Chapter 15: Yes!

June

I get a phone call from Tess at eleven pm. It's Saturday night. Metias and I were watching a movie. She calls again.

"Metias I have to take this." I say. He pauses the movie and I walk into my room.

"What's up?" I ask. "You okay?"

"Listen June. I know we aren't the closest of friends but I need to ask a favor."

"Yeah sure. Anything."

"Can I stay over at your place?"

"Uh, I'd have to ask my brother. What happened?"

"My parents are fighting. It's really bad June. Please let me stay over."

"Hey Metias!" I call out.

"What?"

"Can Tess stay over? It's an emergency."

"Yeah." Metias has met Tess.

"He says yeah."

"Thanks June. You're the best. No wonder Day likes you so much." I'm thankful we aren't talking in person or she'd see the blush on my face.

"Yeah right." I say. I don't know why I keep denying this. I mean I think Day must like me or he wouldn't have written a song about me. A love song.

The doorbell rings a few minutes later and I run to open the door. Tess looks exhausted. She embraces me in a tight hug.

"Thank you." She says as she lets out a small cry. I wrap my arms around her.

"Yeah. I'm just curious though. Why couldn't you stay with Eden?"

"I mean I could. But that would be awkward. I mean sleeping in the same room as him? I like him but I don't think I want to do that. We haven't been dating all that long. Plus his parents already dislike me."

"Okay." I say. "Do you want to watch a movie or just go to bed?"

"A movie sounds good." Tess says. She sets a bag down in my room.

"How did you pack so fast?"

"I was already packed."

"Where did you plan to go if you couldn't come here?" I ask.

"I figured you're a good person. I thought you'd say yes. Also I could've called Kaede."

Wow. Tess called me before Kaede.

I pull out a mattress I keep under my bed for Tess to sleep on and I start the movie.

••••••

Day invited me to the beach with him. I tell Tess she's free to stay as long as she pleases but that I want to go to the beach by myself.

I drive to the beach to find Day sitting on a blanket. I sit next to him.

"Hey." I say.

"Hi." He responds. "Listen. There's something I've been needed to tell you and I'm really worried about it. So promise to be my friend after?"

"Of course."

"I have a huge crush on you and I was wondering if you'd like to, possibly be my girlfriend? If you don't it's okay I just needed to get that off my chest at least and please can we still be friends?" He asks.