I Kinda Have A Crush On You | Dave Hodgman

Dave fucking Hodgman.

He's not your typical guy that girls fall for in high school. He's not a jock with distinct muscles, blond hair, or blue eyes. Dave has amazing chocolate hair that you just want to run your fingers through, shining amber eyes that I could get lost in, and these beautiful pink lips that look so delicate and soft. People at this school might label him a nerd or just a guy with barely any friends, but I see him as a really nice and sweet guy that everyone should get to know. You would think that since I knew he was nice and sweet to people that I'm like his best friend or something, but I'm not. I can't even walk two steps towards him without getting super nervous, my hands will get clammy, and sometimes I'll almost have a panic attack. I sigh, thinking of the pathetic times I've tried to overcome my nervousness and go up to Dave and say hi at least. I always think that Dave's not going to want to talk to me because I'm not skinny like Jane, who I've heard that Dave has feelings for.

"When are you going to grow a pair and go talk to him?" My best friend, Steff, asks me as I open my locker.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about." I tell her, placing my books inside it.

"Of course you know what I'm talking about. C'mon, he's right over there." She points to my left and my eyes follow seeing Dave at his locker.

"I-I can't. I'm nothing like Jane. I'm not as pretty as her or as skinny as her. He'll never want to talk to a girl who's has muffin tops and is slightly chubbier than most girls in this damn school." I say sadly not looking away from Dave.

"I don't see why he wouldn't. You're a very pretty girl, Y/N, whether you think so or not," She rubs my arm smiling softly at me, "Plus you're literally the sweetest girl ever, even if it's to people who don't deserve your kindness."

"Thanks Steff," I smile back at her, trying to blink the tears away, "This is why I love you." I giggle, slightly sniffling.

"It's what I'm here for babes. But I'm serious about you talking to him. You don't have to do it now, but sometime before the school year ends, okay?" I nod in response, closing my locker and we bid goodbye as I leave the school to walk home.

I was walking home when I had ran into another person. Me being me, I apologized quickly before continuing to walk towards my house. "Y/N?" I heard a familiar deep voice ask behind me. I froze, stopping in my tracks, turning around seeing Dave standing before me. "Y/N, hi." Dave smiles and I give him a small wave of my hand.

"H-Hi, Dave." I stutter, looking to the ground, playing with the ends of my hair.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry I ran into you." He asks, giving me a small smile.

"Uh, y-yeah. I-I'm fine, but I really h-have to go." I rush, my hands becoming sweaty, my chest starting to tighten a little. Dave's eyebrows furrow in confusion and worry as I back away from him. "I-I'm sorry." I whisper, running down the street as tears stream down my face, leaving Dave staring at my running figure, a sad expression forming on his face. I run into my house, slamming the door shut, breathing heavily as my eyes are closed. I immediately take my phone out, dialing Steff's number, pressing my phone against my ear while biting my nails.

"Y/N? What's up?" Steff asks as I run my hands through my hair.

"You'll never fucking guess who I ran into on the way home." I sigh, sliding down against the door.

"Oh my god, no way. Dave?!" She yells, making me pull the phone away from my ear.

"Yeah, Dave. It was terrible. I just made a fool of myself, Steff." I cry out, breathing heavily.

"Alright Y/N, you need to breathe okay?" She tells me and I nod my head, trying to breathe. I lean my head against the door, holding my breath for a few seconds. When I realize it doesn't work, I tell Steff that I have to go. Once I hang up the phone, I close my eyes, trying to think of happy things. A knock on my door breaks me from my thoughts and I scramble to my feet, opening the door, finding Dave on the other side. He gives me a small smile and wave while I just stare at him, my lips parted in surprise, wondering how he knew where my house was.

"I know this is weird for me to just show up at your house, but you looked uneasy back there and was just wondering if everything is alright," Dave says, worry laced in his cute voice.

"Um, yeah. I-I'm fine. I just get panic attacks sometimes." I confess, trying to get my hands to stop shaking. The color in Dave's face fades away as he looks at me worried.

"Well, are you okay? Is it over?" He asks, looking at my shaking hands before taking them into his own. "It hasn't gone away, has it?" I shake my head, looking at the floor, trying to hold back the tears pooling in my eyes.

"Is there anything I can do?" He asks, walking into the house, dragging me to the couch. He sits next to me and all I can think about is that Dave's sitting in my house, talking to me.

"I'm calming down, surprisingly." I acknowledge, looking over at him and his eyebrows furrow together in confusion.

"Why is that a surprise?" Dave asks.

"I was always too nervous to talk to you." I whisper, not sure he actually heard me.

"Why would you be nervous? I'm just Dave." He mutters, rubbing his palms against his jeans.

"You're not just Dave, Dave. You're super sweet, nice, kind to everyone even when they're mean to you. I don't understand why everyone at school wouldn't want to be friends with you. I get nervous to talk to you, because Ikindahaveacrushonyou." I say quickly, looking away from him.

"I'm sorry I didn't get that." Dave leans forward slightly, trying to get me to repeat the words I don't want to repeat. I sigh loudly, my hands becoming clammy. Now or never, Y/N.

"I kinda have a crush on you, but you were always into Jane and I could never compete with her because she's super skinny, and I'm not." A tear slips down my cheek, quickly wiping it away and I look over to Dave, seeing his eyes widen a bit.

"Oh, wow. What if I told you that I thought you were beautiful, just the way you are?" Dave asks, reaching over to grab one of my hands.

"I'd say you're crazy." I chuckle, sniffling a little bit. Dave laughs, sitting closer to me which makes my heartbeat pick up.

"Honestly, you're a gorgeous girl and one of the sweetest too. People would be crazy not to like you and I did try to talk to you once, but you ran away. So, I initially thought that I did something to make you hate me. Turns out you liked me." Dave smiles, licking his lips a bit. "Maybe I could take you out this weekend?" Dave asks and my head snaps up, looking at him with wide eyes.

"A-As a date?" My heart flutters as he nods his head. "I'd love too, Dave." I smile and his phone rings. He looks at it, muttering something.

"That's great! C-Could you give me your number, so I can text you the details later? My mom texted me and she needs me to watch Stella." Dave rushes, giving me his phone. I put my name and number in his phone, walking him to the door, opening it for him.

"Thanks for coming to check on me. It was really sweet of you and I can't wait to find out what you have planned." I tell him, smiling. He nods his head, a lopsided grin on his lips before he presses a chaste kiss to my cheek before heading out the door. My eyes widen, slowly moving my hand towards my cheek, still feeling his lips against it. I bite my lips, smiling and start squealing, rushing upstairs to my room to call Steff all about it.

Vote! Comment! Share! Send Requests!