Chaper 1

"Hey daddy! It's Makayla! Um.... so.... I made the team. Yeah, we had tryouts a while ago! Our first game is tomorrow! ! I have practice everyday! My soccer schedule kinda rides in with my school schedule, but I manage. I want you to wake up daddy! I miss you! Carl's coming to see you tomorrow!" I say this while crying. I can't stop the tears from coming. I play soccer for the adult recreation team. I go to the police academy. Then the doctor comes in and tells me that I have to go. "Um... okay... just call me if anything changes!" "Will do Ms. Grimes!" I then walk out of the hospital to see mom and Carl sitting in the car. I walk up there and get in. "How's he doing?" Lori says. "He's doing good." Then Lori's phone rings. "Hello.......... what...... wait Shane hold on........ crap......... we're at the hospital.... I was getting Makayla...... okay..... I will meet you here..... yeah bye." "What's going on mom?!" Carl says worriedly. "Something happened. There's a been a big outbreak of some disease. We're gonna go home and grab our clothes." "What about my father!" "Shane will take care if it! Let's go!" We then drive home and we all run to our rooms. I grab clothes, tampons, my combat boots, the gun dad gave me for my 19 birthday, my 3 pocket knifes, my box of memories, hair ties, and my cowgirl hat. My dad got my hat for me when I turned 12, somehow i haven't out grown it. My dad has been teaching me how to shoot since I was 7, and he gave me the gun when I got my license. I got the pocket knifes from Shane and two other guys from the police station. They all know me, I have been going to the station since I was 5. I have always taken after my dad. I always wanted to be a cop, and I still do. I run down stairs and start grabbing food and drinks. I grab the pistol that dad keeps under the table and put it in my waistband under my shirt. Mom and Carl don't know about the gun, but Shane, dad, and I do. I then run to the living room to see they are there waiting on me. They start to walk out of the house when I throw my bags down causing them to stop. "One more thing!" I run upstairs and grab my soccer ball. This is the last thing I got from dad before he got shot and went into a coma. I run back downstairs, grab my bags, and head to the car. I sit in the passenger side and Carl sits in the back seat. We then drive to the hospital.

Once we get there I jump out before mom can say anything. I see Shane coming towards us, I try to run past him, but he grabs me by the waist. "No! We have to get dad!" "Makayla! Makayla he's dead!" No! Then I feel myself decompose. I can't move I can't breathe. No! He can't be dead! No! "Daddy! No! He's not dead! He can't be dead!" "He had no pulse!" Then we reach the car and he puts me in the back seat with Carl. "Lori Carl, your dads dead. I put my head on his chest and didn't hear a heart beat. I put my fingers on his neck and didn't feel a pulse! I'm so sorry!" Then Carl turns to me and cries into my chest. "He's dead? !" Carl cries. I then run his back comfortably.

Carl had moved back to the other window seat and was looking out the window. I looked out mine only to see a man bite another guys shoulder. I scream and Shane stops the car. They all look at me and I just unbuckle Carla seat belt and pull him into the seat next to me. Mom looks out her window and screams as well. Shane sees what's going on and speeds off. I tell Carl to go to sleep, so he will close his eyes. He lays his head on my laps and within minutes he's out. Mom looks at me and sadly smiles. "You ok Kayla?" "Mom! Dads dead! I was just there this morning! The doctors said he was doing perfect!" "I know sweetie! I'm sorry!" "Mom? What's happening!" "They said it was some kind of disease!" "I saw a guy bite somebody! He was like..... all.... dead looking!" "Maybe the dead are walking!" Shane says. "They need names! How about walkers!" "Walkers? I line that! Leave it to Makayla to make light of the situation!" Shane says. "Well.... my daughter takes after her dad and uncle Shane!" Mom says jokingly. "Wait! Your blaming this on me?!" Shane says jokingly. "Well! Your around her as much as I am so!" "Hey! Carl takes after you mom!" "How so?" "I don't know! He just does!" Then we all start laughing. Then we come to a tragic block. "Hey Makayla stay here with your brother!" "Where are y'all going?!" "We're gonna go over here and see what's going on!" "Okay!" Then they step out of the car and leave. Carl wakes up and looks at me scared. "Shh! It's ok bub! We're just getting some gas! Go to sleep!" "Okay K will you sing to me?" "Of course Bub! What do you want me to sing?"
Of all the money that e'er I spent
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that ever I did
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all
If I had money enough to spend
And leisure to sit awhile
There is a fair maid in the town
That sorely has my heart beguiled
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips
I own she has my heart enthralled
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all
Oh, all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

That was always our song. I look down only to see him asleep. Mom and Shane must have cam while I was singing, because they are standing there smiling. Then I look to there side and see a women and little girl smiling. "You have a pretty voice!" The little girl sings. "Thank you sweetie! Would you like for me to sing a song for you?" "Yes please!" "Come here!" I say holding an arm out for her. She looks to her mom and she nods. She claims in and puts her head in the crook of my neck. "What shall I sing!" "Do you know 'butterfly fly away' by Hannah Montana?" "Yes I do,"

You tucked me in, turned out the light
Kept me safe and sound at night
Little girls depend on things like that
Brushed my teeth and combed my hair
Had to drive me everywhere
You were always there when I looked back
You had to do it all alone
Make a livin', make a home
Must have been as hard as it could be
And when I couldn't sleep at night
Scared things wouldn't turn out right
You would hold my hand and sing to me
Caterpillar in the tree, how you wonder who you'll be
Can't go far but you can always dream
Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry hold on tight
I promise you that there will come a day
Butterfly fly away
Turned around and you were there
The two of us made quite a pair
Daddy's little girl was here at last
Looked away and back again
Suddenly a year was ten
Don't know how it got so far so fast
And yes I still don't understand
It's not anything we planned
Kind of makes you think it's meant to be (it's a destiny)
I always knew the day would come
You'd stop crawling, start to run
Beautiful as beautiful can be
Caterpillar in the tree
How you wonder who you'll be
Can't go far but you can always dream
Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry, hold on tight
I promise you there will come a day
Butterfly fly away
Butterfly fly away (butterfly fly away)
Got your wings, now you can't stay
Take those dreams and make them all come true
Butterfly fly away (butterfly fly away)
You've been waiting for this day
All along you've known just what to do
Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly, butterfly fly away
Butterfly fly away
I hope you find your way and all the things you wish for, love and care about
Butterfly fly away (oh, won't you fly away)
Butterfly fly away

I look down to see she's asleep to. I look at mom, Shane, and her mom, and see that they are all smiling. "I hope this is okay!" I say to all of them. "Of course!" Mom says. "Fine with me! You seem to be really good with kids!" "Thank you!" "Yeah she is! Which is why I'd don't understand why you wanted to be a cop! You should be a teacher! Maybe even a pro soccer player! Your great at soccer!" "You wanted to be a cop?" "Yeah my dad is.... I mean was a cop!" "Oh I'm so sorry!" "It's okay! He got shot, and went into a coma. He died today!" "In so sorry!" "It's okay! What's you name? I'm Makayla!" "I'm Carol. This is Sophia. My husband is Ed, but he's off somewhere."