Exodus 2:1-2:25

The Birth of Moses

2 Now a🅰️ man of the tribe of Levi👨🏼 married🤵👰💍 a🅰️ Levite woman, 2 and she 🐝became pregnant🤰 and gave birth🤰 to2️⃣ a🅰️ son. When she saw👁️ that he was a🅰️ fine child👶👦👧, she hid him for4️⃣ three3️⃣ months📅. 3 But when she could hide him 🚫no🚫 longer, she got a🅰️ papyrus basket🗑️🛒 for4️⃣ him and coated👘 it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child👶👦👧 in it and put it 🅰️among the reeds 🅰️along the bank🏦 of the Nile🏞️. 4 His sister stood🕴️ at a🅰️ distance↔️ to2️⃣ see👁️ what would happen to2️⃣ him.

5 Then Pharaoh’s👳 daughter went down⬇️ to2️⃣ the Nile🏞️ to2️⃣ bathe, and her attendants were walking🚶 🅰️along the 🏞️riverbank🏦. She saw the basket🗑️🛒 🅰️among the reeds and sent📤 her female♀️ slave to2️⃣ get it. 6 She opened it and saw👁️ the baby👶. He was crying😭, and she felt sorry😿 for4️⃣ him. “This is one1️⃣ of the Hebrew babies👶,” she said🗣️.

7 Then his sister asked🗣️ Pharaoh’s👳 daughter👧, “Shall I go and get one1️⃣ of the Hebrew women👭 to2️⃣ nurse👩‍⚕️ the baby👶 for4️⃣ you❓”

8 “Yes✔️, go,” she answered🗣️. So the girl went and got the baby’s👶 mother🤰. 9 Pharaoh’s👳 daughter said🗣️ to2️⃣ her, “Take this baby👶 and nurse👩‍⚕️ him for4️⃣ me, and I will 💰pay💰 you.” So the woman took the baby👶 and nursed👩‍⚕️ him. 10 When the child👶👦👧 grew older, she took him to2️⃣ Pharaoh’s👳 daughter and he 🐝became her son👦. She named him Moses👴🏽, saying🗣️, “I drew✏️ him out of the 🌊💧water💦💦.”

Moses Flees to Midian

11 One1️⃣ day📆, after Moses👴🏽 had grown up🆙, he went out to2️⃣ where his own people👥 were and watched👁️ them at their hard labor. He saw👁️ an Egyptian beating a🅰️ Hebrew, one1️⃣ of his own people👥. 12 Looking👁️ this way and that and seeing👁️ 🚫no🚫 one1️⃣, he ☠️killed☠️ the Egyptian and hid him in the sand🏜️.13 The next day📆 he went out and saw👁️ two2️⃣ Hebrews fighting🤼🤺. He asked🗣️ the one1️⃣ in the wrong, “Why are you hitting🏏 your fellow Hebrew❓”

14 The man said🗣️, “Who ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 you ruler📏📐 and judge👩‍⚖️ over us👥❓ Are you thinking🤔💭 of ☠️killing☠️ me as you ☠️killed☠️ the Egyptian❓” Then Moses👴🏽 was 🅰️afraid😱 and thought🤔💭, “What I did must have 🐝become known🎓.”

15 When Pharaoh😝 heard👂 of this, he tried to2️⃣ ☠️kill☠️ Moses👴🏽, but Moses👴🏽 fled🏃 from Pharaoh👳 and went to2️⃣ live in Midian, where he sat💺 down⬇️ by a🅰️ well. 16 Now a🅰️ priest🤵 of Midian had seven7️⃣ daughters👭, and they👥 came to2️⃣ draw 🌊💧water💦💦 and fill the troughs to2️⃣ 🌊💧water💦💦 their father’s👴 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫flock🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥. 17 Some shepherds came 🅰️along and drove🚗🚘 them 🅰️away, but Moses👴🏽 got up⬆️ and came to2️⃣ their rescue and 🌊💧watered💦💦 their 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫flock🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥.

18 When the girls👭 returned to2️⃣ Reuel their father👴, he asked🗣️ them👥, “Why have you returned↩️ so early 2️⃣today📆❓”

19 They👥 answered🗣️, “An Egyptian rescued us👥 from the shepherds. He even drew 🌊💧water💦💦 for4️⃣ us👥 and 🌊💧watered💦💦 the 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫flock🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥.”

20 “And where is he👴🏽❓” Reuel asked🗣️ his daughters👭. “Why did you leave him👴🏽❓ Invite him👴🏽 to2️⃣ have something to2️⃣ eat.”

21 Moses👴🏽 agreed☑️ to2️⃣ stay with the man, who gave his daughter👧 Zipporah to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽 in marriage.22 Zipporah gave birth🤰 to2️⃣ a🅰️ son, and Moses👴🏽 named him Gershom👦🏽, saying🗣️, “I have 🐝become a🅰️ foreigner in a🅰️ foreign land🗺️.”

23 During that long period, the 👑king🤴 of Egypt 💀died💀. The Israelites groaned😖 in their slavery and cried😭 out, and their cry😭 for4️⃣ help 🐝because of their slavery went up⬆️ to2️⃣ God. 24 God heard👂 their groaning😖 and he remembered🤔💭 his covenant with Abraham👴, with Isaac👴 and with Jacob👴🏻. 25 So God looked👀 on🔛 the Israelites👥 and was concerned 🅰️about them👥.