Chapter 16

We arrive at the prison and see dad, Beth, Carl, and Herschel standing there. Dad hands something to Carl, and starts walking our way. He opens the gate and walks to the next one. I wonder if he recognizes us. I feel the girl next to me go limp in my arms. We fall to the ground, and walkers start coming towards us. They must suspect us. I grab the knife out of my bra, and get in a defensive position. I try to pull her towards the gate, but my arm hurts to much. I keep pulling on her until my vision starts to go black. Last thing I see before I black out is dad yelling my name.

Hours later
I open my eyes and see the bottom of a bunk. Carl walks in and says, "how's your shoulder?" "It hurts." "Do I need to get Herschel?" "Where's Daryl?" "Him, dad, Michone, and some other guys went out to go get Maggie and Glenn back." "Who's Mirchonne?" "The girl you were with." "Oh!" "Let me get Herschel!" He says walking out. I sit up just as Herschel comes in. "How are you feeling?" "I feel fine!" I say sarcastically. He frowns. "Makayla?!" Dad yells. "Daddy!" I scream then jump off of the bed. I run outside ignoring the pain in my shoulder, and hug dad. He hugs me back then let's go. I run to Maggie and hug her. "I'm so glad your okay!" I yell at her. "Me?! I wasn't the one that got shot, then left alone!" "I wasn't alone, Michone helped me!" "Is that the girl that saved us?" "Yepers!" She just laughs. "Where's Daryl?" I ask and she has a look of regret. "Maggie? Where's my husband?!" She looks over my shoulder and sighs. I turn around and see dad looking at me with a look of pity. "Dad? Where is Daryl?!" "We ran into Merle! I wouldn't allow him to back with us, so him and Daryl took off together." I can feel my heart break into two. "Okay." I say as if it didn't hurt. Everyone stares at me as if I just said something out of the odds. "What?" I say. "Your not gonna react with him gone?" Carl says. "He's the person that can mend me! Why give the person that left, something to mend?" With that I walk off. I find Beth and steal Judith from her, then walk outside. I see dad walking over to the watering hole place thing and it looks like he's talking. Judith starts crying, so I bounce her. I'm allowed to hold her, as long as I am careful with my shoulder. I hear a vehicle, so I turn around. I see a big white van coming straight at me. I move, and a girl gets out. She points the gun at me, and shoots me in my leg. I fall to the ground and try my best to keep ahold of Judith. I hear a weird noise, so I look up and see walkers coming at us from everywhere. I scream and try to stand up, but I'm to weak. I hear someone scream 'no!' Then I see dad, Daryl, and Merle coming at me. A walker falls at my foot, but an arrow shoots through its head. Dad takes Judith from me, and Daryl bends down in front of me. "Mak! Are you okay?!" "Oh ya know! It's not like ya brother shot me, and then I got shot again!" I say. He picks me up and carries me bridal style to the prison. I cry out in pain because both my shoulder and leg hurting! "It's okay!" "No it's not! Have you ever had your husband leave you for his brother?! Have you ever had your husband marry you, just so he can leave?! Have you ever been shot by your brother in law?!" "Ya think I married you, just so I could leave ya?" "My guess is so you could get pity from people when you weren't with us! Daryl, I didn't know if you were alive, or dead, or walking around as some reanimated corpse! I understand family should be forever, but I'm your family to now!" "Your sayin' that if Carl was kicked out, ya wouldn't leave with him?!" "He's 13! Why would he get kicked out?!" "Say he wasn't! Say he was older then you!" "If my brother was an alcoholic, drug attic, abusive, jerk, then I would have kicked him out myself! I know you and Merle have a past, but you can't let him in your future! He only brings bad things to your life Daryl!" "You just don't know anything!" He says starting to walk off. I grab his arm. "I know that Merle has made your life crap! You can't let those people stay in your life Daryl!" "You had Shane in your life for 23 years! He tried takin over the group! He hooked up with your mom while she thought your dad was dead! He tried to kill your dad!" "Why would you talk about my mother like a piece of crap?! I know she cheated on dad! She's dead because of it! Here you go, walkin' around sayin' how she was done stupid cheater! I know she did, but she tried to fix it! I can't believe your talking about my mother like that! She just died less then a week ago!" I scream at him running off. "Makayla!" He calls for me, but I ignore him. I let the tears fall, and run fast. I run to a look out tower and run up the stairs. I grab a chair, and run down the stairs. I place it under the door handle, and run back upstairs. I sit down, my back against the wall, and cry. I while the tears the best I can, but they just keep going. Eventually, I end up crying myself to where I am on the verge of sleep. I let darkness over come me, and fall into a nightmare filled sleep.