Exodus 33:1-33:23

33 Then the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “Leave this place, you 🅰️and the people👥 you brought up🆙 out of Egypt, 🅰️and go up🆙 to2️⃣ the land🗺️ I promised on🔛 oath🗣️ to2️⃣ Abraham, Isaac 🅰️and Jacob, saying🗣️, ‘I will give it to2️⃣ your descendants👨‍👩‍👧‍👦.’ 2 I will send📤 🅰️an 👼angel 🐝before4️⃣ you and drive🚗🚘 out the Canaanites, 🅰️Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites 🅰️and Jebusites. 3 Go up🆙 to2️⃣ the land🗺️ flowing with milk🍼🥛 and honey🍯🐝. But I will ❎not❎ go with you, 🐝because you are 🅰️a stiff-necked people👥 and I might 💣destroy💣 you on🔛 the way.”

4 When the people👥 heard👂 these distressing words🔠🔡, they👥 🐝began to2️⃣ mourn😫 and ❎no❎ one1️⃣ put on🔛 any ornaments📿💄💍💎. 5 For4️⃣ the Lord had said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “Tell🗣️ the Israelites, ‘You are 🅰️a stiff-necked people👥. If I were to2️⃣ go with you even for4️⃣ a🅰️ moment, I might 💣destroy💣 you. Now take off your ornaments📿💄💍💎 and I will decide🤔 what to2️⃣ do with you.’” 6 So the Israelites stripped👯 off their ornaments📿💄💍💎 🅰️at Mount⛰️ Horeb.

The Tent of Meeting

7 Now Moses👴🏽 used to2️⃣ take a🅰️ tent⛺ and pitch it outside the camp🎪 some distance↔️ 🅰️away, calling📞 it the “tent⛺ of 🤝meeting🤝.” Anyone1️⃣ inquiring of the Lord would go to2️⃣ the tent⛺ of 🤝meeting🤝 outside the camp🎪. 8 🅰️And whenever Moses👴🏽 went out to2️⃣ the tent⛺, 🅰️all the people👥 rose⬆️ and stood🕴️ 🅰️at the entrances to2️⃣ their tents⛺⛺, watching👀 Moses👴🏽 until he entered↩️ the tent⛺. 9 🅰️As Moses👴🏽 went into2️⃣ the tent⛺, the pillar of ☁️cloud☁️ would come down⬇️⬇️⬇️ and stay 🅰️at the entrance↩️, while the Lord spoke🗣️ with Moses👴🏽.10 Whenever the people👥 saw👀 the pillar of ☁️cloud☁️ standing🕴️ at the entrance to2️⃣ the tent⛺, they👥 all stood🕴️ and worshiped🙏, each 🅰️at the entrance to2️⃣ their tent⛺. 11 The Lord would speak🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽 face to2️⃣ face, 🅰️as one1️⃣ speaks🗣️ to2️⃣ a2️⃣ friend. Then Moses👴🏽 would return↩️ to2️⃣ the camp🎪, but his young👶 aide Joshua son👦 of Nun did ❎not❎ leave the tent⛺.

Moses and the Glory of the Lord

12 Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ the Lord, “You have 🐝been telling🗣️ me, ‘Lead these people👥,’ but you have ❎not❎ let me know🎓 whom you will send📤 with me. You have said🗣️, ‘I know you by name 🅰️and you have 🔎found🔍 favor☺️ with me.’ 13 If you are pleased☺️ with me, teach🎓 me your ways so I may know🎓 you 🅰️and continue to2️⃣ find favor with you. Remember🤔💭 that this nation🌐 is your people👥.”

14 The Lord replied🗣️, “My Presence will go with you, 🅰️and I will give you 💤rest💤.”

15 Then Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ him, “If your Presence Does ❎not❎ go with us👥, do ❎not❎ send📤 us👥 up🆙 from here.16 How will 🅰️anyone1️⃣ know🎓 that you 🅰️are pleased☺️ with me 🅰️and with your people👥 unless you go with us👥❓ What else will 🔎distinguish🔍 me 🅰️and your people👥 from 🅰️all the other people👥 on🔛 the face of the 🌍🌏earth🌏🗺️❓”

17 And the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “I will do the very thing you have asked🗣️, 🐝because I 🅰️am pleased☺️ with you 🅰️and I know🎓 you by name.”

18 Then Moses👴🏽 said🗣️, “Now show👁️‍🗨️ me your glory.”

19 And the Lord said❓, “I will cause 🅰️all my 👍goodness👌👌 to2️⃣ pass in front of you, 🅰️and I will proclaim🗣️ my name, the Lord, in your 🎁presence. I will have mercy on🔛 whom I will have mercy, 🅰️and I will have compassion on🔛 whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said🗣️, “you ❎cannot❎ see👁️ my face, for4️⃣ ❎no❎ one1️⃣ may see👁️ me 🅰️and live.”

21 Then the Lord said🗣️, “There is 🅰️a place near me where you may stand🕴️ on🔛 a🅰️ rock🗿. 22 When my glory😇 passes by, I will put you in a🅰️ cleft in the rock🗿 🅰️and cover you with my hand🤚 until I have passed by. 23 Then I will ❎remove❎ my hand🤚 🅰️and you will see👁️ my back🔙; but my face must ❎not❎ be🐝 seen👁️.”