Part 38

Ivar's POV

I saw our babies, a boy and a girl. They were so small and fragile, they were the most beautiful babies in the world.

"Father what are their names?" Halstein asked me, he was sitting on my lap, and we were looking at them.

"Balder and Audhild." I said to him, with water in my eyes.

"I can not wait to play with my baby brother and sister." Halstein was excited.

"Father, how they are going to eat?" Eirik asked, Steena was right. He is really smart.

I didn't know what to say, I honestly don't know the answer. I guess that a slave will have to feed my sons, they can not die.

"I do not know my son, but I will think of something." I looked at my sons, they were sad and happy at the same time.

I pray to the Gods that they don't blame Balder and Audhild, for what happened to Steena. They don't deserve being unloved by their brothers.

After all, I was the one that caused this. I knew that Steena was sensible and I pushed her, she loves Lagertha, I can't kill her. Steena would never forgive me if I did, and that is the last thing I want. We didn't have the change to get married, the only thing that I want now is be married to the love of my life.

After a few minutes, Balder and Audhild started to cry, they were hungry. I didn't know what to do, I never hold any of my sons when they were so young.

Lagertha entered the room with a woman, she looked like she just had a  child.

"Ivar, this woman just lost her child. She heard about Steena and wants to help." She told the woman to grab my children.

"I am Bodil, I will help them my King." She started to breastfeed them.

Steena should be doing this, not this woman. She's really kind for helping my children, but I can't think of anything else but my Steena.

After some time, they were full and Bodil left us.

Lagertha entered again.

"I just came from the funeral, are you alright?" Lagertha was crying, she loved her.

"Yes, I am going to sleep." I said to her, looking at my children on the bed, Steena should be here.

I crawled to the bed and I still feel her smell on the furs, she smells so good, she is perfect in every way. But it seems that I can't have it all.

In the morning, I was watching Brynjar, Eirik and Halstein play together. I was holding Balder and Audhild, they are so beautiful.

"Ivar, you have a beautiful family, a big one." Sigurd said chuckling at me.

"But is not complete." I signed and looked at my son and daughter, I need to be strong for them.

"I know." He put a hand on my shoulder and looked at Balder and Audhild.

"Can I hold them?" He asks me and I nodded.

He grabbed them and he starts to whisper histories to them, they were paying attention.

It's not the same without my Steena, but it's different from the first time. I have my children to think about, they need me, and I will be the best father in the world. They will be proud to be called "Sons of Ivar the Boneless" and "Daughter of Ivar the Boneless", I need to think of my daughter too.

Now that I know that Bergljot it's not my daughter, I have one that is mine. And it's mine with my Steena, I need to be strong for our children. I know that Steena would want that, I need her, our children need her.

"Uncle Ivar." I look up and I saw Bergljot, I frowned at her.

"Why are you calling me uncle?" I asked her confused, she never called me uncle.

"Because my father said that you are my uncle, only him is my father." She says proud and I laugh.

"Yes, he is right. I am your uncle." She hugs me and she went to play with Brynjar, Eirik and Halstein.

I never thought that I would see this, Ubbe being a father. After all of this years of drinking and sleeping with women, he is a father, and a good one.

"Ivar, I need to thank you. If was not for you, I would never meet my daughter." He says to me smiling.

"You do not need to thank me, just treat her like a princess." I warned him and he chuckles.

"I will." He said and walked away.

I was so happy for Ubbe and Bergljot, they were going to be a family, their little family. They were happy together and I couldn't be more proud of Ubbe, he hated Bergljot for many years but now he loves her.

It was night already and I called Brynjar, Eirik and Halstein to bathe and then sleep. Bodil came and breastfeed Balder and Audhild. She never stayed more than necessary, Lagertha made sure of that, she didn't wannna anyone thinking that they could be the mother of my children. And I couldn't agree more with her, no woman could ever replace Steena. 

Some slaves prepared the bath for Brynjar, Eirik and Halstein and they were tired after.

I didn't even had to told them to go sleep, they just went to the bed and slept in minutes.

I was admiring them, they are so perfect. They can look like my family, but they are just like Steena's family. They have a big heart, they are kind, and fearless. I remember the last time I spoke with Steena's father, he was about to go to Paris.

I was just a child but I remember clearly.

"When you grow up, you must tell my daughter that you love her." Brynjar knelt and looked at me in the eye.

"This is stupid, I do not love her. And do you want your daughter with me?"  I tried to pretend that I didn't love Steena, but Brynjar was clever.

"I know I am right, and if you make her happy, as I see that she is when she is next to you, you can be with her as long as you can, Ivar." He got up and left to the ship.

I was deep in my thoughts when I feel a hand squeezing my shoulder, I look up and I see Lagertha, she is smiling.

"Ivar, Steena is awake, she is asking for you."