Chapter 3- The Morning After

(The cover on top is made by the amazing jlswrites. Check her out on Wattpad! ❤️)

My eyes flutter open and I glance at the clock only to find that it's 5:30 a.m. This gives me an hour to get ready before breakfast at 6:30. When I push myself up something restricts me and I look down to find Braiden's arm around my waist. Everything from last night comes flooding back to me; the dream, the screams, the tears.

Suddenly, I'm embarrassed and very self conscious. Discretely, I put my hand up to my mouth and check to make sure I don't have morning breath. To my surprise it's still minty which is very unusual.

"Braiden." I poke him with my finger. "Braiden, I have to get ready."

His arm tightens around me and he pulls me down next to him so my hands are on his chest, with my face inches from his.

"Five more minutes." He mumbles into my hair.

At that moment he must remember that he slept in my room last night because his eyes snap open and he shoves me off the bed. I land on the ground with a thud, being caught completely off guard.

"What the he-" my eyes land on Braiden's shirtless chest and I quickly look away.

"Well, I better- ah- bye." He stutters and walks out the door without another word.

Today in training is going to be all kinds of awkward. Snapping myself out of my thoughts I gather up my things and head to the shower. I let the hot water rush over me for longer than usual then get out and put on my jeans and black V-Neck. For some reason I want to look better than usual so I blow dry my hair and let it fall into its natural waves instead of my regular ponytail.

After giving myself one last look in the mirror I swing the door open only to come face to face with Michael.

"God Ryan, what took you so long?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

"Well, it takes time to look this good." I say with a wink before walking away.

"Sure it does." He replies and then shuts the door.

When I round the corner the sweet smell of waffles greets my nose, bringing a smile to my face. My eyes catch Braiden talking to Jackson in what seems like a very serious conversation. Quietly, I sneak forward staying in the shadows to eavesdrop on them.

"Can't I just go see her today." Braiden says in a hushed, but serious tone.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea. Who knows what could happen this time. Last time it was a close call." Jackson sternly replies.

Last time. What happened last time? I think to myself.

"Look, I don't mean to be rude, but we made a deal, sir. I will go see her today she needs me." Braiden's confirms and I hear Jackson sigh

"Fine, but you need to be careful." He responds and Braiden eagerly nods his head.

He starts to walk away right towards me. I spin around, trying to make a quick escape only to run right into a garbage can. Figures. We're working for a government agency and I get beat by the trash.

"Ryan? What the hell are you doing here."

"Well, this is where I live." I cockily reply even though I know what he meant.