Part 8

My belly started to grow fast, and Largertha made sure that the healer saw me every day. I guess that she might be afraid of something happening to me or to my child.

Sometimes it didn't even feel that I was pregnant, I could do things easily. But Largertha always make sure that someone was with me.

One day I was outside, picking some flowers. Then I saw a men that I thought I would never see it again, Ragnar Lothbrook. When he saw me, he started to run towards me and gave me a warm and long hug.

"I thought that I never see you again." I say to him.

"It takes more than a few years away to kill me." He says stroking my hair.

"But what are you doing here? Where is your mother?" He says concerned.

"Well, I live here now. And my mother is dead." I say looking down.

"I am so sorry, but I need to speak with Largertha. Can you show me where is she?" He says softly.

I lead him to the Great Hall, Largertha sees him and asks what he was doing there. I leave them alone to talk.

After sometime I entered again, seeing them look at each other with nothing but love in their eyes. Reminding me of how I used to look at Ivar the same way. They realize that I was standing there, and they look at me, Ragnar widened his eyes when he sees my belly.

"How I did not see this before?" He says putting his hands on my belly.

"Well, you really wanted to talk to Largertha that you did not even bothered to look down." I say giggling.

"Who is the father?" He asks with excitement in his face and voice.

I look at Largertha and then I look to the floor, I did not wanted him to know about Ivar. But Largertha saw how uncomfortable I was that she says: "She does not want to say, all I know is that the father really hurt her feelings and she came to live with me."

"Did he force you?" His voice changing to excitement to anger.

"No, he just does not love me." I say putting my hand on his cheek.

"That is his lost. But I want to give you something, I was expecting to see you in Kattegat, but here it is." He says giving me my father's bracelet.

"I was next to him when he died, he told me to give this to you. He also told me that you are the most important person in his life, you are beautiful and kind and deserves a great life." Ragnar says hugging me.

I was crying with my father's bracelet in my hand, I would never take it off my wrist. That bracelet meant that he was always with me, and everything would be fine.

"Can you stay? At least until my child is born, please Ragnar?" I begged him.

He puts his hands on my face and says to me: "Of course I will, nothing would make me happier."

"I am sorry Largertha, I did not even asked for your permission." I say to her wiping the tears off my face.

"You do not need to ask permission, Ragnar you are welcome to stay as long as you like." She says smiling at us.

"Thank you." Ragnar says at Largertha.

Each day was better than the other, Ragnar and Largertha started to share a bed. I was really happy for them, they were meant to be together.

One day we were talking about my parents, eating and laughing. Ragnar was telling histories about my father, the first time they went on a raid in England. I was really tired so I went to sleep.

In the middle of the night, I felt a pain on my belly and I screamed. Ragnar and Largertha entered my room really worried.

"Steena, listen to me. Your child is ready to born, you gonna need to be strong. Can you do that?" Largertha says putting her hand on my forehead.

I nodded and then she asks Ragnar to get the midwife.

I was in great pain but I was so happy that my child is going to born, be in my arms. So I can love him or her, no matter what.

"Steena look at me, remember to breathe. Try to stay calm, because your child is coming." Largertha says stroking my hair and kissing my forehead.

Despite the pain, I was calm. With Largertha and Ragnar next to me, I was relaxed and ready for my child be welcomed in the world. The only that made me sad was the fact that my child will never know his or hers father.