Chapter 9- What Do I Wear?

Almost a whole week has passed and it's now Sunday night. I'm currently standing in my room with Braiden browsing through my new clothes trying to find something to wear. It's going pretty unsuccessfully so far. Everything Michael picked out looks so skanky and revealing.

"What about this?" Braiden suggests, holding up a pair of very little black shorts and a pink tank top.

"Did you really just say that?" I take the outfit out of his hands and throw it in disgust.

How do girls actually wear this stuff?!

"Jeez, sorry." He runs the back of his neck, which he always does when he's nervous. "This?"

My eyes land on the red skirt and gray tank. It's getting better but I need to ease into all this girl stuff. I shake my head no and he sighs.

"Okay, this is the last thing I'm suggesting." He states flatly, looking at the clothes as if they're an intricate puzzle he can't figure out.

Finally, his hands move to a pair of skinny jeans ripped all the way up to where the pockets end and a black crop top. Still pretty revealing, but at least the colors aren't all bright and annoying.

"I mean, it's better than anything else here." I huff, then grab the clothes from him and examine them closely. "I'm still not sure, what do you think?"

His face turns to one of confusion as he studies the outfit. As he's doing so my mind wanders off. Braiden's been really good lately. We've had the chance to talk more than usual which is awesome and I'm pretty sure I like him more than I should. I mean when he's standing here right now I can't help but stare at him.

When he's deep in thought his hand goes up to his chin and his eyebrows furrow. It looks incredibly-

"Ryan," he waves his hand in front of my face, "I said I like it, but you should try it on to be sure."

"But I don't wanna." I whine pouting my lip out.

"C'mon Ryan, it's not that bad. I just don't know if it's good girl enough, ya know? Now try it on." He demands pushing the clothes against me.

"Ugh, fine." I huff, but he still sits on the bed. "Um, I can't change with you in here." I deadpan and I see his cheeks turn slightly pink.

Did Braiden just blush because of me? No, I must be seeing things.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Tell me when you're done." He awkwardly replies then rushes out of my room.

Well that was weird. I sigh then slip out of my grey sweats and t-shirt, throwing them on the chair full of clothes. My eyes catch a glimpse of my body in the mirror and I immediately look away. The jagged scar on my stomach only brings back horrible memories I'll never forget.

Why do I have to look like this? Nobody wants a girl with scars or a past and I'm a fool to think Braiden ever will. We're just friends, sadly.

Choking back tears I pull the new bras out of the bag we bought. Even if no-ones going to see them I still want to look good for myself. I put on the black one with leaves then slip the crop top on. It just covers the scar and I sigh in relief. The jeans are a bit of a struggle to get on because they're skinny jeans and my feet get stuck in all of the holes when I put them on.

Finally the outfit is on and I look in the mirror. Surprisingly it doesn't look horrible.  I'm not saying it looks good by any means, but definitely better than usual. I drag my feet over to the door and swing it open only to find Braiden just about to knock.

"Well look who's finally done. It took you-" he pauses mid sentence and just stares at me.

I fidget feeling uncomfortable after he doesn't say anything for what feels like forever.