Keep Your Eyes On Me | Mitch Rapp

I got off the bus, walking towards the café that I have worked at for many years. After clocking in and getting a quick drink from the back room, I walked out into the dining area, putting on my apron as rush hour seemed to hit quickly. Through the mist of people that are sat at the tables inside and outside on the patio, one of them certainly caught my attention. He looked to be around my age, mid 20s, dark brown hair that looks absolutely soft, and a bit of scruff hugging his chin and upper lip. From what I can see here, he's got gorgeous honey brown eyes and his pink lips seemed to be one of the features I like about him. I wiped my sweaty hands on my apron, bringing two menus over to him and an older man that was with him. I placed the menus onto the table, both of the men glancing towards me as I give them a warm smile.

"Hello gentlemen. I'm Y/N and I'll be your waitress. Can I start you guys with something to drink?" I asked, glancing between both of them. The younger guy gave me a hesitant smile as the other's facial expression stayed blank.

"We're not here to buy anything," The older man bluntly said, pushing the menus back into my arms and I frown, feeling embarrassed. I nod my head, about to walk away, when a voice speaks out.

"Actually," A deep voice rang out, making me turn around, the younger guy continues, "Can I get a coffee, black, two sugars?" He smiled, my heart melting as I wrote it down.

"Of course, sir," I muttered, giving him a shy smile, walking back into the café and releasing a breath of relief. I totally thought I'd screw that up somehow. I bit my lip, walking behind the counter as I begin making a cup of coffee for the mysterious man.

I brought the coffee out, hearing the older man ask the cute one a question. "What do you think we do here?" I stayed hidden, eavesdropping, trying to stay as quiet as I could.

"Kill people who need to be killed," He said and my mouth dropped, my hands nervously shaking as I'm afraid to even go back out there but I do it anyway. There's a fake smile on my lips as I place the coffee in front of him, going to leave when the older guy stops me.

"You know, eavesdropping could get you killed here," He mentioned, his eyes glancing up towards me and my face pales, looking around the area.

"I-I'm sorry. I really am. P-Please, I'm not even from here. My parents sent me here to learn about the culture," I nervously rant, tears threatening to spill as I kept my head down, feeling both of their eyes on me.

"Hurley, give the girl a break," The younger guy sighed, shaking his head as Hurley glared at him, scoffing while crossing his arms.

"First mistake, rookie. She could be working with the enemy for all we know. Shouldn't let personal feelings into the fray of your missions, Mitch," Hurley told him, cuffing my hand to the metal fence and I let out a surprise squeak.

"Personal feelings? It's not even that, Stan. She's just trying to make a living while she's here. You can't just leave her here, cuffed to the metal fence," Mitch glared and when Hurley was about to say something, gunshots went off, making me jump as the other two looked around, on alert. The shooting continued, getting closer to the café as people began to run, screaming for their lives. They both got up, getting ready to leave as my eyes widened. Are they seriously going to leave me cuffed to the table?

"You're seriously going to leave me here? I'll die!" I panicked, pulling my wrist, trying to desperately get the cuff off of my hand. Hurley kept running as Mitch stopped in his tracks, looking back at me as tears streamed down my face. "P-Please. I-I won't say anything about what you do. I-I just don't want to die," I sobbed, falling to the ground my wrist bleeding from the cuff cutting my skin.