Chapter 23- Tradgedy Strikes

I climb the silver, metal steps as fast as I can with Michael following not far behind. The door is slightly open and I can see the outline of Braiden's broad figure looking over the horizon.

"Hey Mike, how about you wait here so that he isn't afraid to open up about anything." I explain, but Michael only flashes me a confused look in return.

"Um, okay. But you owe me a big explanation after this."

I send him an eye roll then slip through the door walking over to Braiden. He doesn't even glance my way, just continues to stare out into nowhere with balled fists and a clenched jaw. Since I'm not really sure what to say, I decide to give him some time to tell me what's going on.

"The house Jackson wants you to go to, that's the one my mother lives in."

My eyes bulge out of my head when I remember the house I went to not long ago that I followed Braiden to.

"Oh my god. Braiden I-I had no idea." I stutter in a sympathetic tone bringing my hand up to my mouth.

"Yeah well, Jackson did. I swear he's out to make my life even more miserable."

I no longer want to go to the house Jackson sent us to. What happens if we end up hurting his mom? It's a drug house which seems like a job for the police to tackle anyways. The L.U.X only goes after people working for The Underground, which is basically people working against the government or causing trouble for them.

"We don't have to go. Don't worry, I'm sure we can work it out with Jackson." Braiden's frown only deepens when I suggest the idea.

"That's the thing, if we don't go then Jackson will and who knows what he'll do to her." His teeth grind together in anger and sadness.

"Why is your mother there?" I ask, hoping that I'm not pushing him into telling me things he doesn't want to.

He takes a deep breath, and for a minute I'm afraid he's about to blow up at any second. Awe strikes me when he does the complete opposite, calmly telling his story.

"That's where she's always been. My mom's always been addicted to drugs and men. She never expected to have a kid, until one time and accident happened and here I am.' His jaw tightens up again, almost like he won't be able to make it through the rest of his story.

"Braiden, you don't have-" I start, but he interrupts me.

"A story for a story, right?" His striking green eyes meet mine with a look that I know means he's set with his decision.

Reluctantly I nod my head even though I'm not sure I want to hear what he has to say. He clears his throat then begins.

"I grew up watching her take drugs, injecting, snorting, smoking, all of it. There was a time when I was eight that she gave it up for a year. That was the best year of my life and the reason I keep fighting for her. Without the drugs she's an amazing person." A small smile forms on his lips as he reminisces over the memories, but it falls not long after.

"A year later a new guy came into her life, got her hooked again and I was left in the dust. I stayed away for as long as I could, taking their punches, beatings, and constant abuse. When I turned thirteen they started trying to force me into taking drugs," my breath hitches in my throat at his words, "that's when the L.U.X stepped in and got me out."

Braiden's green eyes are now heavy with sorrow, his proud stance slouched, eyebrows furrowed, and lips turned to a frown. It's amazing how much you really don't know about a person until they fully let you in. All I want to do is take some of the weight off of his shoulders, but in reality the best thing I can do is be there for him when he needs me.

"Braiden, I'm so sorry." I wrap my arms around his torso, putting every ounce of love into the embrace I can give him.

He buries his head in my hair and pulls me tightly against his chest. Sparks shoot through my body everywhere, but I ignore them and focus on bringing him comfort.

Slowly, his arms unwrap from around my waist leaving me longing for his touch again. Instead of pulling away completely, his fingers lightly graze my chin tilting it up to meet his eyes.

"Thank you, Ry. Sometimes all I need is to talk and you always know what to say." The sincerity shining in his eyes makes me want to hold this boy in my arms forever, which sadly can't be done.

"Braiden I'll be here anytime you need me, you're such a strong person you have no idea and I'm lucky to know you."

Before I can say anything else his lips are on mine, slowly moving together in sync. My body melts into his, causing me to entwine my hands behind his neck for support. I'll never get tired of the softness of his lips, the way his arms protectively wrap around me, claiming me as his, his woodsy cologne that wraps me up like a blanket, and the way his body fits perfectly against mine, that I crave for once it's gone. I crave everything about Braiden Winters, along with the fact that I'm falling in love with him.

Braiden Winters POV~ Age 18

I didn't plan on telling her my story because I didn't want her pity. It wasn't until she asked the question and looked up at me with her hazel, doe eyes that I knew she had the right to know it.

After telling her about the hell that I call my past, I expect her to be afraid of me knowing that I've been near drugs and men like her father all my life. Instead, she does the opposite and wraps her arms around me, pulling me into the most sincere hugs I've ever received.

"Braiden I'll be here anytime you need me, you're such a strong person, but have no idea and I'm lucky to know you."

The way her arms coil around me sends electric jolts through my body and all I can focus on is how much love I have for the girl in my arms. As soon as those words leave her mouth I can't restrain myself any longer, so I press my lips against hers.

They're just as eager as mine as they keep the same pace, constantly staying in sync. Her hands wrap around my neck and she lightly tugs on the hair at the nape of my it, driving me insane. All I want to do is be close to her so I pull her body closer to mine, causing a small gasp to leave her mouth. Kissing Ryan is better than doing anything else with any other girl I've been with before. I swear that when I'm with her time stops and it's just us in our own world.

A faint high pitched noise rings out in my ears, causing me to hesitantly pull away only to find Michael standing there grinning like an idiot.

"Get a room you two, jeez!" He cups his hands around his mouth, yelling to us.

Ryan's face turns a deep shade of red as she buries her head in my shoulder from embarrassment.

"Oh my God. He just seen all of that." She groans, causing a small smile to form on my face replacing the frown.

Anything she does makes my heart pound ten times faster and my mood increase.

"Hey, it's okay. Let him see how cute we are together."I wiggle my eyebrows at her and a small giggle escapes her lips.

Damn, I'll never get tired of that sound. Wow, I'm really starting to sound like a girl.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do Ry." Michael yells the nickname I gave her.

The small ball of jealousy stirs in my chest, tightening like a Boa Constricter around its prey. Calm down Braiden, he's her best friend and that's all he'll ever be.

I force a smile on my face as he grabs her hand and drags her out the door on the roof. She shoots me an apologetic look, but I nod my head for her to go with him.

Watching her walk away sends my mind spiraling. The girl who I've wanted to call mine for years, finally is.