Chapter 6

"I'm sorry about what they did to you!" I say to him. He turns over and covers himself with the blanket. "It was just Andrea that shot me!" "No! I mean whoever abused you!" "What are ya talkin' 'bout?!" "My brothers friend. AnnaBeth! Her father abused her and her two brothers. She came over one day and she was wearing a white shirt. One of her wounds peeled open and it was bleeding. We found out that her father was abusing her!" "My old man abused me!" "I'm sorry! I brought you some dinner!" I set it down on the bed side table, then walk over to him and kiss his cheek. Then I walk out of the room, and down to the table. "What took you so long Kayla?" Shane says smiling. "I was just...... talking to Daryl!" I say. Then all the adults laugh. "What?" I say blushing. "Awww! She's blushing! You totally have a crush on him!" Beth says. "What?! No! Besides he's like..... old!" Then I feel my cheeks betray me even more. Oh my gosh! Do I really have feelings for Daryl Dixon?! I just slowly shake my head and eat.

It's been awhile since Daryl got shot. Carl and I have been moved out to the tents with the rest of our group. We still haven't found Sophia. Right now we are all sitting around a fire eating breakfast when Glenn speaks up. "There's walkers in the barn!" We all stop and look at him. We jump up and run to the barn. I pull Carl behind me as dad and Shane peek through it. "You can not tell me that you are okay with this!" Shane yells at dad. "I'm not, but it's Herschel's farm and we are his guest!" Dad says. "This is not safe! If you don't want to think about the group, think about your family! What if it gets Lori? Or Carl! Or Makayla!" "He doesn't see them as walkers! He sees them as sick people!" Then Shane storms off. I look down at Carl and hug him. "It's okay bub!" Then I go to the house to see if I can find Maggie. I didn't look where I was going and bumped right into Beth. "Hey Makayla!" "Hey! Do you know we're your sister is?" "Which one?" "Maggie." "She's in her room!" "Okay! Thanks!" I say then walk up the stairs and into Maggie's room. "Do you think the same thing as your dad?" "Huh?" "Dad told us how your dad thinks the walkers are sick people." "How did you know?!" "Glenn told us!" "I told him to keep that a secret!" "I'm glad he told us! My little brother could get hurt!" "I'm sorry! Yes! They are our use to be family and friends. My dad thinks there just sick. He and Otis put them in there!" "Don't be mad at Glenn! I would have killed him if he didn't tell me!" Then we just laugh.

We were just sitting outside when Shane comes up to us with his bag of guns. He starts handing them out to everyone. "Shane! What are you doing?!" I yell at him. "It's time! Where's your dad?!" Then he walks over to the barn. Everyone follows. I look behind us and see Herschel and dad walking with walkers on poles. Shane starts yelling then he shoots the walker in the lung, stomach, and heart. He finally shoots it in the head, and Herschel falls to the ground. Then Shane bangs on the barn and tears the lock off. Walkers pour out and a lot of people walk up to shoot at them. I just walk over to mom and Carl. The last walker comes out and we stop shooting. Beth screams and runs to a walker. She pushes one away and caresses her face. Then the walker grabs her arms and some people run over and help her. Then we hear groaning. We look at the barn to see a child walker come out. Sophia! "Sophia!" Carol screams then starts running towards her. Daryl throws his rifle to the ground and catches Carol. Mom pulls herself and Carl to the ground. Dad steps up and shoots her in the head. I run to her and pick her up in my arms. "Sophia! I'm so sorry! It's all my fault! I didn't slide you under the same car as me! I put you on the ground so I could be selfish! I didn't follow you long enough! I didn't find you! I didn't look for you! I'm sorry! It's my fault your like this! It's all my fault!" I sob into her shoulder. I rock us back and forth. I look at my group to see them all staring at me with sad expressions. Carol just cries and cries. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry I killed your daughter! I got her turned into this! I'm sorry!" I scream at her. I just cry and continue to cry. "I killed her! It's my fault she's dead! I killed her!" I yell. I continue to rock us back and forth until someone wraps there small arms around me. "K?!" I hear my little brother say. "Carl! Don't hug me! I'm a killer! I let her get killed!" I scream at him. Herschel gets up and walks to a car. He gets in, then drives away. Daryl picks me up and takes me into the house. He lays me down next to Beth, who seems to be in some kind of shock. He stands there and stares at me for a minute. Finally he leaves.

Mom comes in with two plates of food. She lays Beth's next to her and mine next to me. She kisses my head then walks off. Beth gets up and slowly walks to the bathroom. I walk in right behind her. She doesn't even seem to notice that I am in there with her. She locks the door then turns around and breaks the mirror. I hear Maggie and mom banging on the door. She grabs a piece of glass and points it towards her wrist. I grab her arm and pull it back. She then tries to pull it down, but I grip her wrist tighter. She keeps trying, and somehow we end up on the floor, fighting over her wrist. She somehow ends up cutting my cheek, barely missing my eye. It slides down my cheek and I scream. She looks at me and gasps. By now we have a whole crowd of people outside the door. We just stare at each other. We move and hug each other. We cry in each other's arms. Mom and Lori finally make it into the room. They look at us and see the blood all over the place. They whisper something to the people standing in the door, and they leave. Maggie hugs Beth, and mom hugs me. We have a big group hug. Dad comes in and sees the sight. "Girls! Glenn and I are leaving to go get Herschel! We will be back around dinner time!" He says. We all get up and Beth just walks back to bed. Maggie, me, and mom walk with dad down to the car that they are taking. Me and mom hug dad, while Maggie hugs Glenn. They get in the car and leave. I walk back upstairs to check on Beth. She's just laying there. I lay down, and she lays her head on my chest. "I always saw you as a sister!" "I always saw you as a sister to!" "Do you sing?" "Yeah!" "Will you sing to me?" "What do you want me to sing?" "Do you know parting glass?" "Yeah! That's mine and Carl's song!" "That's mine and Maggie's song!" We just give a soft laugh.

Oh all the money that e'er I spent
I spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all
Oh all the comrades that e'er I've had
Are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I've had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

I look down and see that she is asleep. I slowly climb out from under her and walk downstairs. I hear Carol call for mom. "Lori! Dinner!" "She's not here?" I ask, getting every head turned towards me. "Carl! When's the last time you saw your mom?" Daryl says. "This morning!" He says. "I'm gonna go look for her! She probably went for Rick!" Shane says getting up. "No! My dad's missing! My moms missing! If something happens to you, we can't loose you to!" He looks at me for a second, then walks outside.