Chapter 20

"Hey, Genevieve!"

On normal circumstances I would've totally broken someone's wrist if they attempted to grab my arm. But this was Dylan, Alice's ex-boyfriend, and this guy as far as I know, he's tough.

I spin around, yanking my arm away. "What?"

"I just want to talk to you." He breathed heavy like he'd been running.

"I don't even know you." I scowled at him, beginning to turn away before he grabbed my arm again.

"Yes you do, and I know you too." He let go as soon as soon as turned back around. "I just need to talk to you."

I narrowed my eyes. "If you know who I am why do you want to talk to me?"

The halls were empty by now, thank God.

"Because, I know you're not as much of a hard ass as you make yourself out to be."

"Really?" I make my stare as dangerous as possible but he doesn't even flinch. Great. "I'm already late, let just end this talk early."

"For lunch? I think Julie can wait a little." Dylan seemed to smirk a little but it was quickly replaced with a serious look. "I need to talk about Alice."

I lean on the lockers beside me, glaring at him. I clearly didn't like talking about Alice. "If this is about the old rumors I really don't need to hear it."

Hey gave me a hard stare. "You and I both know there's some truth to it."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm sure you know why she broke up with me right?"

I only shrugged, picking at my nails all the while. Really not liking this conversation.

He leaned closer. "She told me that she still..." His fist clenched at his side. "She said that she still loves you."

"Yeah, she told me that lie already," I said, rolling my eyes. "Guessing she told you the whole story?"

He leaned back, hand clasped around his upper arm. "Yep, the whole shebang."

I raised my eyebrows. "And you're not spreading it around the school?"

"Of course not." He met my eyes briefly. "I'm not like that, and even if I did I'd just be seen as the douche bag ex-boyfriend and cast aside."

"Then why did you want to talk to me?"

"Well, I was wondering if you two did get back together in secret."

I managed to crack a smile and laugh, the thought of that happening was hilarious. "Don't worry, I'm never touching that again."

Dylan smiled a little too. "Even though I still really like her, I think I'm just gonna take the same route as you."

"Really?"

"Yeah..." He trailed off a bit like he wanted to say something else. "We on good terms then?"

"Sure..." I furrowed my brows. "Never really considered you an enemy."

Really, I just used his existence to fuck with Alice. All in all, he didn't seem too bad. But of course, Genevieve Rogers has to hate everyone.

"The Genevieve Rogers, admitting that she doesn't hate everyone." He stood straighter this time. "I think this calls for a new friendship."

I laughed. "Friendship?"

"We got our hearts broken by the same girl," he said, crossing his arms over his chest. "We have something in common."

"That's about it."

"We both like chicks."

"So?"

I began to walk away but he ran and blocked my way.

"We can mess with Alice a bit too."

That peaked my interest. "How?"

"Just act all buddy buddy, then we don't talk to her, have her confused and angry." He grinned like he thought it was a brilliant idea.

I mean, it wasn't too bad.

"I don't like the sound of buddy buddy."

"I mean your kind of buddy buddy," he said. "You simply acknowledging that I exist is buddy buddy."

"Okay, okay. I'll see." I narrowed my eyes. "Why do you want this so bad?"

Dylan looked away, a little shamefully. "I need real friends. And as much as I still like Alice, I'm angry."

I crossed my arms. "I feel used."

"What about me? I was basically Alice's beard."

"Sucks for you."

He pouted, which looked very weird on his face. "That's mean."

"I'm not a nice person."

Dylan gave a smile radiating so much charm that I think I turned straight for a millisecond. "I think you're a very pleasant person."

I rolled my eyes and began walking away toward the cafeteria. "Bye now."

"We're friends now!"

I held my head and massaged my temples. He was acting just like Julie.

__________

"Did you hear about the kidnapping at school?"

Julie grinned this adorable grin and looked up at me expectantly as we walked.

There was no kidnapping at school, I knew that. And I felt disappointed by how slow I was at getting the joke. It took me almost five damn seconds.

"You're a fucking idiot Jules."

"What do you mean?" Julie began skipping ahead of me. "It's genius."

"You probably googled that."

"So?" Julie spun around. "No shame in Google."

"Still, you're an idiot."

Julie hopped back a quickly grabbed my hand, for some reason deciding it'd be a good idea to intertwine our fingers.

"I'm your idiot," she said, so sweet that it gave me diabetes.

"Ugh, sappy as fucking Aunt Jemima's Original syrup."

I yanked my hand away and wiped them on my jeans, totally to wipe off Julie cooties and not because my hands were sweaty.

Julie started to slow, furrowing her brows like she was thinking.

"Do you have any syrup?"

"No, why?"

"I was thinking we'd make pancakes one day, from scratch."

I swear, she should be hanging with the culinary kids instead of me.

"Sure, tomorrow?"

Julie smiled big. "Tomorrow it is!"