Exodus 16:1-16:36

Manna and Quail

16 The whole Israelite community🏘️ set out from Elim and came to2️⃣ the Desert🏜️ of Sin, which is ➡️between⬅️ Elim and Sinai, on🔛 the fifteenth1️⃣5️⃣ day📆 of the second🥈 month📆 after they👥 had come out of Egypt. 2 In the desert🏜️ the whole community🏘️ grumbled😒 against Moses👴🏽 and Aaron. 3 The Israelites said🗣️ to2️⃣ them👥, “If only we had 💀died💀 by the Lord’s hand🤚 in Egypt! There we sat💺 🅰️around🔄🔃 pots🍯🏺⚱️ of meat and ate all the 🍉🥕🌶️🍄🥒🥜🍗🍞🥖🍟🥞🧀🌭🌮🥙🥚food🥘🍲🥗🍿🍱🍘🍛🍜🍝🍡🍦🍢🍨🍣🍩🎂🍪🍰☕🥛🍺🍬🍮🥃🍶 we wanted😊, but you have brought us👥 out into2️⃣ this desert🏜️ to2️⃣ starve this entire assembly👥 to2️⃣ 💀death💀.”

4 Then the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “I will rain🌧️ down⬇️ 🥖bread🍞 from 🌤️heaven🌤️ for4️⃣ you. The people👥 are to2️⃣ go out each ☀️day☀️ and gather enough for4️⃣ that day. In this way I will test them and see👁️ whether they💀 will follow my instructions🗣️. 5 On the sixth6️⃣ ☀️day☀️ they👥 are to2️⃣ prepare what they👥 bring in, and that is to2️⃣ be🐝 twice✖️2️⃣ as much as they👥 gather on🔛 the other days📆.”

6 So Moses👴🏽 and Aaron said🗣️ to2️⃣ all the Israelites, “In the 🌙evening🌙 you will know🎓 that it was the Lord who brought you out of Egypt, 7 and in the ⛅morning⛅ you will see the glory😇 of the Lord, 🐝because he has heard👂 your grumbling😒 against him. Who are we, that you should grumble😒 🅰️against us❓” 8 Moses👴🏽 also said🗣️, “You will know🎓 that it was the Lord when he gives you meat to2️⃣ eat in the 🌙evening🌙 and all the 🍞bread🥖 you want😋 in the ☀️morning☀️, 🐝because he has heard👂 your grumbling😒 🅰️against him. Who are we❓ You are ❎not❎ grumbling😒 🅰️against us,🍑 but 🅰️against the Lord.”

9 Then Moses👴🏽 told🗣️ Aaron, “Say🗣️ to2️⃣ the entire Israelite community🏘️, ‘Come 🐝before4️⃣ the Lord, for4️⃣ he has heard👂 your grumbling😒.’”

10 While Aaron was speaking🗣️ to2️⃣ the whole Israelite community🏘️, they👥 looked👀 2️⃣toward the desert🏜️, and there was the glory😇 of the Lord 🅰️appearing in the ☁️cloud☁️.

11 The Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, 12 “I have heard☀️ the grumbling😒 of the Israelites. Tell🗣️ them👥, ‘At twilight you will eat meat, and in the 🌥️morning🌥️ you will be filled with 🥖bread🍞. Then you will know🎓 that I am the Lord your God.’”

13 That 🌙evening🌙 quail🦃 came and covered the camp🎪, and in the 🌥️morning🌥️ there was a🅰️ layer of 💦dew💧 🅰️around🔃🔄 the camp🎪. 14 When the 💧dew💦 was gone, thin ❄️flakes❄️ like frost❄️ on🔛 the ground 🅰️appeared on🔛 the desert🏜️ floor. 15 When the Israelites saw👁️ it, they👥 said🗣️ to2️⃣ each other, “What is it❓” For4️⃣ they👥 did ❎not❎ know🎓 what it was.

Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ them👥, “It is the 🍞bread🥖 the Lord has given you to2️⃣ eat. 16 This is what the Lord has commanded🗣️: ‘Everyone1️⃣ is to2️⃣ gather as much as they👥 need. Take 🅰️an omer🌽 for4️⃣ each person👤 you have in your tent⛺.’”

17 The Israelites did as they👥 were told🗣️; some gathered much, some little. 18 And when they👥 measured📏📐 it by the omer🌽, the one1️⃣ who gathered much did ❌not❌ have too2️⃣ much, and the one1️⃣ who gathered little did ❌not❌ have too2️⃣ little. Everyone1️⃣ had gathered just as much as they👥 needed.

19 Then Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ them👥, “❎No❎ one1️⃣ is to2️⃣ keep any of it until 🌥️morning🌥️.”

20 However, some of them 💰paid💰 ❌no❌ attention to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽; they👥 kept part of it until 🌥️morning🌥️, but it was full of maggots🐛🐜🕷️ and 🐝began to2️⃣ smell👃. So Moses👴🏽 was angry😡 with them👥.

21 Each 🌥️morning🌥️ everyone1️⃣ gathered as much as they👥 needed, and when the sun🌞 grew hot🔥🌡️, it 🔥melted🔥 🅰️away. 22 On the sixth6️⃣ ☀️day☀️, they👥 gathered twice✖️2️⃣ as much ➖ two2️⃣ omers🌽 for4️⃣ each person👤 ➖ and the leaders of the community🏘️ came and reported this to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽. 23 He said🗣️ to2️⃣ them👥, “This is what the Lord commanded🗣️: ‘Tomorrow is to2️⃣ be🐝 a🅰️ ☀️day☀️ of sabbath rest💤, a🅰️ holy😇 sabbath to2️⃣ the Lord. So bake🍞🥐🥖🥞🍩🍪🎂🍰🍮 what you want to2️⃣ 🍞🥐🥖🥞🍩🍪🎂🍰🍮bake and boil🥛☕🍵🍶 what you want to2️⃣ boil🥛☕🍵🍶. Save whatever is left⬅️ and keep it until 🌥️morning🌥️.’”

24 So they👥 saved it until 🌥️morning🌥️, as Moses👴🏽 commanded🗣️, and it did 🚫not🚫 stink👃 or get maggots🐛🐜🕷️ in it. 25 “Eat it 2️⃣today☀️,” Moses👴🏽 said🗣️, “🐝because 2️⃣today☀️ is a🅰️ sabbath to2️⃣ the Lord. You will 🚫not🚫 find any of it on🔛 the ground 2️⃣today☀️. 26 Six6️⃣ days📆 you are to2️⃣ gather it, but on🔛 the seventh7️⃣ ☀️day☀️, the Sabbath, there will 🚫not🚫 be🐝 🅰️any.”

27 Nevertheless, some of the people👥 went out on🔛 the seventh7️⃣ ☀️day☀️ to2️⃣ gather it, but they found ⛔none⛔. 28 Then the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “How long will you ⛔refuse⛔ to2️⃣ keep my commands🗣️ and my instructions❓ 29 Bear🐻 in mind🤔💭 that the Lord has given you the Sabbath; that is why on🔛 the sixth6️⃣ day he gives you 🍞bread🥖 for4️⃣ two2️⃣ days📆. Everyone1️⃣ is to2️⃣ stay where they👥 are on🔛 the seventh7️⃣ ☀️day☀️; 🚫no🚫 one1️⃣ is to2️⃣ go out.” 30 So the people👥 💤rested💤 on🔛 the seventh7️⃣ ☀️day☀️.

31 The people👥 of Israel called📞 the 🍞bread🥖 manna. It was white like coriander seed and tasted👅 like wafers ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 with honey🍯. 32 Moses👴🏽 said🗣️, “This is what the Lord has commanded🗣️: ‘Take 🅰️an omer🌽 of manna and keep it for4️⃣ the generations to2️⃣ come, so they👥 can see👁️ the 🍞bread🥖 I gave you to2️⃣ eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”

33 So Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ Aaron, “Take a🅰️ jar🍯🏺 and put an omer🌽 of manna in it. Then place it 🐝before4️⃣ the Lord to2️⃣ be🐝 kept for4️⃣ the generations to2️⃣ come.”

34 As the Lord commanded🗣️ Moses👴🏽, Aaron put the manna with the tablets💊 of the covenant law⚖️, so that it might be🐝 preserved. 35 The Israelites ate manna forty4️⃣0️⃣ years📅, until they came to2️⃣ a🅰️ land🗺️ that was settled🏡; they👥 ate manna until they👥 reached the border of Canaan.

36 (🅰️An omer🌽 is 1️⃣one-tenth🔟 of 🅰️an ephah.)