Chapter 3: Seriously?

June
One week later

I get to the bus stop and see Tess sitting there alone. I sit down next to her awkwardly.

I text Day to ask him if he wants to meet outside the school somewhere.

I can't. I got suspended

Wow.

What did you do?

Let's just say it involved the gym teacher and the gym supplies. And a red sharpie

Day!

Sorry 😐

How long until you get back to school?

Three days

See you then

Want to come over after school today?

You're not grounded?

I've told you before and I'm sure I'll tell you again

My

Parents

Don't

Care

About

Me

Wow. I don't think that's true. I mean they've got to care at least a little.

Okay 😐

See you Thursday

You too

"Hey Tess." I say as I sit next to her on the bus.

"Hey."

Over the past week I've become more comfortable talking to Day. I mean I was even last week but now I feel like I've known him for years instead of mere days.

I wish that I had been at this school since kindergarten. The only person who's said anything mean to me is Kaede.

She never said anything after my first day though.

I get off the bus with Tess and we walk to the school. Her and I get changed into our school uniforms in the bathroom before walking to our lockers together.

Kaede walks up to me.

"Hey June." She says. "I just wanted to apologize for lashing out at you your first day. My cat had just died the day before and I was feeling kind of crappy that day." I finish grabbing my stuff before turning to face her.

"It's okay Kaede. I'm sorry about your cat."

She nods. "Want to walk to class together?"

"Sure." I say.

"Where's Day?"

"He got suspended."

"He needs to stop being a spoiled brat and just behave." She says rolling her eyes.

"He's not as bad as some of these other kids." I say. "Especially not after you get to know him."

"I know him better than you June. What's his favorite color? Birthday? What about his middle name?"

"Well his favorite color is brown, his birthday is the fifth of January, and his middle name is Altan."

"Well maybe you know some things about him but his favorite color is red."

"Well he told me brown." I say.

"Whatever." Kaede says. "Want to walk to first period together?"