Dylan's Self-Sufficient

We arrived a little early so we were one of the first to be there. Slightly modified christmas music played and the room was lit up partially by christmas lights. I was glad when I didn't see Alice but I knew I'd see her some time today as it was her house. Dylan was in the kitchen, mixing something and pouring it in cups.

He turned with a smile, holding a cup in one hand. "Eggnog?"

I knew Julie would probably accept so I quickly spoke before she could. "What's in it?"

"Okay, so not safe for kids," Dylan joked, laughing as he put the cup on the counter. He reached into the fridge and pulled out another thing of eggnog, similar looking to the one he was making. "This one made specially for Julie, alcohol free."

I narrowed my eyes in a glare and for the first time he made some sort of reaction. "Okay, really, it's safe. If Julie gets even buzzed I'll allow you to beat the crap out of me in front of everyone." He traced a cross over the left side of his chest. "Cross my heart."

When Julie tried it, her eyes widened. "Wow, this is actually good."

I grinned. "You'd make a great housewife Dylan. Did you make Christmas cookies too?"

That last part was a joke and the fact that he actually made cookies too made it funnier. He opened took out a container of neatly arranged cookies and the oven to show more. I'm pretty sure Dylan was now Alice's bitch.

"I'm not a housewife, I'm just self-sufficient."

Who knew, super buff dude Dylan bakes cookies and makes eggnog. I wonder if he makes Alice dinner every night, the thought made me laugh.

"Hey, so where's Alice?"

Dylan took a sip of the most recently made eggnog, his lips curling a bit in a small smile. "She's upstairs, locking doors and all." His gaze moved between Julie and I with this knowing smirk on his face. "She's leaving the guest room open, so if you two wa..."

The look I gave silenced him.

Julie was too busy looking around the living room to notice. The house was just about the same as I remember it being, with the lights and Christmas decorations being the exception.

I remember asking Dylan why this wasn't on Christmas day and he explained that he wanted people to be able to go while also being able to spend time with family the next day.

"Oh yeah!" Dylan pointed towards a cooler. "There's soda in here if you guys want it." He then gestured to the bowl of punch. "That's spiked." Then he looked to the red cups. "Just know, these cups will probably always have alcohol in it."

I nodded, half paying attention to him and also looking at the door as I heard noises from outside. Car doors slammed shut and people were talking. There was a knock.

"Door's open!" Dylan shouted as he left the kitchen, spiked eggnog in hand. "Hey."

Familiar faces started spilling through the door, most of which I never spoke to but have seen. All of which seemed surprised to see me here. I think I also spotted Alice but actively avoided looking at her.

As it got a bit more crowded I made it my job to stand near Julie at all times and pretty soon people started greeting her, as expected. Everyone liked Julie.

"Julie," one girl said, rushing up, waving and all. "I didn't know you'd come! If I knew, could have gone with u — "

She and the few others beside her finally noticed me and my probably dark presence. They went silent, like I would attack if they made any sudden movements. Julie's smile may as well have saved them.

"Hi!" Julie turned to me, her hand finding my own without a thought. "Genevieve, this is Gabby."

She squeezed my hand as if to tell me to be nice. If it was for Julie, I would do it.

I turned my bored gaze to said girl who looked everywhere but me, and said something I never thought I would to anyone. "Hey."

There was no sense of kindness from my tone, but it was step up from my usual self. I call it progress. It surprised me and the girl and her friends. Confidence regained, she smiled and gave a shy wave.

Julie proceeded to introduce me to the others who still haven't spoken. One was Keisha, another Carla, and lastly Vicky. I nodded but decided not to say anything else as Julie easily fell into conversation with them. I don't know how she was so good at this.

Even before I was feared by all, I wasn't that good at socializing, that was Alice's job. I mean, I wasn't totally shit, I like to think I was once decent at it.

The only parts I really heard were about me, because my name was spoken of course. I mean, those were actually the only parts I heard. It was too noisy to really hear anything clear and I could only make out snippets of the conversation. "Genevieve... nice... like... scary..."

I couldn't hear how they used those words but it was weird hearing the first two around my name. Every so often I'm pretty sure Gabby would glance at me. They were quick, shy glances and it freaked me out because of the feeling I got from it was not one you'd get from a potential friend. I refused to believe what Dylan said about me having some attractive bad girl vibe.

Gabby was just a weird exception, an outlier.

Soon they left and Gabby made sure to give me one last lingering look before walking away.

Julie held my upper arm, smiling. "They think you're nice."

I frowned. "Look at what you've made me do. I've just ruined my reputation."

Now everyone will know I'm capable of greeting someone without causing them pain.

"For the better," she said, hooking her arm around my own. She led us away from the less crowded corner and back to the kitchen where Dylan, the only other person I can kind of consider a friend, stood.

_____

A/N: Guys, look how early this is, wowzers. I was fueled by my boredom when sitting in a car while waiting for my mom to be done with her work stuff.

I mean, I would follow her inside a nice, air-conditioned building... but people y'know? I'm just too unwilling to have to interact with them.

Anyway, thanks for reading and let's hope I don't take a whole month for the next chapter. Here's a smiley face :)