Julie's Smart Too

I've never really had a friend so close that they had their own clothes in my closet until I met Julie. She visited and stayed over at my house so much that she basically lived there. So, I had a lot of her clothes in my closet.

But, I wasn't at her house enough to have the same.

So this is how I ended up wearing Julie's minion shirt, the one with Bob on it. She wanted a sleepover and it's really hard for me to deny her that.

"Don't you have a cooler shirt than this?" I asked, pulling at the fabric. "I feel silly."

"That's my largest shirt."

"You're calling me fat," I accused, jokingly.

"You're just tall."

"You're just short."

Julie pouted. "I'm offended."

I smiled as I headed for the door. "Good."

She suddenly snapped up in her bed. "Where are you going?"

"TV."

Julie hopped off the bed to follow. "Well don't go without me."

Instead of using the furniture, I sat in the middle of the floor to be closer to the television. Fuck being a safe distance. I searched around on the TV and found Netflix. Hoping I was lucky, I pressed 'ok' and waited.

Julie had an account this whole time.

"When did you get Netflix?"

Julie sat down beside me. "I don't know."

I think that means that she had it for a while.

"What do you want to watch?"

"Moana?"

"No, that's lame."

"It's my Netflix."

"We're watching The Do-Over."

Julie didn't protest much and only stuck her tongue at me then sulked.

An hour in and Julie, unsurprisingly, started to like the movie and looking everywhere but the screen at the inappropriate parts, of course.

We ended up watching two more movies and made a couple bags of popcorn after that, one of the movies was Moana because Julie really wanted to watch it. Clearly, I can't say no to her for too long.

Then halfway into the third movie and the front door opened. Cindy's head popped into the room, her expression when she saw us was not surprised. In fact, she looked like she was waiting for this to happen.

She smiled. "Staying over?"

Julie answered for me. "Yes she is!"

She nodded as she headed to the kitchen. "It might be kind of late for food, but would you two like anything to eat?"

Unlike Julie, I don't take every chance that I get to eat food. "No thanks," I said, smiling.

"Julie?"

Julie gestured towards the big bowl filled with a little bit of popcorn seeds. "I've eaten already."

"Okay." Cindy sighed, giving us a tired smile and headed for the hallway. "Have fun, just don't be too loud."

"Aye aye, mom."

I later got a text from James, one where he said that he should be thanked for his brilliant plan and that I couldn't come home until the next morning. It wasn't even that brilliant. I mean, he could have just told me instead of creating a situation where spending the whole day with Julie was a must. I would've done it without any force. I totally would've.

After the movie, Julie decided to talk sleeping arrangements.

The last time I stayed over we ended up falling asleep in the fort, with Julie spooning me. I never want to be the little spoon again. The usual bad ass Genevieve Rogers would never be the little spoon.

Julie suggested that we share her bed, since she had nothing else to accommodate me except the couch that isn't worthy to substitute a bed. Not like my wonderful couch that folds out to become a bed. It's a pretty amazing couch, I know.

"Please. I promise no hugging."

I shook my head. "You naturally hug things when you sleep," I said. "That's why I give you an extra pillow at my house, either that or you try hugging the air."

"I do not," Julie said, defensively.

I smiled. "You do."

"Do I?"

I nodded. "Yes, you do."

Julie bit the inside of her cheek, then suddenly, her eyebrows raised and I could almost hear the ding of an idea popping into her head. "Well, cuddling is a great way to increase closeness between friends."

The way she said it made it sound like she pulled it straight from her mind and not like she researched it.

"Google it."

Julie made a face but snatched her phone off the bed anyway. "Fine."

She quickly typed something and waited, tapped the screen a few times, scrolling, until she finally stopped. She looked surprised herself when she showed the page.

"Okay, so what?"

"Don't you want to be closer?" Julie pouted, jutting out her bottom lip.

"We're close already, plus, cuddling is for relationships," I said.

"But..." Julie looked at the floor, thinking.

She was so deep in thought that if her eyebrows came any closer to one another it might become a monobrow. That would look hilarious on her.

And so, after minutes of deep thinking, we made a compromise.

We slept with our backs to each other and Julie held onto a stuffed animal. She reasoned that there was no possible way she'd end up hugging me, because she was faced away and already hugging the stuffed animal.

"You really think this is the way to go?" I asked.

"Of course, it's a foolproof plan."

"Jules, I don't even know if you can make one."

I could imagine Julie's scrunched up face by her tone. "I'm smart too, Gen. I'm smart too."

I snorted. "If you say so."

"It'll work."

I really doubted that.

_____

A/N: Woot! Woot! New chapter, finally!

The chapter isn't great — but, A for effort.

Yes, I know it's almost been like, a month. Clearly, I have some writer's block. I would come back to this chapter everyday, read over it, then not know what to write so I leave the page. Then I do that over and over until magically, some idea pops into my head. The last part doesn't happen a lot.

Y'know, sometimes I think that I should really fix the early, early chapters of this story but then I get lazy and I just don't want to look back at it. I mean, it was kinda yuck, and so is this to a degree. When I'm older I'll look back at the whole thing and think yuck.

That's pretty normal ain't it?

And for those still hanging on to this story for some reason, y'all are troopers!

Anyway, thanks for reading! :)