Chapter 3

"Amy! Amy! Wake up! Wake up!" I scream with tears clouding my vision. Then she does wake up. Wait! What! She wakes up and grabs Andrea. Then Andrea shoots he in the head. "Makayla?!" I hear Carl say. I get up and run into the woods. I don't know how many people we lost today! I lost one of my best friends! I lost Amy. I can't even think about how Andrea is feeling. I stop running and realize I'm lost. I turn around and start walking back into the area I walked in before. Then I hear a twig snap and I pull out my pocket knife. Guns will only draw more sound. Then i see Daryl Dixon walk up to me. "What are you doing out here!?" "I had to get away! One of my best friends died!" "Im sorry!" "Me to!" "We should probably be getting back to camp!" "Okay! Let's go!" Then he starts walking and I follow him. We walk out of the tree line to see they are starting to bury our dead. I look at them and see Amy, Ed, and a lot of other people I didn't really know. We lost so much today. "K!" Carl screams then runs to me and hugs my waist. "Hey bub!" "Where did you go?!" "I went to go...... talk to my friend Daryl?" I make up. I couldn't tell him that I ran off because I couldn't deal with the pain. "I thought you didn't like him? You held a gun in his face!" I look over to see Daryl smirk. "Um! We were just joking around!" "Oh!" "Makayla! Honey are you okay?!" "Mom! I'm fine!" Then dad calls us all over. "The CDC is Jims best chance!" Dad says. "What about fort benning?!" Shane says. I tune out the conversation and think about Amy. I'm brought out of my thoughts when I hear my name called. "Huh!" "Okay! Here's the seating chart! Carl, Carol, Sophia, Makayla, Lori, and myself will be in Carols Cherokee . Shane Andrea, you two will ride in Shane's car. Daryl and T dog in the truck. The rest will ride in the RV." Then we all go and pack our bags. I grab all my stuff and pack it. "Mommy! She's dead!" I accidentally scream. Everyone looks at me confused. Then I burst into tears. Mom runs over to me and hugs me, pulling us to the ground. "She's dead? My best friends dead!" "Shh! It's okay honey!" I think I finally realized that she died. I finally let my emotions come through. Then I hear dad, Shane, and Daryl talking. "We have to go!" "I need her to be able to lay down somewhere! She won't do good in the crowded car!" "The RV?" "Its already filled. If Jim dies on the road, we will loose her!" "She can lay down in the backseat of my truck?" "Thanks Daryl! I think that's what we will have to do!" Then someone walks over to me and picks me up out of moms arms. They carry me and open the truck door then lay me down. I let the emotions completely overcome me, and I go to sleep.

I feel someone shaking me. I jerk up and pull my pocket knife out of my pocket. "Woah! Man! It's just me! It's Daryl!" I nod at him, but I don't say anything. I get out of the truck and start walking with everyone else. I hear mom call out my name, but I ignore her. We walk up to the doors and dad and Shan start to bang on them. "Please! Let us in! We have women and children! Please! Let us in!" "Rick! Come on there's no one there!" "Walkers!" "Your killing us!" Then someone starts to grab my arm when a blinding light shows up. Then I hear the cock of a gun. "What do you want?!" "A chance!" "That's asking a lot these days!" "I know! Please!" "You submit a blood sample! That's the price of admission!" No! "We can do that!" No I cant! I hate needles! When I was 7 I was kidnapped by this guy. He brought me to his house and injected me n the arm with something. It made me so sick! I ended up in the hospital for a week. He leads us to a room and has us all sit down. Dad goes first then everyone falls in line. Next thing I know it's my turn. I don't even try to move. "Kayla! Come on baby girl!" Dad says trying to get me to move. I still don't. "Is she ok?" The guy asks. "She lost someone close to her!" "I to know what it's like to loose someone close to you!" Somehow this gives me motivation. I get up and walk to mom. "Mommy! Please don't make me do this! I can't do the needle!" "Honey it's okay!" Mom says. "Why are you scared of needles?" Carl asks. "When I was seven I was kidnapped. This guy injected me with something. It put me in the hospital for a week!" Then I notice dad look to Glenn, Shane and Daryl. Shane comes and picks me up by the waist. He carries me and sets me in the chair. Dad and Shan hold my arms. Glenn holds my waist, and Daryl holds my waist. "No! Please! Please!" Then I feel that all to familiar pinch and it increases. Then it stops. "They're you go! All done! That wasn't that bad was it?!" " it as bad as it was 16 years ago!" "Lady's and gentlemen Makayla Brook Grimes is back!" "Oh shut up Shane!" The we all laugh. Then Andrea starts to fall over. "Is she okay?" Dr. Jenner says. "She hasn't eaten! None of us have!" Jacque says. "I can take care of that!" He then leads us to a cafeteria with A LOT of food. We all walk over and pile food on our plates. Then we walk to the big table and sit down. Then the wine comes out. I automatically hold out my glass for some. That is until mom puts her hand on it. "What are you doing missie?!" "Mom! I'm 23! In over the drinking age!" She then looks to Shane and dad. "Legally she's right! Besides I think she should take a load off!" Shane says. Then she looks at dad. "Hey its better then her being off at a party or something and getting drunk, then making bad choices!" "Oh my gosh dad!" "Fine!" "What about me mom?" "No Carl!" "In Italy and France kids have wine with there dinner!" I say. "Well when he's in Italy, he can have some!" "Come on!" Me and dad say at the same time. "Fine!" She says in defeat. Then Dale pours a little bit in his glass and he tries it. "Eww!" "Eww is right! That's my boy!" Mom says grabbing his cup. "Stick to the soda pop bud!" Shane says. "Not you Glenn! Or you Makayla! I want to see how red y'all can get!" Then they all laugh and I grab my cup and down it. "More please!" Dale keeps my cup filled the whole night. I never run out! Next thing I know it's bed time. I walk (more like stumble) to a room. I don't even know who's room it is. I'm to drunk to care. I walk in and fall face first on the floor. Unfortunately I can't sleep. I slept the whole way up here. I grab the medicine that was left on the table and take some. I already feel better. I decide to walk to the rec room and read a book. I walk in there to see in alone. Everyone must be asleep. I look at the clock and see that it is 1:23. I walk to the bookshelf, no longer drunk, and pick out a book. The Soccer girl by Kathryn Annmarie. She is my favorite author of all times. I start to read the book, but soon find myself falling asleep.