chapter 13

Maria was shocked when she opened the door to see a sobbing Rachel; she had expected to see a happy best friend since exams were over. 

‘What’s wrong sweetie?’ she asked her as she swept her into the apartment. 

‘F-Finn’ she sobbed out. On the short trip down to Maria’s Rachel finally let her emotions get the better of her and she started to cry. It had hurt more than anything to walk away from him when he was begging her to stay and talk to him but she wasn’t ready to. 

‘Oh sweetie’ Maria soothed, an explanation wasn’t needed she had the conversation daily with Rachel. 

Isabel knocked on the door to her brothers apartment waited for him to answer. She had barely heard or seen him in the past couple of months but the gossip had finally got to her the day before when she had met with Maria for lunch and had been filled in on what was happening between him and Rachel. 

Isabel loved Rachel and couldn’t wait for the day that the two of them would be sisters. She never understood what Finn was doing ‘postponing forever’ and had been one of the first people to confront him asking him if he was stupid. He hadn’t gone into details with his explanation but he had assured her that there was reason to his madness so like in everything they did Isabel trusted her brother. 

When Maria had told her what Finn had done at first she had refused to believe it. Isabel knew without a doubt how much Finn loved Rachel, it was obvious to everyone but to Isabel she could always see it more and thought it was because of the connection she had with her brother. 

When no one answered the door Isabel began to get worried, she could hear someone in there and Maria had only rang her an hour ago asking her to go and check up on Finn and explained the condition Rachel was in. Thankfully Maria had realised that Finn was probably in a worse condition after Rachel had walked out on him. 

Isabel tested the door handle and found it open so she hesitantly entered the apartment. 

‘Finn’ she called out but she received no response. There were lights on in the house so Isabel made her way to Finn's bedroom hoping that she might find him there asleep. 

I hear the clock, it's six a.m.
I feel so far away from where I've been
I got my eggs, I got my pancakes too
Got my maple syrup, everything but you
I break the yolks and make a smiley face
I kinda like it in my brand new place
I wipe the spots off of the mirror, don't leave the keys in the door
I never put wet towels on the floor anymore 'cause 

Finn was in his room but he wasn’t asleep. Isabel found him sitting on his bed, his face red from crying and his clothes crumpled. Isabel had never seen her brother look so defeated in her entire life and her heart went out to him. 

‘Finn’ she called to him again softly this time gaining his attention. 

The minute Finn caught sight of his sister he immediately began crying again. 

‘She’s gone Iz and I don’t know if she’ll come back’ he sobbed. 

Dreams last so long, even after you're gone
I know, that you love me and soon you will see
You were meant for me and I was meant for you 

Isabel rushed to his side ‘Shh it’s ok she’ll be back tomorrow she’s just at Maria’s for the night’ she tried to reassure him. 

‘N-No’ he shook his head ‘you didn’t see her Izzy, the way she looked at me, the way she’s been looking at me for the past week now. I-I don’t think she wants to be with me anymore’ 

‘Oh Finn’ Isabel cried. She noticed then that Finn appeared to have something in his hand ‘What’s that?’ she asked him. 

I Called my momma, she was out for a walk
Consoled a cup of coffee but it didn't wanna talk
So picked up a paper, it was more bad news
More hearts being broken or people being used
Put on my coat in the pouring rain
I saw a movie it just wasn't the same
'Cause it was happy and I was sad and
It made me miss you oh so bad cause 

Finn opened his hand and revealed the small black box causing Isabel to gasp. 

‘Is that what I think it is?’ she asked him. 

‘Y-Yes’ he told her handing it to her so that she could take a look at it. 

Dreams last so long, even after you're gone
I know, that you love me and soon you will see
You were meant for me and I was meant for you 

‘Oh Finn’ Isabel couldn’t get over how beautiful the ring inside was; it would be perfect for Rachel. 

‘When did you get this?’ she asked him. 

Finn laughed bitterly ‘three and half years ago’ 

‘What?’ Isabel gasped. Three and half years ago was high school and pretty much the time that Finn started to behave like a typical male when it came to his relationship with Rachel. 

‘I bought it after Prom’ he told her. 

‘Why?’ she asked. 

Finn turned to his sister then, at the time he had wanted to confide in Isabel but had decided that if he wanted this to work that he was going to have to keep it a secret. 

‘Because I was going to ask her to marry me’ he whispered.