Chapter 4- The Assignment

(Cover above made by madelinecrisson who did a wonderful job! Thank you!❤️)

After getting ready and eating leftovers from breakfast I head down to the training room. Today is designated to building our strength and endurance so we focus on lifting weights and running.

"Hey Ryan!" Michael chirps, meeting me at the door.

"Hey Mike." I respond lamely. I'm still worn out from this morning.

"What's the matter Ry?" He asks me, his tone changing from playful to serious.

"Huh," I sigh, "nothing, just tired is all. Maybe you can cheer me up?"

"You know I can cheer you up." He responds, elbowing me in the shoulder. "Are you ready for some of the cheesiest jokes ever?"

"Fire away." I huff back.

"Okay, here goes. What's red and bad for your teeth?"

I shrug my shoulders in response waiting for him to give me the answer.

"A brick!" He exclaims and a small grin makes its way onto my face.

"Okay, I'll admit it that was kind of funny, but I'm still not fully cheered up." I respond wanting him to continue.

"Alright, Alright, this one is definitely going to make you laugh." He responds then continues, "why did Sally fall off the swing?"

"I don't know; why?" I roll my eyes at him.

"She had no arms! Okay, okay, here comes the good part. Knock knock."

"Who's there?" I sigh and he proceeds.

"Not Sally!" He bursts out laughing which ends up making me laugh.

It's not so much the joke that makes me happy, but him. Michael's laugh is hilarious. It starts out really quiet but then gets louder and louder until he's cackling like a hyena mixed with a dying walrus.

When my laughter finally subsides I look up to find Braiden glaring at me. Jeez, what did I do? The music starts playing Crying in the Club by Camilla Cabello and I start running laps. I actually don't mind running if there's music while I'm doing it or if I just had lots of candy.

Braiden's just a couple of strides ahead of me so I run to catch up with him. Ever since this morning he hasn't even acknowledged me, unless you count the scowl he gave me earlier. This boy has mood swings like you wouldn't believe!

Finally, I'm in step with him and I make sure to stay just a little bit ahead. A grin makes its way onto my face when he runs forward to match my pace. I start running as fast as I can and he follows. It's like we made a silent competition which is another I love about Braiden, he practically reads my mind. That and the fact that he has perfectly chiseled features, has beautiful eyes, and a six pack. Swoon.

Something hard stops me in my tracks and I'm caught right before I hit the ground. Yup, I slammed directly into Braiden because all my stupid brain does is think about him.

"Ryan, what the hell! Watch where you're going." He growls then immediately lets me go, stalking off.

I swear he thinks I'm the plague or something and is afraid to touch me.

"Maybe you should stay out of my way." I mumble and he spins around.

"Oh trust me, I try, but it seems like you're always getting into trouble and I have to save you're ass." He shouts and now I'm fuming.

Why is he acting like this all of a sudden? I mean, first I'm beautiful then I'm the last person he wants to see.

"Fine. Then I'll just keep my distance from now on!" I yell back, balling my fists at my side trying to hide the hurt in my voice.