Chapter One

"The strongest drug that exists for a human being is another human being."

● ● ●

01.
RED CARPETS & STRANGERS

FOR THE SAKE of my best friend, I agreed to go to the party she was invited to. Actually, her family was. But she wanted me to go too because she didn't want to be bored to death at another one of business parties where people from elite class only showed off and boasted about their latest accomplishments.

If I had to go alone to such parties, I'd probably have left the party even before it started. It just wasn't my scene. And it's not like I was invited to such parties, anyway.

Right now, I was adjusting the red silk dress which clung to my body gracefully. But the plunging neckline was another case. It showed way too much cleavage. And I wasn't a fan of this much flashing. Not that I was fan of flashing anything at all. It was much too revealing. Those were my thoughts though. My best friend had other opinions, apparently.

"Eun Hee, stop it. Your dress looks fine. And it's not showing cleavage at all," said my overly enthusiastic best friend, Sana.

I gave her a look that said are you kidding me?

"Okay. It is showing a bit of your upper chest. But not that much. So chill." Sana said, adjusting the strap of my dress on my shoulder.

"But I don't feel comfortable." I squirmed in my seat, an unpleasant expression on my face.

We were on our way to the building where the party was.

"Um... Last time I checked, you were okay with this kind of dresses. In fact, you chose it yourself. What made you change your mind?" Sana asked.

"I know I chose it myself. But I didn't know it'd make my boobs look huge," I said.

"Isn't that a good thing?"

After thinking for a minute, I said, "I guess so. These mosquito bites look okay for once. But still."

Sana rolled her eyes. She had that thinking expression on her face where her eyes had a far away look in them and she bit her upper lip. After a minute or so, she looked at me with a smile on her face which resembled the smile Archimedes must've in his Eureka moment.

"I have the perfect solution."

She started rummaging her purse while I looked at her with my brows creased in confusion. After a few seconds, she pulled out a silver necklace. It had a delicate butterfly made of white gold hanging from it.

"Wear this."

She placed it in my hand. I looked at it in awe and felt its cool surface with my fingers. I couldn't get my eyes off it. It looked precious.

"Wow. This is beautiful. Where did you get it?" I asked while putting on the necklace. Looking at myself in the rearview mirror, I was pleased with how I looked today.

"I found it when I was out for shopping today. It reminded me of you so I bought it. Also, I felt bad for dragging you with me to this party. I know how much you dislike them," Sana said, a content smile on her face. And then, she added, "It looks beautiful on you."