Chapter 8

I got my family back! I lost some, but I still have a lot of my family! I don't know what I would do without them! I think I missed something, because there is a very thick tension in the air. "Everyone! Let's get some sleep!" Dad says. "We're sleeping here?" Maggie says. "There's no other choice!" Dad says. Then he and mom walk off to talk. Carol says that he isn't doing good as a leader. "He's doin' alright by me!" Daryl says. "Carol! That is my father! He is trying as hard as he can! He got us out of Atlanta! He found us a safe house! Heck! He even found your daughter when I lost her! My father has done the best he can! If you think different, then you can leave! There's the door! Take it or leave it!" I yell at her. Then dad walks up and says, "she's right! Let's get one thing straight! This isn't a democracy anymore! This is dictatorship!" He says. Then I walk over to mom and Carl. I pull Carl onto my lap and lay my head on moms shoulder. "K? Will you sing to me?" "What would you like for me to sing?" "All the pretty little ponies!" "Okay!"

Hush a bye
Don't you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little ponies

In your bed
Momma said
Baby's riding off to dreamland
One by one
They've begun
Dance and prance for little baby
Blacks and bays, dapples and greys
Running in the night
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little ponies

Can you see the little ponies
Dance before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Will be there when you arise

Can you see the little ponies
Shining before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Gonna be there when you arise

Hush a bye
Don't you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little ponies

I finish singing and see he's fast asleep. "You have a beautiful voice Makayla!" Herschel says. "thank you. I have been singing since I could talk!" We all have a light laugh. I look over and see Beth sitting by herself, slowly falling asleep. "Beth....... Come here!" I say holding my open arm out for her. She walks over to me then sits down, laying her head on my shoulder. "Do you know This Is Me?" "Yep!"

I've always been the kind of girl
That hid my face
So afraid to tell the world
What I've got to say
But I have this dream
Right inside of me
I'm gonna let it show
It's time to let you know
to let you know

This is real
This is me
I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be now
Gonna let the light shine on me
Now I've found who I am
There's no way to hold it in
No more hiding who I wanna be
This is me

Do you know what it's like
To feel so in the dark
To dream about a life
Where you're the shining star
Even though it seems
Like it's too far away
I have to believe in myself
It's the only way

This is real
This is me
I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be now
Gonna let the light shine on me
Now I've found who I am
There's no way to hold it in
No more hiding who I wanna be
This is me

You're the voice I hear inside my head
The reason that I'm singing
I need to find you
I gotta find you
You're the missing piece I need
The song inside of me
I need to find you
I gotta find you

This is real
This is me
I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be now
Gonna let the light shine on me
Now I've found who I am
There's no way to hold it in
No more hiding who I wanna be
This is me

You're the missing piece I need
The song inside of me

This is me

You're the voice I hear inside my head
The reason that I'm singing

Now I've found who I am
There's no way to hold it in
No more hiding who I wanna be
This is me

I look down and see her asleep as well. "Your great with kids!" Maggie's says. "Thanks!" "Were you gonna be a teacher?" "No! I was going to a police academy. I was gonna be an officer like dad and-!" I cut myself off. "Oh! You were gonna be a cop?" "Yeah! I took after my dad more than mom!" "I still don't know why you chose law enforcement. Your great at soccer! Your great with kids! Your great at singing!" Mom says. "You play soccer?" Maggie says. "Yeah! I play year round. I play defense and goalie!" "Cool!" "Yeah! Well I'm gonna get some sleep!" I lay my head back down and close my eyes. Soon enough, I fall asleep.

Dream
I was standing with Carl when a hoed of walkers comes. They come and they eat Carl right in front of me. I feel arms wrap all around me, but I can't move. I feel a sharp pain come in my arm and shoulder. I scream, but I still don't move. I just stand there screaming. I hear my dad screaming my name, but he sounds far away. Then everything goes black.
Dream over

I wake up to see everyone staring at me, and someone with there hand over my mouth. "K!" I hear my little brother scream. Then I hear heavy footsteps run towards me and pick me up. The hand covering my mouth goes away. I sit up. "What happened?!" I say. "You started screaming!" Dad says. "Where's Carl?!" Then I feel a small pair of arms wrap around me. "I'm right here K!" I hug him really tight. "K! Can't breathe!" I let go and start laughing. "Kayla? Honey what happens?" Dad says. "I watched someone I love very much get torn apart by walkers!" I didn't want to say the name because I didn't want to scare Carl. They look at me confused. I lift my hand and point at Carl, so he can't see. They all give a look of pity. I realize it's day time. I get up and walk over to Beth. "Ya know you drool in your sleep?" I ask joking with her. She blushes but hides it. "Well? It's time to start looking for a safe house!" Dad says. Here we go!