Chapter Seventeen

"True love never dies. It only gets stronger with time."

● ● ●

17.
I HATE YOU

As soon as I heard the sounds of tires screeching against the road, I stood up from the sidewalk where I had spent the last fifteen minutes crying my eyes out. The only person I could think of at that time was here in a heartbeat, as soon as he heard me sobbing through the phone.

The car stopped in front of me. The door opened and out came Seo Woo. I didn't know why I had called him. I just did probably because he had become a good friend of mine over the past few weeks and he was the only person I could've called after Sana. I needed someone like him to pick me up from this hell.

As soon as his eyes fell upon my crying state, his eyes widened and he hurriedly ran around the car, stopping in front of me.

"Eun Hee. What happened? Are you alright?" His voice was laced with worry and care which only made me cry harder.

I shook my head.

"Shit," he cursed. "What happened? Did that asshole do something to you?"

His eyes were flashing with anger, hands clenched into fists.

I shook my head.

That's the thing. That asshole didn't do anything at all.

The lump in my throat didn't allow me to speak and even if I did speak, it'd only end up in me crying harder than before, as if the overflowing tears weren't enough already.

He grabbed my hands and pulled me into a warm embrace.

"Shh. It's alright. I'm here now," he murmured, patting me on the head lightly.

My head was resting on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat; slow and steady. It calmed me down a bit.

After a few moments, I had stopped sobbing uncontrollably and was now sniffling a little.

"I'm alright now." My voice was hoarse due to crying.

He leaned back a little, breaking his brotherly embrace, his hands still on my shoulder. I was looking down at my feet which seemed to have swollen due to heels and were hurting. When I looked up, I caught the sight of a very disheveled Jimin over Seo Woo's shoulder. He looked like he had been running.

His eyes landed on me and then moved to Seo Woo's hands on my shoulder. His jaw clenched, his eyes unreadable. When he met my gaze, I looked away. I didn't want to see him. I wanted to get out of this place. And never come back here. Ever.

"C-Can we go back?" I hiccuped. "I don't want to stay here any longer."

It hurt to speak.

Seo Woo looked at me for a moment longer, and nodded, opening the passenger door. He didn't notice Jimin standing behind the wrought iron gates. I was thankful that he didn't or else he would have started a fight here. And that was the last thing I needed right now.

I sat on the seat, buckling the seatbelt.

Seo Woo walked around he car and yanked open the door, slipping inside the car. Shutting the door, he put his hands on the steering wheel, and turned his head to look at me.