chapter 34

“Rach” Finn cried out from the bathroom, he had been standing in front of the mirror trying to tie his tie properly but he wasn’t having any luck. 

Rachel laughed at the frown of frustration on his face as she entered the bathroom. He was dressed in a black pinstripe suit which they had purchased early that week and underneath he had a crisp maroon shirt with a matching tie. 

She maneuvered herself until she was sitting on the vanity in front of him and began retying his tie for him and straightening it out “There you go” she smiled “Now you look very professional” 

“So I look ok?” he asked concerned. It was his first day of work and he was worried about making a good impression.

“You look sexy as hell” she grinned playfully. 

Finn looked at the clock “You better get ready if you want me to drop you off on my way, we don’t want to be late on our first day” 

Rachel had already done her hair and make up she just needed to put her clothes on “Ok I’m hurrying” she told him moving back into the bedroom. 

Rachel's work was only a block away from where Finn worked and since they had a private car park they would be able to take the jeep to work rather than relying on public transport, something they were both very grateful about considering the weather in Boston during winter. 

20 minutes later Finn had dropped Rachel off out the front of Rydock and was in the lift on his way up to meet the his supervisor at Cunningham, Smith & Williams. 

He introduced himself to the secretary at the front desk and she directed him to Mr. Williams office. 

“Finn” the older man smiled when he entered “good to see you, how’s the apartment?” he asked. He was an older man and Finn guessed he would be the same age as his father. 

“Wonderful” Finn smiled. “We love it” he told him 

“Good” he nodded. “and how is that lovely girlfriend of yours?” he asked. Finn had spoken to the man on a number of occasions since they had offered him the job. 

“Actually she’s my fiancée now” he beamed “but she’s wonderful starting her first day at Rydock also” he informed him. 

“Impressive” Mr. Williams smiled “I can’t wait to meet her” 

Finn nodded “Ok now down to business” 

Across town Rachel was meeting her own boss Dr Jefferson. 

“I can’t tell you how happy we were that you accepted our offer, Rachel” he told her. 

“Oh no thank you so much for considering me” Rachel replied “and it’s Rachel” she told him. 

“Ok, well Rachel I’m going to leave you with Harrison for the time being , he was part of our graduate program last year and he’s done very well during his time with us, he’ll show you the ropes around here and help you until you feel ready to work on your own.” He explained. 

Rachel walked into the room and saw the youngish blonde man working away diligently on an experiment. The room was large and had two desks and computers on the other side of the lab areas. 

“Harrison this is Rachel Berry” Dr Jefferson introduced. The man put down his experiment and took off his safety glasses allowing Rachel to see his vivid green eyes. 

“Hi” he smiled showing his perfect white teeth and offering Rachel his hand. 

“Hi” Rachel smiled back. 

“Harrison, I will leave Rachel in your capable hands” Dr Jefferson smiled and made his way out of the room. 

“Well welcome to Rydock, Rachel I’ve heard some wonderful things about you” he told her. 

“Thank you” Rachel blushed “I just hope I can live up to everyone’s expectations” she admitted. 

“With your grades I have no doubt” he assured her. For a moment Rachel was slightly uncomfortable with out much her colleague knew about her. 

“I had a look at your file” he answered her silent question but his answer only peaked Rachel's curiosity because she wondered what else was in that file. 

“what’s in the file?” she asked. 

“Hmm” he chuckled. 

“Rachel Barbara Berry, age 24, single, from Roswell New Mexico, graduate NYU Molecular Biology” he rattled off. “there’s some other boring stuff too” she shrugged. 

“Hmm ok” she frowned. 

“Ok well you’ve just had the tour so let me show you your desk and then you can help me with this experiment” he suggested. 

“Sure” she smiled. 

“So this is your office” Mr. Williams showed him the small corner office which had a small view of the road. 

Finn nodded “and Tammy outside will be your secretary, you have to share her with Sarah but I don’t think that will cause he any problems” he continued. 

“Sarah?” Finn asked. 

“Oh Sarah is my daughter, come with me and I’ll introduce you to both her and Tammy” he replied. 

They walked next door and into the office where a women maybe a couple of years older than Finn with red hair sat. 

“Sarah, I want to introduce you to Finn Hudson” he said. 

“Hi Finn” she smiled and stood up, she was a short women Finn guessed she was probably even shorter than Rachel. Her smile was warm and inviting and Finn smiled back easily. 

“Nice to meet you” he said. 

“You too and don’t hesitate to stop by anytime if you need anything” she encouraged. 

“thanks” he replied. 

The day went by quickly after that for both Finn and Rachel and before either knew it, it was almost half past five. 

“How was your day?” Finn asked Rachel when he picked her up from work. 

“Interesting” she told him “too soon to tell” 

“You?” she asked. 

“Good I think I’m really going to like it there” he told her. 

“I’m glad” Rachel smiled the thing was she didn’t know if she would be able to say the same.