Chapter 30 - Family?

Hey guys and gals! How's everyone doing lately? I'm feeling a lot better, so I really hope you like this update. Does anyone have any questions about the book or me so far? If you do, put it in the comments! I also want to thank you all sooo much for all the votes, reads, and comments lately, it means more to me than you can imagine. I'll be posting next weekend some time. Love you guys!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Granddaughter, granddaughter, granddaughter! The only word that is constantly running through my mind as soon as I hear her speak.

How can this be possible? My dad told me my grandma died before I was born, then again he'd lie about anything to prevent people from knowing about me. I still have family left! A piece of my mom is standing directly in front of me, and the resemblance is slightly scary. Her Hazel eyes are bright like my mom's were, and she has the same high cheekbones and warm smile.

A warm, soft hand slips over my own and I meet my grandmas eyes.

"Darling, don't cry." She says, swiping away a tear I didn't know fell. "It's alright, I'm here now."

"Oh, I'm sorry, they're happy tears. I...I thought I had no family left that's all, so this is a huge surprise." I manage to choke out, holding back the waterfall behind my eyes.

Lydia looks at me with confusion, but I can't figure out why.

"What do you mean? You have your mother and father - if I should even call him that. I've never liked him." She scowls and a realization hits me.

She doesn't know her daughters dead. No-one does, my father did a pretty good job at covering up his tracks. What am I supposed to say to her? If I tell her she's dead, then that brings up questions, if I tell her she's alive, she'll want to meet up with her.

"Oh... I.... um, we don't talk anymore." I try to explain, but her eyes show that she knows I'm not fully telling the truth.

I look back at Braiden with pleading eyes for help on what to do. They're filled with sorrow and he curtly nods his head at me, meaning it's okay to tell her if I want to.

"Ryan, honey, I'm your grandma, you can tell me." Something tells me she already knows.

"S-she passed away a little over two years ago." Immediately, tears spring to Lydia's old eyes, and they seem to dull as the words leave my mouth.

Tears start rolling down my cheeks as the memories come flooding back. The worst part of everything was her eyes. They were so full of pain, fear, desperation, panic, everything and I did nothing. Now she's gone and I don't even know where she's buried. I'm a horrible daughter.

The only emotion I can make out on Lydias face is pure sadness. Tears are rolling down her wrinkly cheeks, and she stands staring out the window.

"Lydia?" I sniffle, drawing her attention to me. "Are you alright?"

It takes her a moment to respond, but sooner than later she nods her head.

"Yes. I'll be okay, in the back of my mind I think I always knew. I have an idea of how it happened, but that's for another day." She explains, wiping the salty tears off her face.

"Were you close with her?" I ask, calmer this time when I feel Braiden's arm snake around my waist.

He places a gentle kiss on the back of my neck causing me to lean back into him. His arms are like a protective cage around me and I immediately feel my body relax.

"Aww." I small squeak comes from the corner where Alice is sitting with a gigantic smile on her face.

Everyone turns to look at her, well glares, and her face turns beet red.