Other books - sneak peek;) The Way It Goes

Chapter 1

The accident happened a year ago today, on June 7, 2016 my father got in the crash. Today, the sun is shining and it glimmers off the dewy grass, not matching my mood whatsoever. I wake up as usual and stick to the routine, brush my knotted brown hair, pick out my clothes at the last minute, and wait for the phone call. The one telling me that my father has finally woken up, but deep down knowing that day may never come. Lost in my thoughts I barely hear the phone ring. When I rush to pick it up I hear my best friend Leah on the other end. "Lou, are you coming? I've been waiting for you for ten minutes now, we're going to miss the bus!" She says. As always, Leah's keeping me on track. She's the friend everyone sees as perfect. Perfect blonde hair, perfect family, perfect life. I'm the one people hardly see at all. Brown hair, brown eyes and nose usually buried in a book. It's okay though because we balance each other out. "Sorry, I'm on my way right now." I say, sticking a waffle in my mouth. I spot her at the bus stop talking to some guy, which isn't unusual for her. She's had plenty of dates and could have anyone she wants. I on the other hand, am 17 and have only ever gotten close to a first kiss. It ended up going haywire and I was left alone on the park bench. Boys. "Lou, hellooo!!! Are you in there?" Leah says tapping me in the forehead. "Oh sorry, what?" I reply, still thinking about how embarrassing that was. "I was asking if you made up your mind on whether or not your going to the dance?" Leah asked me in a pleading tone. "The dance? The one that's in three months? Why are you even thinking about that, it's so far away." I answer. "Because. We need to find you a date! Duh." Leah says, like it will be sooo easy. "Haha, you're funny. I doubt a guys going to want to go with me." I said. It's not necessarily because of my looks, it's just been hard for me after my dads accident and all, to open up to people. I've sort of shut out the world but I'm lucky to have Leah there for me. Again as I'm standing there thinking about all sorts of things, I hear a horn being honked and then I'm in someone's arms.

Chapter 2

Before I know it I'm looking at a guy, probably 6ft tall holding on to me. He has brown hair and blue eyes that look amazing in the sun. Not that I was paying attention, but he's definitely muscular and we'll leave it at that. "You okay there?" I realize he's talking to me. "Uh, yeah I'm fine, just didn't see that car coming." I reply. Wow that made me sound blind. How smooth am I, right? "Are you sure" he says, "do you need to sit down?" At that moment I realize I have tears in my eyes. It must have been because I was thinking about what happened to my dad. Crap. "No, really I'm fine. Thank you." I say, wiping the tears from my eyes. "I'm Will." He says with a slight smile. "Nice to meet you, I'm Lou." Right then I realize I'm still in his arms. My face turning bright red must make him realize too, because he lets me go. "Well, I should go. Thanks again, see you around." I tell him. "Yeah, no problem, I'll save your life anytime. See you around." He replies with a small grin. Then I'm getting pulled onto the bus by Leah.

Chapter 3

"Okay, spill. Who was that!" She says excitedly as she's hitting my arm. "What do you mean?" I reply playing dumb. "That guy you were talking to. You know, the one who totally liked you?" Leah answers like it was extremely obvious, not. "Oh my gosh Leah! He did not and he just pulled me out of the way from a car." I say getting slightly annoyed with all her questions. "You say that like it's no big deal. That could have gone really badly, but it's also super romantic!" Leah responds showing the concern in her voice. "Ok, lets change the subject." I tell her, hoping she will understand. "Ok," she says, "how's your dad doing?" "Never mind. How about we just don't talk for awhile?" I ask. That's the thing about Leah. She understands that I sometimes just want to think, which is one of the reasons we're such good friends. For the rest of the bus ride we're silent. Leah texts away and I think about Will. After going to my locker and getting my stuff, I head to my AP History class. There sitting right behind my spot is, you guessed it, Will. Aren't I so lucky? Not. Out of all the people. Awkwardly I take my seat and don't say a word. Class starts and the teacher lectures us on the Civil War, which I already know all about. So as usual I zone out. When I'm thinking about my dad, a small piece of paper appears on my desk. I open it up. -Hi Lou- I turn around to find Will grinning. He remembered my name? I write back, -Hi Will-. Then toss the note back. A couple seconds later it reappears. -Is this boring or what?- He writes. -Ya think? So you're new?- I reply and toss the note back. The note comes back again.
-Yup- He responds. Ok then. Pretty blunt answer. That's the end of note writing for me. The bell rings and I hurry out of class embarrassed. Before anyone talks to me I rush to the bathroom. Just another day in Paradise.