chapter 28

Rachel waited nervously for her parents to arrive from the airport. They were due over any minute now and she wasn’t sure what she was going to do or say when they got there. 

Finn and Isabel had actually left earlier in the day to pick their own parents up from the airport so not only did she finally have to face her parent she had to do it alone. Finn said he would get back as quickly as he could but she knew what his mother could be like, especially when she hadn’t seen him in close to six months. 

When the knock came at the door she jumped “Shit” she said. Walking to the door she opened it and found her parents waiting on the other side. 

“Hi sweetie” her father smiled but when he stepped forward to hug her Rachel found herself taking a step back and avoiding it. 

“Hi baby” her mother said. 

“Hi” she said to both of them. 

She walked into the kitchen and they followed her. Placing out the tea and cake she had made for their arrival she joined them at the table and poured some tea into each of their cups and some into her own to calm her nerves.. 

“Is everything ok, Rachel?” her mother finally asked. She had spoken to her dad a couple of times since she had confronted them with the truth but the conversation has been mostly about their plans for coming for graduation. But apparently her mother believed that the whole thing had blown over by now, typical of her mother she thought. 

“No it’s not” she said “I think we need to talk” she told them. 

Her father reached out and took her hand “I know your upset with us but if you would let us explain we would appreciate it” he said. 

Rachel nodded. She knew nothing they would say would make up for what they had done but the least she owned them was the chance to hear their side of things before she told them how much she hated them for what they had done. In truth she didn’t know if she was going to be able to get past this. She knew in time she would forgive them but she didn’t think she would ever trust them again. 

“Rachel you have to understand that when Finn came to us and asked for permission to marry you we were a little shocked. We weren’t really aware that the two of you were dating” he said. 

“You knew about our relationship” she objected “the reason we never dated seriously in high school was because you wouldn’t allow it” she said unhappily. 
“Rachel the two of your were barely 18 years old. It was a ridiculous idea and I wont apologise for squashing it” her mother spoke up. 

Rachel had never had a close relationship with her mother, she had always been cold in comparison to her father and she could never understand why. She had heard Maria and Isabel talk about all the girly chats and shopping trips that they had with their mothers while growing up but none of that ever occurred between Rachel and her mother. 

“Well I don’t care what you think mother, the fact is that you had no right to make decisions about my life without talking to me about it. For a long time I’ve let you and Dad dictate my life and I’m done” Rachel says her voice raising. 

“Finn and I love each other and what you did was unforgivable. We are responsible adults and always have been. If I wanted to marry Finn I should have been able to, at the very least I should have been given the opportunity to decide for myself.” 

“What and give up all your dreams?” her mother yelled. The one thing Rachel could not understand is why her parents thought it was one or the other her dreams for a successful career or Finn. Why did she have to give up her dreams to be with Finn?, plenty of people their age were married and happy.