What, are you scared?

We walked far from the house and into a small patch of woods that was semi-near the house. The dry leaves crunched under our feet as we walked, the air heavy with the scent of dying things. I was in a dreamy state-of-mind, the kind people get while watching a sad movie or reading a serious book.

When I came into this trance-like state, I mumbled and said things that would be considered "emotional" or "deep". Sometimes, I would quote books that I had read, although I had long forgotten their titles and authors.

Sam stopped in the middle of a small clearing, turning to me and looking at me with light eyes.

"Cam, I have to tell you something," Sam said, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"What's wrong?" I asked, wrapping my arms around his neck and placing my forehead against his.

"Nothing is wrong. Everything is so right," he said, smiling. Sam seemed to be in the same kind of mood I was in, a dreamy, thoughtful state.

I looked as him, examining his face. He smiled again, revealing his perfect, white teeth.

"What?" I asked again. Sam just chuckled and grabbed my hand, pulling me deeper into the woods.

"I think we should head back, Sam," I said, smiling and pulling his hand back toward the house.

"What, are you scared?" he asked, turning to face me.

"I'm not scared of the woods, but you're starting to scare me," I said, dropping his hand and backing away slowly.

"What? Why?" he said, chuckling evilly.

"Sam? What's going on?" I said nervously. I started to back away quickly, but tripped over a tree root as I did. Curse my clumsiness!

"Hey, Cam, c'mon, you know you want to come with me," he smiled.

"No, actually, I don't," I replied, reaching for the small packet of salt I always had in my pockets. I just hoped I had remembered to grab it.

"C'mon, Cam, let's go," he said, grabbing my foot and trying to pull me deeper into the woods. My hands wrapped around the small paper packet of salt.

"No!" I cried, ripping the packet open and throwing the salt at his face. He screamed and the skin on his face sizzled as the small grains of salt came in contact with his skin.

I took this as my opportunity to run. I stood quickly, running into the woods toward the house. I could hear him at a distance behind me, running as fast as he could, with his injured side and all.

I finally made it back to the house, panting, and ran down to the basement, not before completely covering the Devil's Trap at the front door. I hid in the panic room, waiting for Sam's cries.

"Cas, please. I know we got off on the wrong foot before, but I really need your help now," I prayed, hoping Castiel would hear me. I heard a slight swooshing sound behind me and I turned to see Castiel standing there.

"Cas, it's Sam," I said, regaining my breath.

"I saw," Cas said in his usual monotone voice.

"Please.. please help him," I begged, falling onto my knees.

"I'll do what I can," Cas replied, disappearing momentarily. I heard a horrible, bloodcurdling scream rip through the house, through the solid iron walls of the panic room. I stood, wiping the tears I hadn't noticed had spilled onto my cheeks.

"C-Cas? S-S-Sam?" I squeaked, afraid of what I would hear. I walked upstairs, grabbing my silver pocketknife on my way back up.

"Cam," a familiar voice croaked.

"Sam!" I cried softly. He was laying on the floor, right in the center of the Devil's Trap, and hardly moving. I grabbed a handful of salt from a bag of rock salt that was sitting nearby. I slowly approached him, ready to run back downstairs if I needed to.

"Cam," Sam repeated. I crouched near him, sprinkling the salt on his face. Nothing happened. I reached out and touched his face and he placed his hand on top of mine, stroking the back of my hand with his thumb.

"Where's Cas?" I asked him quietly, shifting so I sat cross-legged in front of him.

"I'm right here," said Cas from behind me, making me jump. Sam chuckled softly. I stood, looking at Castiel.

"What happened?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I got the demon out of him and killed it," he replied calmly. I turned and looked at Sam.

"Will he be okay?" I asked, but it was more so directed to me than to Castiel. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"I don't know. I, honestly, don't know," said Cas sadly.