Babies Come From Storks

When walking to school, I never really waited for Julie, because she always caught up or came out just in time. This time, however, Julie waited for me.

"Hey."

Julie beamed when she saw me.

All I could offer was a tight lipped smile. "Hey."

I began walking a moment later and she followed close beside me, frowning. We went on like this for a while until she broke the silence. Half of me was glad while the other wanted it to stay the way it was.

"You didn't like it?"

She did not have to explain what she meant.

"Yes."

Her face turned from hopeful to devastated and I realized my word error.

"I mean, no, but like yes as in..." I gave her a sideways glance. "Yes I did... like it."

Julie bit her lip as if it would suppress her smile. Probably one of the cutest expressions I'd ever seen.

"So, um." She looked up at me, blushing. "What are we?"

Smiling, I decided to take the safe route. "Anything you want us to be."

Julie thought for a moment as the school building started getting closer and closer. "How about... girlfriends?"

My eyebrows raised. "I don't have to take you out on some fancy dinners first?"

"Nope." Julie took her hand from the strap of her backpack to hold my mine. "let's just have the times you took me out for ice cream count."

I blushed and smiled. "Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad."

Okay, maybe James wasn't wrong. This isn't that bad, but I'm not going to tell him that though, because then he'd know that he was right.

"You like it?"

"I like it."

__________

We didn't act much differently at school, mostly because Julie always held my hand and stuck to me like glue. It just felt different now. A good different.

Alice stopped glaring at me now too, she's just been talking to that girl from the party while giving me a friendly smile when she saw me. It was a weird but good change.

I would say that life is going pretty damn well but I don't want to jinx myself. Oh, wait, no, I think I just did.

Then came lunch where Gabby and only Gabby came up to the table, hardly giving Dylan a glance even though he wore one of his "charming" smiles.

"Hey." She smiled at both Julie and I, but her gaze ultimately stayed on me. "Just wanted to say sorry for, y'know, letting Julie drink at the party."

I nodded, my lips twitching a smile. It was weird trying to be friendly with someone I hardly knew. "It's fine."

I felt Julie pat my hand as if it were her silent way of saying, "good job." A for great effort.

"Okay, that's good." Gabby smiled again, this time looking more shy than the last one, then looked at Julie. "See you later, then, I guess." She glanced at me so quick I almost didn't notice. "Bye guys."

With that, she was gone, heading back to her table of friends.

Dylan whistled. "And you say you don't have that bad girl charm."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't have any type of charm."

"Girl was clearly enamored by that hidden heart of gold."

Julie seemed to tense up a bit, so I made sure to take the initiative to hold her hand. I didn't know what else to do, but it seemed to work. I'm a very kind person.

"But don't you two worry," he said, looking between us, a teasing glint in his eye. "You guys are my favorite pairing."

"So." Dylan decided to change the topic. "How was that party? Good? Bad? Decent?"

Julie squeezed my hand seemingly out of her excitement as she perked up. "It was really fun."

"Probably 'cause you were buzzed," I said, just as Dylan's words from that night popped up in my head. "By the way, you promised me something if Julie got to any alcohol, right?"

Dylan shook his head. "No, that doesn't count. I was clearly talking about the eggnog I made for her."

"Psh, you're just being a wimp."

"No, I worry for you." He smirked. "If anything, your fragile hand will probably break upon impact." He patted his upper arm, visibly flexing as much as possible. "Super tough y'know."

I rolled my eyes. "Says Alice's bitch."

Julie gave me a look. "That's mean Gen."

And here I thought it was okay to be an ass to Dylan.

"Never complained about it before. Remember, I called him a housewife and you didn't care."

She shrugged and looked back down at the tray in front of her. "I realize now that it's not right and Dylan can't be your free pass to be mean."

Dylan smiled, obviously in support of Julie. I could not stand for this.

"Nice?" I made the most disgusted face possible as I gave a sideways look towards Dylan. "To him?"

Julie smiled. "Mm-hm."

Dylan asked my next question for me. "What will you do if she won't be nice?"

Julie glanced at me. "She'll see."

Dylan's eyebrows rose up on his face. "Oh-ho, watch out Gen, I sense that Julie's got somethin' up her sleeve."

"She doesn't," I said. "Just bluffing."

"Don't be too sure." Dylan looked at Julie, narrowing his eyes as he pretended to be all suspicious. "I have a feeling that there's a different side to her." He looked at me, making his voice low and dramatic as he spoke. "...A darker side."

"You think so?" I turned to Julie, putting on my best interrogation face. "Julie, do you like BDSM?"

I expected a blush, or some sputtering, but instead I got a clueless look while Dylan was trying to stifle a laugh. A part of me probably should have expected this. This was supposed to be common knowledge.

"What's BDSM?"

I swallowed, smiled, and looked away. "You don't need to know."

I hope she knows babies don't come from storks.

_____

A/N: Been a while huh? I know, I know, too long. I'm sorry, again. Whoopsie.

Just a heads up, there'll probably be another long wait between this and the next chapter, like, a 90 percent chance.

Anyways, hi, thanks for still reading, and here's a smiley face :)

And a great pick-up line that totally has a 100 percent success rate: Do you live in a corn field? 'Cause I'm stalking you.

It will definitely work, promise.