Chapter 20: Money Can Buy Everything?

Day

June and I walk into my house after school on Friday. It's been a week and it's been long. June seems to have had a bad day today but won't tell me about it. Not yet anyways.

We sit together on the couch and Eden walks in a few minutes later.

"Hey." He says.

"Hi Eden." We both say.

"So I know you probably don't want to hear this but I just overheard a conversation between Mom and Dad."

"Continue?" I ask.

"They paid the school so June would have to leave."

"What?" June asks.

"Sorry but it appears it's true." Eden says. I stand up.

"Day?" June says.

"I'm sorry June. I have to go do this. Do I have permission to tell your parents your story?"

"Yes." She says.

"Do you want to be there?"

"No. They obviously don't like me anyways." I nod and squeeze her hand.

As I walk into my parents room they instantly stop talking.

"Something wrong?" My Mom asks.

"Yeah. There is actually."

"Don't worry we've already paid your way back into your old school. It took some convincing but no one can say no to a hundred grand."

"Firstly, what if I don't want to go back? Second. Why did you pay the school to expel my girlfriend?"

"That's a ridiculous theory Daniel." My Dad says.

"Yeah right. Eden told me. He heard you guys. And don't think for a second I'll trust you two over my brother. Get her back into the school. Pay her tuition for the rest of her high school. That's the only way I would consider forgiving you. You have no idea what you made her go back to."

"Honey we don't think that's a good idea." Mom says.

"Yeah." Dad says. "We don't want you seeing her anymore. We've arranged for Carrie to come over in a few hours and I want the two of you to go to dinner together."

"No." I say.

"Yes." He says. "You will not disobey us in this. If you and Carrie are not eating together at a restaurant by six I will ground you." What kind of parents do I have?

"Whatever." I say.

"Now send June home. She can't be here when you're going on a date in two hours." Ugh. What am I supposed to do?

I walk back into the living room and sit down next to June quickly pulling her into my arms in case my parents come in.

"You want to go to McDonald's later?"

"Sure, but why?" June asks laughing. 

"My parents are trying to split us up so they're making me take Carrie out, but they never said you couldn't come with. Carrie will probably be so disgusted by the place she'll leave."

My mom walks into the room and I tighten my arms on her waist.

"Daniel, I want you to go to a nice restaurant tonight."

"Yeah okay." I say.

"June sweetie Daniel has a date tonight. Your little affair needs to end. Bye now."

"Are you kidding me?" June asks standing up.

"No actually. I'm not sure what you think you're doing but my son is way too good for you. He's only with you to try to get our attention. Please do us all a favor and get out of here."

"Maybe I should." June says. She walks into the kitchen. My mom may think she left but I know better. She's going to talk with Corinna.

"Mom. You've no idea what you just did. June was viciously bullied at the school you've forced her back into. Pay her tuition. Please." I don't have any power. There's nothing I can do. About the only thing I could try is running away and I don't think that would work. Plus no offense to June but I wouldn't do that for her. I mean we didn't start dating that long ago. I'm not in love with her or anything. Not yet.

"Do you promise you won't get expelled again? I will pay if you agree to go on this date with Carrie tonight."

"Sure." I say.

"Without June."

"Oh. I'll do it. Of course I will."

"Then I'll make a call to your school and get you both in there by Monday." I awkwardly hug my mom.

"Thank you." We've never been close.

"Yes." She says. "Now send June home."

"Mom she's my girlfriend. She's coming with me."

"I suppose you're right. I'm sorry Daniel I just got mad. I want you to end up with Carrie. She's just such a good match for you."

"Mom I'm glad you care enough to apologize but a simple I'm sorry can't fix all the damage you've done to this family."

I walk away and find June in the kitchen making something. I know it's the 21st century and a woman doesn't 'belong in the kitchen' but I still think it's hot June enjoys it.

"What're you making?" I ask.

"Corinna was just showing me how to make soft pretzels. I always loved baking but growing up with just me and my brother I never got the chance to. We usually just get takeout."

"Oh that's too bad." I say. "I like cooking too. I mean it's okay. I guess I more like eating."

June takes my hands and wraps herself into my arms after Corinna takes the bowl from her to add another ingredient.

"So you ready for our date with Carrie?" I ask with a laugh. "My Mom agreed to pay your tuition."

"What?" June asks turning around lighting quick. "Why didn't you open with that?" She hits my arm lightly before pulling me into a tight hug.

"Thank you." She whispers.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

-Ava