Chapter 7

It's been two hours since everyone left. First Glenn and dad. Then mom. Then Shane. Beth is still depressed, and Carl is hanging out with Maggie. I'm standing by the gate waiting for someone to get here. I hear a car and see Shane's car pull up. Everyone runs to the car and surrounds it. Mom steps out and holds a rag to her forehead. I jump up and run to her. I hug her and start crying. She hugs me. "Where's Rick?" She says. Shane looks down. "You told me he was here!" She says. "You wouldn't have come back anyways!" He yells. "I had to keep you and the baby safe!" Everyone's mouths drop. "Your pregnant?!" I scream at her. I bet it's not dads. "Moms pregnant?!" Carl asks. "Carl! Go in the house now!" I yell at him. "Why?!" "Maggie! Take him to the house!" She picks him up and walks to the house. "Who's baby is it?!" "What?!" "Is it dads or Shane's?!" "I don't know what you are talking about!" "Mom! I'm not and idiot! Back at the quarry! I saw how you and Shane would go and sneak around! I'm 23! Not 12! I bet the baby isn't even dads! Does dad know? Does he know that you are pregnant?" I scream at her. "Do not talk to me that way young lady! I am your mother! You are my daughter! Do not disrespect me! Wait till your father gets here!" "Oh like you waited? You didn't hesitate running into Shane's arms after you find out dad died!" "Your grounded!" "You can't ground me during the apocalypse! What am I gonna be grounded from?! Walking?! Killing walkers?!" She walks up to me and slaps me. I stare at her shocked. "You-you h-hit m-me?! Y-you or-promised!" Then I run away from her. I hear a car pull up and people shouting, but I keep running. I don't run to the house. I run into the woods and sit against a tree. I lean my head back and think about the last time my mom hit me. My parents were never abusive or anything, but my mom hit me once. Every parent hits there kid at least once.
Flashback over
I was standing in my room talking to Beth. Her boyfriend just broke up with her and she was depressed. Mom came in and told me to get off the phone and do my homework. "I'm on the phone with Anna Beth!" "I don't care! You have a history final tomorrow! Get off the phone and study!" "She really needs someone to talk to mom!" By now we were shouting. Carl was at his friends house and dad was out with Shane. "What if your father were here?!" "I would say the same thing!" "Don't lie! I know you listen to your father more than you do me!" "Your the one lying! I listen to both of you equally!" "Don't raise your voice at me!" "I'm on the phone because my friend is going through a depression! Now your accusing me of lying?! Great! Now it's gonna be worse for her! She has heard this whole thing! You brought our problems into her life!" Then she walks up to me and slaps me. I stare at her shocked. She realizes what she did and hugs me. I hesitate, but hug her back. We start to cry. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry him! I promise! I will never hit you again!"

I was 16 when this happened. That was 7 years ago. Carl was six. I realize that it's pitch black now. It was dusk when everyone got here. Now I can't see 5 feet in front of me. I realize the only weapon I have is my switch blade. Thankfully I always keep it my bra, in case I loose the rest of my weapons. I pull it out and get it ready in case I need it. I don't know which direction to go, or how far I ran into the woods. I'm lost in the woods again! Great! I hear a gunshot and run away. Then I run into Shane. "What are you doing? Who is this?" Then he snaps the guys neck and hits his face on a tree. "Shane! What are you doing?!" He grabs a gun and points it at me. "Shane?! Please! It's Makayla! It's me!" I plead. He pushes me on the ground and runs off. I look for my knife, but can't find it! I decide to sit with the dead guy. Maybe they will come to look for him and find me.

A little while later, the dead guy turns. He gets up and I start running. An arrow flies by my head and kills the dead guy. I turn and see Daryl, Glenn, and T-Dog. I run and hug Daryl. I didn't know T-Dog. Glenn was my age, but we weren't really friends. He hugs me back then we let go. "Where have ya been?!" "Out here! I came across Shane! He was with that dude then killed him! He broke his own nose. He pushed me down then ran off." "He's with your dad! Let's get to the house and see if they are back!" Daryl yells walking off. We all run until I stop. They don't notice and keep running. I see dad an Shane standing with weapons facing each other, they get closer and they fall to the ground. I see dad get up, but Shane doesn't. I see Carl coming and he raises his gun at dad. "No!" I whisper. Then I look behind dad and see Shane standing up. Carl shoots the gun and Shane falls to the ground. I run over there and hug them. I look up and see a massive hoed of walkers coming towards us. We run to the barn and lock ourselves in. Then we hear banging on the doors and groans. Dad climbs up and pulls out a lighter. Carl and I climb up to and he throws it on the ground, catching the barn on fire. Then the RV comes, and dad and Carl jump on it. I jump on it and look down, only to see Jimmy getting torn to pieces. We jump down and see a lot of cars leaving. We run towards the house and grab Herschel. Dad gets in the driver seat and I push Carl and Herschel in the car. I close the door and go to get in the backseat. The car drives off, forgetting me. "No! Dad!" I scream, but he keeps driving. I see Daryl come back and pick up Carol and put her on his bike. I run to a shed and find a bicycle. Good thing I have soccer legs. I decide to go to the highway, guessing that's where they will group up. I ride until the chain comes off. I fall down, and start running. Then I see a small campfire. I stop and smile. I decide to play with them since they left me. I pick up a rock and throw it to the side. Causing them to all look over there. Then I throw one in the woods and they look there. Dad gets up, and I run and jump on his back. I hug him tight. I jump down and run and hug Carl. Dad turns to me and just stares at me. "I'm so sorry Makayla! I thought you were in the car! I thought you were in with us!" "It's okay daddy!" Then I hug mom and everyone else. "Shane! Andrea! Patrica! Jimmy! That's who we lost tonight!" Carol says.