Part 12

In the morning, Brynjar and Eirik woke me up. They were hungry, I started to breastfeed them when Largertha entered the room.

"Ivar has arrived, and Ragnar is dead." She says crying.

"How? What happened?" Tears were starting to form in my eyes.

"They went to England to revenge a settlement that King Ecbert destroyed, and I do not know anything else." She cried even more, with a shaky voice.

"Largertha, I know that is not comforting but he is in Vahalla now." I say cursing at myself for repeat the same words that people told me when my mother died.

"I know, that is the only thing that does not make me go crazy." She gives a little smile between the tears falling on her cheek.

"Now get dressed, I believe that Ivar and Ubbe will not come here. Let's get outside, Sigurd asked for you." She quickly changed her tone, to the confident one that I was used to hear.

"I will, let me finish breastfeeding them, and we will go outside." I told her with a smile on my face.

I asked the slave to hold them while I got dressed, I put a purple dress and I braid my hair. I grab Brynjar and the slave is with Eirik. We walk outside and I went to see Sigurd, he grabs Eirik from the slave and starts to play with them.

There was music and laughter all over the room, Brynjar and Eirik were laughing at Sigurd playfulness.

Suddenly I heard a commotion on the room, and I had a bad feeling about it. Sigurd puts Eirik in my left arm and went to see what happened, but somebody stops him, putting a sword at his throat.

My whole body froze, the boys started to cry and I could not do anything. The slave grabs them off my arms and went to the room quickly, I was surprised to see her reaction.

I got up to see what was going on but a man puts an axe at my throat, I could not move, I was scared for my life but at the same time relieved to know that my sons were out of danger.

Suddenly the door opens and I see Ubbe and Ivar, walking towards Largertha. They wanted to kill her, I was scared because I knew that Largertha could easily kill both of them. But I also knew that she would hesitate to kill Ivar, because he is the men I love and he is the father of my children.

Largertha did not move until they were close to the throne, then she got up and grab her sword. I was terrified, the woman that I love like a mother and the man I love were about to fight. Ubbe and Ivar did not see me, they were so focused on killing Largertha that they did not see anything else.

Before any of them could do anything else, the door opened. I saw Björn and Hvitserk, I sigh with relief knowing that Björn would never allow his brothers to kill his mother.

"If you are going to kill her brothers, you will have to kill me too." Björn says with a calm voice, looking at Ivar and Ubbe.

"Maybe we should." Ivar says with a serious tone.

"Shut up." Ubbe hisses.

"She killed our mother." Ubbe says with anger and sadness in his voice.

"I know and you want revenge, I would wanted too. But right now we need to revenge our father, that is why I came back." His tone was calm and confident.

Largertha puts her sword on the ground and Ubbe did the same with his axe, I could see that Ivar was suffering. He lost his father and now his mother, this was too much for him.