Chapter Two

"Everything about you is so addictive."

● ● ●

02.
SLOW DANCES & TALKS

THE FIRST THOUGHT that buzzed through my mind was how the hell did this handsome man think of dancing with me?. The second thought was I'm definitely going to embarrass myself. And lastly, there was this third, tiny thought whispering at the back of my mind you won't embarrass yourself. You'll be fine.

I nodded, with a smile on my face, and placed my hand in his warm one. He enclosed his hand around mine and led me towards the dance floor.

It was awkward at first. The way I placed my hands on his shoulders, while his arms enclosed around my waist, warming up at the skin at the place of contact. The close proximity wasn't helping either. I was in the company and embrace of an extremely good looking man, not to forget the way his eyes looked under the light from chandelier hanging above us.

We started swaying slowly to the gentle rhythm of the song. I looked everywhere except for his eyes. I could feel his gaze on me; piercing and demanding attention. And like I was being pulled by gravity, my eyes met his.

"Are you uncomfortable?"

Upon his question, I blushed pink shade of embarrassment. He had caught me trying to avoid looking at him. I shook my head and said, "No. I'm fine."

He hummed in response. And then, twirled me around, placing his hands firmly on my waist.

"I've never seen you before at any of the parties."

"Oh, yeah." I let out a nervous laugh. "I...don't come to these parties. My best friend made me come here today."

"You didn't want to. Right?"

"Right. This whole...business parties aren't my thing," I said, looking at the people around me whom I didn't belong with. It was just all too foreign for me.

"And what's your thing?" His voice was full of curiosity, his eyes gazing over my face, trying to figure me out.

"Visiting my father's flower shop and buying flowers for my brother."

"Your brother?"

"Yes. I have to visit him once in a week or two. Or I start missing him."

"Does he live far away?" I could sense confusion in his words.

"He's dead."

He flinched upon my words, a look of understanding on his face.

"I'm sorry." His words were true and vulnerable. I didn't want anyone's pity, but something in his voice was so broken and so sincere that I couldn't help but look into his eyes, trying to understand him. I knew that he understood.

"It's alright. Can... Can we talk about something else?"

Thankfully, he nodded. "Like?"

"Like you haven't told me your name yet."

He smirked at that.