Chapter 18: Battleships

Day (a few months later)

Today is a Friday. I am sitting at lunch with June debating whether my teaching her to drive was a date.

"We didn't have food." She says.

"Well we're eating food right now, does that make this a date?" I ask. June rolls her eyes.

"Shut it. You know what I mean."

"No I don't." I say.

"Whatever. I don't really care if it was a date or not. I care about the way it ended." She says smirking. I roll my eyes but still blush a little.

I swear I've never been kissed the way June kisses me. She may as well have been my first kiss because after I kissed her none of those other ones mattered anymore. I'm already falling in love and I've only been on one date.

"You want to come over after school? Corinna has her first day back today. She is probably unpacking as we speak in her room." I say.

"Sure." June says. She takes me by the hand. "We could just go now."

"You don't mean that." I reply.

"I know. I know."

••••••

June and I walk out to my car. I've been giving her rides to school lately. So what if it's three miles out of the way? It's easier for her and gets the message out that she's mine.

"So what is Corinna like?" June asks. "I mean I've only met her once."

"Well she loves to cook for us, she used to take us to the beach every Saturday for a picnic. She loves baking cinnamon rolls. Loves it."

"Okay. Anything else?" She asks turning down the radio.

"She's very interested in classical music and theater."

"Cool." She says.

We park in my driveway and I see Corinna's old Ford. When I was little I thought it looked out of place here, now I like it. It always smells like cookies and is a bit messy. It makes it real. Unlike my parents spotless sports cars.

I wrap an arm over June's shoulder as we walk into the house. We've been dating a few months now. I don't know how we ever stayed platonic. I mean I couldn't imagine that.

"Daniel!" I hear as we walk through the door. Corinna is standing at the kitchen counter stirring something in a bowl. She has sweatpants and a tee shirt on.

This is why I love her being my nanny. She is real. My mother wouldn't be caught dead in sweatpants. She sleeps in an actual nightgown. Every. Single. Night.

"Hey Corinna." I say. June sits on a barstool at the counter. This is the half of the house we are allowed to keep a little messy. Corinna knows that. It's why she uses this kitchen instead of the formal one my parents chef uses.

"What are you making?" June asks.

"Cinnamon rolls. Eden's request." She says.

"Want to play battleships?" I ask June.

"Sure." She says.

••••••

I won by a long shot. I stacked all my ships on top of each other.

"Let me see where yours were." June says taking a bite of the cinnamon roll Corinna gave her.

I show it to her.

"Day that's cheating!" She says laughing.

"No it's not. It's strategic playing."

"Okay let's see the rules." June says holding her hand out.

"Fine. You win." I say.

"That's what I thought." My Mom walks into the room with a disgusted look on her face.

"You really need to clean this place up." She says.

"This is our living room and kitchen. You can't even hear us let alone see us from the other side of the house so what does it matter?" I ask. She sighs.

"I'm having a girl." She says. "Just thought you might care to know. Hi Corinna."

"Hi Mrs. Wing." She says.

"Hey June." My Mom says kind of disgustedly.

"Hi." June says. What is wrong with my mom? I quickly pull June into my lap. I've never done it before but she doesn't object. I wrap my arms around her tightly.

"You're so beautiful." I whisper into her ear. She smiles and laughs lightly.

"Whatever." My Mom says. She leaves the room. "I've got to do something about them." I hear her mutter. If she even tries...

"Your Mom hates me." June says with a sad look on her face. Eden is sitting on the couch across from us on his phone.

"If it helps, she doesn't just hate you. It's the whole middle class." He says taking a bite from his cinnamon roll.

"That doesn't help." June says. "But whatever."

"I don't hate you." Eden says. "You keep him" he points at me, "from doing stupid things. Things he regrets but doesn't tell anyone. Like putting pictures of cartoon characters in the school hallway."

"That was funny." I say laughing. "You have to admit it."

"Whatever." Eden says.

"Want to play battleships Eden?" June asks standing up. "I assume you don't cheat."

"Sure." Eden says with a laugh.

After a few minutes they get their game started.

I walk into the kitchen with Corinna and help her clean up.

"I'm glad you're back." I say. She pulls me into a tight hug.

"Me too kid." She says. "It feels like coming home."

"Doesn't to me. I'd rather live in a house like yours. Messy and perfect. It has a few cracks but that's what makes it real."

"I can't say I disagree with you, but my home is where my kids are. You, John, and Eden will always be my kids. Always."

"Thank you." I say.

"No problem. I wouldn't change it if I could. Who else would I make cinnamon rolls for?"

"I don't know." I say.

I walk out into the living room and it appears June is winning, at least that's what the unhappy look on Eden's face is telling me.

"I1." June says.

"No you didn't." Eden says. "I still have two ships left."

"Eden I meant the coordinate."

"Oh." He says. I laugh and sit down next to my girlfriend.

A/N: The whole I1 thing happened between me and my sister lol. Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

-Ava