Chapter 16: Canoeing

Day (weeks later)

June and I decided to go canoeing for our first date. I packed us a picnic and we are going out to the lake because if we went in the ocean we'd get lost.

I also have a huge floating dry box to keep everything in when it's not being used because we are both beginners who will in all honesty probably tip the canoe.

June walks into my house with a pair of jean shorts and a tee shirt on. She has her hair tied back into a knotted bun.

"Hey Day." She says. "You ready?" I nod. We set our phones down and I grab the flip phone my family all shares that is used for when we don't want to take our expensive phones somewhere. I don't want June or my phone to get wet but if there's an emergency we need to be able to call for help.

We drive for about half an hour to get to the lake. June and I get the canoe down from the top of the car and carefully put all our stuff inside before putting lifejackets on and getting in the boat. We are terrible at canoeing and will definitely be putting these jackets to good use.

After paddling for a few minutes we stop to eat lunch.

"Hey, you want to play bowling?" June asks after we've finished eating.

"What?" I laugh. She then proceeds to pull a mini bowling set out of her pocket and set up ten little pins and hand me a marble to knock them over.

"Go on." She says. I laugh as I roll the little marble at the pins. I knock down none of them.

June laughs rolling it back and knocking them all over. She foolishly stands up and cheers which causes the canoe to tip.

Everything but the bowling set was in the floating dry box. June flips the canoe right side up.

"My bowling set!" She screams.

I put my hands on her shoulders as we float in the lake.

"June. Relax. How much did it cost?"

"Three dollars." She mumbles.

"I'll buy you a new one." I say. She smiles.

"So. What do we do now? We kind of failed at canoeing."

"Can I kiss you?" I ask. Instead of answering June brings her lips to mine.

She pulls back a minute later and smirks at me.

"So, you wanna just go to the store in these wet clothes?" June asks.

"You got a better idea?"

"Got any clothes in your car?"

"A sweatshirt. You can wear it." That last sentence was hardly question. Girls shirts always get super see through when wet. I can't tell if hers is or not through the life jacket.

"Thanks." June says. We drag the canoe out and get everything from the dry box safely in the car before turning the canoe upside down to try to drain out as much water as possible.

"Target?" June asks.

"Definitely." I say. June and I remove our life jackets and put them in the truck bed  before securing the canoe.

I look over at June briefly before quickly throwing my sweatshirt at her. She needs it.

We get into the car and drive down the road for a while. June surfs the radio channels before settling on the worst possible one, rap. Half the time you can't even understand what the people are saying.

"June. This is trash." I say. She rolls her eyes.

"I didn't say anything when you played that weird music on the way here."

"Rock isn't weird."

"Can you really understand the words of that better?" June asks.

"They talk slower."

"Eh."

"What music do you like then?" I ask merging onto a new highway.

"Anything. Just depends on my mood. If I'm happy I'll listen to pop, if I'm sad I'll listen to classical, if I'm angry I'll listen to breakup songs, and if I'm bored I randomly switch between some other genres."

"Okay whatever." I say. June takes my right hand and intertwines our fingers.

"I really like being with you Day." She says.

••••••

We walk into Target and grab a cart. After about five minutes we stop looking at the little dollar section and look for the bowling set.

"So what made you actually ask me out? I mean I don't know about you but I've liked you for a while." June says.

"You kissed me June. It was hard for me to deny that you were into me after that. Plus, even if I wanted to deny it. There's no way I could possibly stop thinking about that kiss if I tried." She blushes.

"I agree."

"It was worth risking our friendship because I knew that our friendship is strong enough that even if you had said no we would still be friends."

"Wow. I mean I agree." June says. She looks to her left as she pulls the sleeves of my sweatshirt down with her fingers. She looks absolutely adorable in it. It's a little long on her and the sleeves are too wide. My last name is on the back as well. I might just let her keep this.

"Bowling set!" She yells. I follow her over to the little kids aisle. She grabs two of them.

"You need one too. We can FaceTime tonight and have a miniature bowling tournament. Don't worry. I'll pay for yours too."

"June it's three dollars. I think I can manage. I'll get yours too." I say taking the bowling sets from her.

We walk to the checkout after grabbing a bottle of pink hair dye, use to be announced.

••••••

June and I walk quietly into John's bathroom. She grabs his shampoo from the shelf and pours the contents into another bottle. Don't want to just throw it away.

I pour the hair dye into it. I feel kinda bad for doing this but it will wash out after a few weeks. It's not completely permanent. That would be evil.

It's a good thing John got our family's blond hair or else the pink wouldn't even show up.

I wrap my arm around June's waist and peck her lips quickly. Even something that small is enough for me to feel sparks.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

-Ava