Exodus 5:1-5:23

Bricks Without Straw

5 Afterward Moses👴🏽 and Aaron went to2️⃣ Pharaoh👳 and said🗣️, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel👴🏻, says🗣️: ‘Let my people👥 go, so that they👥 may hold a🅰️ festival to2️⃣ me in the wilderness.’”

2 Pharaoh👳 said🗣️, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel👴🏻 go❓ I do ❌not❌ know🎓 the Lord and I will ❌not❌ let Israel👴🏻 go.”

3 Then they👥 said🗣️, “The God of the Hebrews has met🤝 with us👥. Now let us👥 take a🅰️ 3️⃣three-day☀️ journey into2️⃣ the wilderness to2️⃣ offer sacrifices to2️⃣ the Lord our God, or he may 💢strike💢 us👥 with plagues🤢 or with the ⚔️sword⚔️.”

4 But the 👑king🤴 of Egypt said🗣️, “Moses👴🏽 and Aaron, why are you taking the people👥 🅰️away from their labor❓ Get back🔙 to2️⃣ your work❗” 5 Then Pharaoh👳 said🗣️, “Look👁️, the people👥 of the land🗺️ are now numerous#️⃣, and you are 🛑stopping🛑 them👥 from working.”

6 That same ☀️day☀️ Pharaoh👳 gave this order🗣️ to2️⃣ the slave drivers🚗🚘 and overseers in charge of the people👥: 7 “You are 🚫no🚫 longer to2️⃣ supply the people👥 with straw for™️ making bricks🏚️; let them go and gather their👥 own straw. 8 But require them👥 to2️⃣ ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 the same number#️⃣ of bricks🏚️ as 🐝before4️⃣; 🚫don’t🚫 reduce the quota. They are lazy😴; that is why they are crying😭 out, ‘Let us👥 go and sacrifice to2️⃣ our God.’ 9 Make the work harder for4️⃣ the people👥 so that they keep working and 💰pay💰 🚫no🚫 🅰️attention to2️⃣ lies.”

10 Then the slave drivers🚘🚗 and the overseers went out and said🗣️ to2️⃣ the people👥, “This is what Pharaoh👳 says🗣️: ‘I will 🚫not🚫 give you 🅰️any more straw. 11 Go and get your own straw wherever you can find it, but your work will 🚫not🚫 be🐝 reduced at 🅰️all.’” 12 So the people👥 scattered all over Egypt to2️⃣ gather stubble to2️⃣ use for4️⃣ straw. 13 The slave drivers🚘🚗 kept pressing them, saying🗣️, “Complete☑️ the work required of you for4️⃣ each ☀️day☀️, just 🅰️as when you had straw.” 14 And Pharaoh’s👳 slave drivers🚗🚘 beat the Israelite👥 overseers they had 🅰️appointed, 🗣️demanding, “Why 🚫haven’t🚫 you met your quota of bricks🏚️ yesterday☀️ or 2️⃣today☀️, as 🐝before4️⃣❓”

15 Then the Israelite👥 overseers went and 🅰️appealed to2️⃣ Pharaoh👳: “Why have you treated your servants👯 this way❓ 16 Your servants👯 are given 🚫no🚫 straw, yet we👥 are told🗣️, ‘⛏️⚒️Make🛠️🔨 bricks🏚️❗’ Your servants👯 are 🐝being beaten, but the fault is with your own people👥.”

17 Pharaoh👳 said🗣️, “Lazy😴, that’s what you are ➖ lazy😴❗ That is why you keep saying🗣️, ‘Let us👥 go and sacrifice to2️⃣ the Lord.’ 18 Now get to2️⃣ work. You will 🚫not🚫 be🐝 given any straw, yet you must produce your full quota of bricks🏚️.”

19 The Israelite👥 overseers realized they👥 were in trouble when they👥 were told🗣️, “You are 🚫not🚫 to2️⃣ reduce the number#️⃣ of bricks🏚️ required of you for4️⃣ each ☀️day☀️.” 20 When they👥 left⬅️ Pharaoh👳, they👥 found Moses👴🏽 and Aaron waiting to2️⃣ meet🤝 them👥, 21 and they👥 said🗣️, “May the Lord look👀 on🔛 you and judge👩‍⚖️ you❗ You have ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 us👥 obnoxious to2️⃣ Pharaoh👳 and his officials and have put a🅰️ ⚔️sword⚔️ in their hand🤚 to2️⃣ ☠️kill☠️ us👥.”

God Promises Deliverance

22 Moses👴🏽 returned to2️⃣ the Lord and said🗣️, “Why, Lord, why have you brought trouble on🔛 this people👥❓ Is this why you sent📤 me❓ 23 Ever since I went to2️⃣ Pharaoh👳 to2️⃣ speak🗣️ in your name, he has brought trouble on🔛 this people👥, and you have ❌not❌ rescued your people👥 at all.”