Chapter 22: She's Here

Day

I am pacing the floors of the hospital. My sister better be okay. I mean she's not born yet but.

June is at home. She's been texting me since I dropped her off.

It'll be okay Day -June

I smile at my phone. She knows not to push me, especially in this situation. I love—wait no—do I? Maybe.

My mom is having her c-section right now.

Corinna is sitting reading a magazine next to Tess. Tess has been kind of living with us for the past week. None of us know why, besides Eden, I just assume there's good reason.

"Hey Tess?" I ask.

"Yeah?" She says looking up at me. Her and I have become better friends since she started dating Eden. I've talked to her about June and such.

"You don't have to answer this, but why are you staying with us?" Her sweet innocent smile goes away and her eyes darken.

"I don't want to talk about it Day." She says.

"Sorry I asked. Do you want your own room? You could move in with us. I doubt my parents would even notice."

"I don't-" she pauses. "Sorry I just. Can I hug you?" I laugh.

"Yeah Tess." I say.

"Thank you for caring." She murmurs as I wrap my arms around her. I pull away.

"Anytime Tess." I say.

"You're welcome at the Wing home." Corinna says.

"Wing family." A nurse says walking into the room.

We all walk over to her.

"Baby is safe. Can't say the same for Mom." The nurse says. "She seems to have a rare disease we were unable to detect before now. Mrs. Wing is now in surgery. Mr. Wing has been relocated to another room and you can all see the baby girl." I hope my mom is okay.

"Your father has signed the birth certificate." The nurse continues. "Her name is Sofia. S-o-f-i-a."

We follow the nurse into a room where my father is. He seems upset.

We all sit down on the various chairs. I sit on the patient bed because there's one chair left and I decide to leave it for Tess.

A doctor walks in a few minutes later.

"Hello I'm Doctor Matthews in the memory department." He pauses as he looks up at me from his clipboard. "And, you aren't Diane I'm guessing."

"Nope." I say with a laugh.

"Sorry. Wrong room." He says.

"No problem." My father says.

The Doctor leaves the room and we all fall into an awkward silence.

••••••

Three nurses walk into the room about an hour later.

"Sofia is stable. However we cannot have her leaving the room she's in. One visitor at a time. Immediate family only." The nurse says. Corrina stands up.

"Miss, I'm going to be her nanny." She says.

"You can come look at her but not hold her." A second nurse says.

We all walk down to the room. My dad goes in first.

He comes out ten minutes later and allows John to go in.

I go in after he walks out the door and see my beautiful little sister. She has a small amount of blonde hair on her head.

I smile at her as the nurse hands her to me. I hope my mom is okay to raise this girl.

She better do a good job. I sit down in on of the chairs. She looks so peaceful.

"Hey Sofia." I say softly. "I can't promise you'll have great parents. I can't even promise you'll have good ones. But I will be there for you."

I sit with her for a few more minutes before leaving to let Eden go in. They let Corinna go with him since she won't be holding Sofia anyways.

I walk back to the private waiting room they gave to us. June is sitting in there waiting for me.

"How did you?"

"I asked at the front desk Day." June says with a laugh. "It seemed important that I come."

"I'm glad you did." I say sitting by her.

"I'm glad your sister is okay."

"Mom's okay." Eden says walking into the room. Great. Now it's all good.

A/N: Sorry it's so short. Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

-Ava