Chapter 5

I wake up to see that I am in a bed. "Mommy?!" I say then a small figure rolls into me, curling into my side. "K?!" My little brother says. Then I hug him and go to get up, only to have strong arms push me back down. "Daddy?!" "It's okay honey! It's me!" "Where's mommy?!" "I'm right here baby girl!" "Mommy!" Then we have a huge group hug, and a old man walks in. "Nice to see you are awake Makayla. My name is Herschel Greene. This is my farm. You have stitches in you leg and we are putting cream on your arm." He says. Then a girl with blond hair walks in. "Daddy! Dinners ready!" She says. Then they both leave and a girl around my age walks in. "Hi Makayla! I'm Maggie! Do you want to take a shower?" "Please! I'm covers in walker goo and blood! Can I shower with my stitches in?" "Okay! Yes, I'll patch it up then re patch it when your done!" "I'll go get Daryl to carry her there!" Dad say and gets out of his seat.

Dad and Daryl walk in and Daryl picks me up bridal style. He carries me up the stairs and stand me up in the bathroom. Maggie is in there waiting for us and she shooed Daryl away. She helps me take my clothes and I limp to the shower. I clean my hair and body, then grab a towel and dry off. She let me borrow some of her clothes since we're the same age. She gave me a red crop top, spandex, bra, underwear, and sneakers. She helps me put the clothes on and we put the shoes next to the bed Carl and I are staying in. I lay down and mom and dad walk in. "Can you tell us what all happened honey?" Mom says in a soothing voice. "We were under our Cara and Sophia started climbing out from under hers. Then three walkers chased her and I ran and picked her up. We ran and ran till we were away from them. I set her down so I could catch my breath, and another walker popped out of nowhere. She ran off and I killed the walker then looked for her. I didn't see her anywhere! Then I climbed a tree so my leg could rest. I fell asleep and woke up the next day. I climbed down and was attached by two walkers. I killed them and ran. Then I found this house and saw people. I ran towards them then saw Shane!" "So you were with Sophia for awhile?!" "Kinda. What happened while I was gone?!" "Well! Daryl and I went after you two. I found Sophia and she was to scared to say anything! I sat her down in a hole to get some walkers away from us. When I came back, she was gone. We were all looking for you two. Then Shane and I were gonna go look in one place, while the rest went back to the highway. Carl wanted to come with us, so we let him. He saw a dear and he was walking up to him. A guy was hunting that dear and he shot. The bullet went through the dear and in Carl's stomach. Shane and Otis, the man who shot Carl, went to get some stuff Herschel needed. Otis didn't make it." "Wow! I missed a lot!" "How did you cut your leg?" "Huh?" "Your leg. How did you cut it?" "When I went under the car, I caught it on a piece of glass!" "Get some rest hon!" "Okay daddy!" They leave and I role over with my back facing Carl. I soon fall asleep.

2 days later
I wake up the next morning to see Carl not by my side. We both get to start walking today. We're both healed somewhat. Dad comes in carrying Carl and they are followed by Herschel and mom. "Sorry k! I had to go to the bathroom!" Carl says. "Alright! Carl, Makayla! Are you two ready to walk today?" He says smiling. "Yes! Let's go!" Carl and I say at the same time. The adults just laugh. Then mom and dad help me stand up. They do the same to Carl, and we both start moving forward. Carl can walk, as long as he doesn't put pressure on his stomach. I can walk, but I have a bit of a limp. Carl goes first, then I do. We get outside to see our group, and Herschel's group, surrounding us. That give off hoots and hollers. "Go Makayla! Go Carl!" Everyone starts saying. I don't see Daryl and Andrea though. We were all still having fun when Andrea yelled "walker!" We automatically stop laughing and smiling. You never can have a good day in this world. The worst part is, Carl and Sophia have to grow up in this world. All the guys except Herschel and Carl run off to go see. I walk towards them then see that it is Daryl. "Dad! It's Daryl!" I scream. Then I run in a way that I won't pop a stitch. I get there only to have a bullet fly by my head and hit him. "No!" I scream. Shane, T-Dog, and dad, pick him up and carry him to the house. I just stand there frozen. Daryls dead! Another group member lost! The I walk back to mom and hug her. "I love you momma!" "I love you to honey. What happens over there?" "Daryl looked like a walker, but he wasn't. Then Andrea shot him!" She just looks at me dumb found. Then Carol walks up to us. "Hey! Sorry to steal your mom, but we have to go cook dinner!" I just nod and they walk off. I walk over to Carl and sit next to him. "Hey bub!" "Hey K!" I look and see he has dads hat on. "Did you steal dads hat?" I say jokingly. "No! He gave it to me! Now we both have hats!" I smile at this. Then I take his hat and run away. "Hey! Give it back!" He says, slowly running after me. "I'm limping and you still can't catch me?" "Neither of you two should be running!" Shane says. When did he get out here? I look and see all the guys we're back, and everyone was watching us. I put his hat back on his head and straighten mine. Yes, I still have my hat! Mom comes out and yells for all of us to go to dinner. They start walking and me and Carl are further away from them. I whistle and they all turn around. "Forgetting the two most important people?!" I say putting my hands on my hips. They all just laugh and stop walking until we catch up to them. We walk into the house and before I can sit down at the table, I'm stopped by Carol. "Can you go take this plate to Daryl?" She says handing me a plate full of food. "Sure!" I say shrugging my shoulders. I grab the plate and walk upstairs. I walk into his room and see he has his back turned towards me. I look closer and see scars all over his back.