Chapter 26- The Story

Hi Everyone!!! How are you all doing? Anything interesting going on with you guys? Any questions about the book so far or about me? I'd love to hear them! Thank you all for the reads, votes and comments, they mean soooo much! I really hope you like this chapter, and the things between Braiden and Ryan. Stuff is heating up!!!🔥 I'll be posting tomorrow, so stay tuned! Have a great week you guys, love you all!!!❤️❤️❤️

Hearing Braiden's voice break at the sight of his mother strikes a nerve inside of me. The woman I seen a couple of weeks ago is nothing compared to the one in front of me now. She looks tortured and abused, but not from drugs, from people.

The banging on the door continues to get louder, but the desk keeps it in firmly closed. It isn't until gun shots start ringing out that I know we have to move.

"Braiden, we have to go." My voice is strained with urgency as I longingly look out the window.

"Please son, you can't leave me here!" His mom pleads, begging with her eyes that are green like his.

Almost as if torn on what he should do, Braiden ponders the thought for a moment. It's either we get out safely without her, or risk getting hurt by taking his mom with us.

My mind flashes back to the same look my mom had in her eyes, and I immediately reach down to pick her up into my arms. Her frail body weighs maybe ninety pounds, so it's almost effortless to carry her.

"Let's go. We can't leave her here, now hurry up, the van is just below the window." I say sternly, walking towards the way out.

Braiden scoops his mother out of my arms and guides Mike and I to safety. Denying my protests for them to go first, Mike and Braiden force me out the window which is roughly ten feet high. I hang from the sill and drop as quickly as I can, bending my knees at the impact, but collapse almost immediately from the shooting pain that rushes through my leg. Having a stab wound complicates everything. Doing my best to keep going, I get up and rush to the car.

Jamming the keys in the ignition, the engine responds by roaring to life. Mike appears outside of the window next and Braiden gently lowers his mom into his arms. Braiden follows both of them not shortly after and they're all rushing to the van at once.

Once everyone's inside, I press the gas pedal down quickly and the car lurches onto the road away from the drug house behind us.

The car is silent, except for the small whimpers coming from Braiden's mom or Mrs. Winters, in the background.

"I-I'm s-sorry." She stutters softly, and I almost feel sympathy until I remember everything she did to her own son.

Braiden's eyes turn cold as soon as she utters the words.

"Sorry? That's all you have to say for yourself? Sorry doesn't cut it mom, not anymore." He whips around in the passenger seat and faces the front once again.

Mrs. Winters head drops in shame as she hears his words. The rest of the ride back is awkward, between the tension going on with Braiden and his mom, and the anxiousness of everyone in the car. All of us want to bring up the things we saw, but it's against the rules to talk about missions in front of non members.

Once we arrive back in front of the gray compound building, I put the van in park and wait for someone to say something.

"How long are we going to sit here?" Braiden snaps, looking me in the eyes.

"I don't know, you can leave ya know." I respond, slightly annoyed at the way he yelled at me.

It looks as if he's about to respond, but luckily Mike steps in.