Chapter 12

Dream
Mom and dad were in the kitchen. It was a Saturday morning, and Carl was at his friends house. Mom and dad were yelling at each other. "It feels like you don't care about me or Carl!" "You know that's not true!" "Carl is tired of us fighting! That's all we ever do is fight! Thank goodness Makayla isn't here to see!" "You always try to start fights with me! You find reasons to yell at me!" "That is not true!" "You are always complaining about how I'm not home long enough, or how my clothes aren't in the right spot! Makayla has even noticed it! Why do you think she has stopped coming home every weekend?!" That's when I decide to show myself. "Surprise?" I say while a tear falls down my cheek.
Dream over

I feel someone shaking me. I open my eyes, and see Daryl. I role over and come in contact with a wet pillow. "Makayla? Are you okay?" He says worriedly. "Sorry! Just a bad dream!" "Why were ya cryin'?" "Just a really bad dream!" "Ya wanna talk?" "Later!" "Okay!" "What time is it?" "Probably around 4?" "Okay!" Then he lays back down, and I lay my head on his chest. "I love you!" "Love ya to!" Then I fall back asleep.

I wake up one again to feel someone shaking me. "Mak! We're 'bout to head on out!" I get up and and grab his hand. I lace my fingers with his, and lead him to the cafeteria. We get there, and see everyone has already been there. "Are you okay? I heard you crying last night!" Carol says hugging me. "I just...... had a bad dream!" I say looking at dad. "Okay, everyone let's go! Kayla, I want you to stay awake. We will be out there for a while!" "Okay daddy!" Daryl walks up to dad, and whispers something in his ear. Dad nods then they walk out. I feel like something bad is gonna happen today! I walk into the commons area. No one is awake yet! Ughh! What am I suppose to do while they're asleep? I decide to write. I haven't done that in forever. I walk to my cell, and grab my notebook. I sit back down on the stairs and start writing.

She watches as her best friend gets kicked in the stomach. Coach yells her to stop cheering and get over there. Since she practices with the boys all the time, she knows the play. "Johnson! I need you to get in the goal. Sam can't get back in!" "What about my cheer uniform?" "Here! I was gonna give this to you after the game, but....!" He hands her the jersey with her name on the back. "Sams! Give me your shorts!" "What?!" She goes to her bag and pulls out grey athletic shorts. "Take these! You left em at my house last week! Give me your shorts!" "Boys make a wall!" Coach yells. They get in front of him and he changes. "No make a circle for me!" She yells. They do so, and she changes from her cheer uniform to her soccer uniform. She walks on to the field and gets in position.

I finish the chapter and put my book back in my room. I get back downstairs and see everyone is awake. I walk to Herschels cell. "Ya wanna try walkin' today?" "Yes! You know, your starting to sound like Daryl! When are y'all getting married?" "Okay, and we are getting married today. I thought Daryl talked to you about you being the person that will wed us?" "No, he actually didn't talk to me, but I would be glad to marry you two!" "Thank you! So.... you ready to walk now? I think moms bringing the-." I get cut off when mom walks into the cell with crutches. "Ready to walk Herschel?" "Sure am! I was just talking with Makayla!" "Oh hey Kayla! Didn't see ya there!" "Hey mom! Where's Beth and Carl?" Then I feel someone pinch my sides. I turn around and look at him. "What are you doing?!....... Oh! Sorry Carl!" Mom and Herschel laugh. Mom hands Beth the crutches. Mom goes on one side of Herschel, and I go on the other.  We give him the crutches, and he stands up. He starts to topple over, but I hold him up. He hits his crutches on the ground a couple times then just stands there. "I think I'm ready! I think I'm good!" Then he starts to move a couple paces. "That's a good start! Wanna take a break?" Mom says. I doubt so! "A break? Let's go for a stroll!" He says 'walking' out of the cell. We follow him.

We get outside and I help Herschel down the stairs. I look and see everyone smiling. Dad, Glenn, and Daryl, are outside the fence. Maggie, Carol, and T-Dog, are by some cars. Herschel starts 'walking' around. Then I hear groans and shuffling. I turn around, and Carl and I scream "walkers!", At the same time. We start shooting them. They get really close, and I see Maggie push Carl and mom into a room. "Mom! Carl!" I scream. I push Herschel and Beth into a caged area. "Behind you!" Beth screams. I turn around just as a walker tries to take a bite out of me. I push it to the ground then get in the cage. "Herschel! Give me a crutch!" I yell. He hands me one, and I put it in the door handle. Dad, Daryl, and Glenn, run up to us. "Where are they?!" Dad says. "They ran into block C!" Beth yells. "Stay here!" Dad screams at us. "Dad!" He looks at me for a second then runs off. "What are we going to do?!" Beth says. "Hey! Look at me!" She turns to me. "Maggie is going to be okay! They all are! They are gonna walk out of there smiling! They are all gonna be okay!" She starts crying. "Come here!" I say and she walks to me. She hugs me. "Will you sing?" "Sure!" I sing the first song that comes to mind.

Warrior

This is a story that I have never told
I gotta get this off my chest to let it go
I need to take back the light inside you stole
You're a criminal
And you steal like you're a pro

All the pain and the truth
I wear like a battle wound
So ashamed, so confused
I was broken and bruised

Now I'm a warrior
Now I've got thicker skin
I'm a warrior
I'm stronger than I've ever been
And my armor, is made of steel, you can't get in
I'm a warrior
And you can never hurt me again

Out of the ashes, I'm burning like a fire
You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar
I've got shame, I've got scars
That I will never show
I'm a survivor
In more ways than you know

Cause all the pain and the truth
I wear like a battle wound
So ashamed, so confused
I'm not broken or bruised

'Cause now I'm a warrior
Now I've got thicker skin
I'm a warrior
I'm stronger than I've ever been
And my armor, is made of steel, you can't get in
I'm a warrior
And you can never hurt me

There's a part of me I can't get back
A little girl grew up too fast
All it took was once, I'll never be the same
Now I'm taking back my life today
Nothing left that you can say
Cause you are never gonna take the blame anyway

Now I'm a warrior
I've got thicker skin
I'm a warrior
I'm stronger than I've ever been
And my armor, is made of steel, you can't get in
I'm a warrior
And you can never hurt me again

No oh, yeah, yeah

You can never hurt me again

I finish and see Dad, Daryl, and Glenn walking up. "Did ya find em?" I say. "No!" Glenn says. "What about Carol or T?" Herschel says. "They didn't make it!" Daryl says. "That doesn't mean the others didn't!" Dad says. "Daddy-!" I get cut off by the sound of a babies cry. I look up to see Carl and Maggie walking out. I hear a cry again. I look in Maggie's arms and see a baby. The three walk over to us, with no mom!