Exodus 32:1-32:35

The Golden Calf

32 When the people👥 saw👁️ that Moses👴🏽 was so long in coming down⬇️⬇️⬇️ from the mountain🏔️, they👥 gathered 🅰️around🔃🔄 Aaron and said🗣️, “Come, ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 us👥 gods who will go 🐝before4️⃣ us👥. 🅰️As for4️⃣ this fellow Moses👴🏽 who brought us👥 up🆙 out of Egypt, we ⛔don’t⛔ know🎓 what has happened to2️⃣ him.”

2 Aaron 🅰️answered them👥, “Take off the 🎖️🏆gold🏅🥇 👂earrings💍 that your wives👭, your sons👬 🅰️and your daughters👭 are wearing, 🅰️and bring them👥 to2️⃣ me.”3 So 🅰️all the people👥 took off their 👂earrings💍 and brought them👥 to2️⃣ Aaron. 4 He took what they👥 🤚handed him 🅰️and ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 it into2️⃣ 🅰️an idol cast in the shape of a🅰️ calf🐮🐂🐃🐐🐄, fashioning it with a🅰️ 🔨⛏️⚒️🛠️tool. Then they👥 said🗣️, “These 🅰️are your gods, Israel, who brought you up🆙 out of Egypt.”

5 When Aaron saw👁️ this, he ⛏️⚒️built🛠️🔨 🅰️an altar🛐 in front of the calf🐮🐂🐃🐐🐄 and 🅰️announced🗣️, “Tomorrow there will be🐝 a🅰️ 🎉festival🎊 to2️⃣ the Lord.” 6 So the next ☀️day☀️ the people👥 rose⬆️ early🌄 and sacrificed 🔥burnt🔥 offerings 🅰️and 🎁presented fellowship🚤🛳️⛴️🛥️🚢 offerings. 🅰️Afterward they👥 sat💺 down⬇️⬇️⬇️ to2️⃣ eat and drink🍶 and got up⬆️ to2️⃣ indulge in revelry.

7 Then the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “Go down⬇️, 🐝because your people👥, whom you brought up🆙 out of Egypt, have 🐝become corrupt. 8 They👥 have 🐝been ⚡quick⚡ to2️⃣ turn↩️↪️ 🅰️away from what I commanded🗣️ them👥 🅰️and have ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 themselves 🅰️an idol cast in the shape of 🅰️a calf🐮🐂🐃🐄🐐. They👥 have 🙇bowed down⬇️ to2️⃣ it 🅰️and sacrificed to2️⃣ it and have said🗣️, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up🆙 out of Egypt.’

9 “I have seen👁️ these people👥,” the Lord said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “🅰️and they👥 are a🅰️ stiff-necked people👥. 10 Now leave me 🅰️alone👤 so that my 😡anger😡 may 🔥burn🔥 🅰️against them👥 and that I may 💥destroy💥 them👥. Then I will ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 you into2️⃣ a🅰️ great👍 nation🌐.”

11 But Moses👴🏽 sought the favor of the Lord his God. “Lord,” he said🗣️, “why should your 😡anger 🔥burn🔥 🅰️against your people👥, whom you brought out of Egypt with great👍 💥power💥 and 🅰️a mighty hand🤚❓ 12 Why should the Egyptians say🗣️, ‘It was with 😈evil intent that he brought them👥 out, to2️⃣ ☠️kill☠️ them👥 in the mountains⛰️ and to2️⃣ wipe them👥 off the face of the 🌍🌎earth🌏🗺️’❓ ↪️Turn↩️ from your 🔥fierce🔥 anger😡; relent 🅰️and do ❎not❎ bring disaster🌪️🌩️⛈️ on🔛 your people👥. 13 Remember🤔💭 your servants 🅰️Abraham, Isaac 🅰️and Israel, to2️⃣ whom you swore🗣️ by your own self: ‘I will ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 your descendants👶👦👧 🅰️as 🔢numerous#️⃣ 🅰️as the ✨stars✨ in the 🌥️sky🌥️ and I will give your descendants👶👦👧 all this land🗺️ I promised them👥, 🅰️and it will be🐝 their👥 inheritance 4️⃣forever.’” 14 Then the Lord relented and did ❎not❎ bring on🔛 his people👶 the disaster🌪️⛈️ he had threatened.

15 Moses👴🏽 ⤵️turned⤴️ and went down⬇️⬇️⬇️ the mountain🏔️ with the two2️⃣ tablets of the covenant law⚖️ in his hands👐. They👥 were inscribed on🔛 both ⬅️sides➡️, front⬆️ and back⬇️. 16 The tablets were the work of God; the writing✍️ was the writing✍️ of God, engraved on🔛 the tablets.

17 When Joshua heard👂 the noise🔊 of the people👥 shouting🗣️, he said🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “There is the sound🔊 of war🤼 in the camp.”

18 Moses👴🏽 replied🗣️:

“It is ❎not❎ the sound👂🔊 of victory🏆🏅🥇,
    it is ❎not❎ the sound👂🔊 of defeat;
    it is the sound👂🔊 of singing🎤 that I hear👂.”

19 When Moses👴🏽 🅰️approached the camp and saw👁️ the calf🐮🐂🐃🐄🐐 and the dancing💃👯👯, his 😤anger 🔥burned🔥 and he threw the tablets out of his hands👐, 💔breaking them👥 to2️⃣ pieces🍉🌽🥜🍞🍟🍿🍪🎂🍰🍫🍬 at the foot👣 of the mountain🏔️. 20 🅰️And he took the calf🐮🐂🐃🐄🐐 the people👥 had ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 🅰️and 🔥burned🔥 it in the 🔥fire🔥; then he ground it to2️⃣ powder☃️🍚, scattered it on🔛 the 🌊💧water💦💦 and ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 the Israelites drink🍶 it.

21 He said🗣️ to2️⃣ 🅰️Aaron, “What did these people👥 do to2️⃣ you, that you led them👥 into2️⃣ such great sin😈❓”

22 “Do ❎not❎ be🐝 angry😤, my lord,” Aaron answered🗣️. “You know🎓 how prone these people👥 are to2️⃣ evil😈. 23 They👥 said🗣️ to2️⃣ me, ‘⛏️⚒️Make🛠️🔨 us👥 gods who will go 🐝before4️⃣ us👥. As for4️⃣ this fellow Moses👴🏽 who brought us👥 up🆙 out of Egypt, we ⛔don’t⛔ know🎓 what has happened to2️⃣ him.’ 24 So I told🗣️ them👥, ‘Whoever has 🅰️any 🎖️🏆gold🏅🥇 jewelry📿💍, take it off.’ Then they👥 gave me the 🎖️🏆gold🏅🥇, 🅰️and I threw it into2️⃣ the 🔥fire🔥, and out came this calf🐮🐂🐃🐄🐐❗”

25 Moses👴🏽 saw👁️ that the people👥 were running🏃 wild 🅰️and that Aaron had let them👥 get out of control 🅰️and so 🐝become 🅰️a 🤣😁😊laughingstock to2️⃣ their enemies👹👺. 26 So he stood🕴️ 🅰️at the entrance↩️ to2️⃣ the camp🎪 and said🗣️, “Whoever is for4️⃣ the Lord, come to2️⃣ me.” And 🅰️all the Levites rallied📢 to2️⃣ him.

27 Then he said🗣️ to2️⃣ them👥, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says🗣️: ‘Each man strap a🅰️ sword🗡️ to2️⃣ his side. Go back🔙 and forth through the camp🎪 from one1️⃣ end🔚 to2️⃣ the other, each ☠️killing☠️ his brother 🅰️and friend 🅰️and neighbor.’” 28 The Levites did 🅰️as Moses👴🏽 commanded🗣️, and that ☀️day☀️ 🆎about three3️⃣ thousand1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ of the people👥 💀died💀. 29 Then Moses👴🏽 said🗣️, “You have 🐝been set 🅰️apart to2️⃣ the Lord 2️⃣today☀️, for4️⃣ you were 🅰️against your own sons👬 and brothers👬, and he has blessed😇 you this ☀️day☀️.”

30 The next ☀️day☀️ Moses👴🏽 said🗣️ to2️⃣ the people👥, “You have committed a🅰️ great sin👿. But now I will go up🆙 to the Lord; perhaps I can ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 🅰️atonement for4️⃣ your sin😈.”

31 So Moses👴🏽 went back🔙 to2️⃣ the Lord and said🗣️, “Oh, what a🅰️ great sin😈 these people👥 have committed! ❗They👥 have ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 themselves gods of 🎖️🏆gold🏅🥇. 32 But now, please 4️⃣forgive their sin😈 ➖ but if ❎not❎, then blot me out of the book📕📔📖📗📘📙📚📓📒📑 you have written✍️.”

33 The Lord replied🗣️ to2️⃣ Moses👴🏽, “Whoever has 😈sinned 🅰️against me I will blot out of my book📖📗📘📙📚📓📒📑. 34 Now go, lead the people👥 to2️⃣ the place I spoke🗣️ of, 🅰️and my 👼angel👼 will go 🐝before4️⃣ you. However, when the ⌚⏰⏱️time⏲️🕰️🕛 comes for4️⃣ me to2️⃣ ⛓️punish⛓️, I will ⛓️punish⛓️ them👥 for4️⃣ their👥 sin😈.”

35 🅰️And the Lord struck the people👥 with a🅰️ plague🤒😷🤢🤧 🐝because of what they👥 did with the calf🐮🐂🐃🐄🐐 Aaron had ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨.