Inhibitor

Once Fitz had gotten the scans, he knew exactly what he needed to do to help his friend. Spyen was looking at the images on the computer monitor and would occasionally point at a section of her brain and ask a question.

"Wait, so how much did you say that I use?"

Fitz looked up from his work for a moment before answering, "From what I can tell, and I would probably have Simmons give a second opinion, but it looks like you use fifty-five percent of your brain at any given time. That's why you had difficulty sleeping."

"Where is Jemma?"
Fitz kept to his work. "Don't know."

Spyen narrowed her eyes at Fitz before speaking, "Why?"

Fitz looked up, "Huh? What?"

"Why do you say that about Jemma?"

He quickly shook his head, "I-I-I didn't say anything." He dropped his hands and looked up at her, "Jemma...She's...just curious and it's annoying."

Spyen leaned back on the chair, "Tell me how you really feel." Her tone went up in sarcasm.

Fitz went back to work, "It's...complicated. She want to study both of you and I don't think it's right."

Spyen shook her head, "We all what to know what happened to us and I don't blame her for that. But I do get your point. Her approach is rough. But her tenacity is nice for when we want answers."

Fitz gave a shrug, "I guess."

Spyen looked back at her scans on the computer screen until she flicked her head towards the door.

"Jemma." The scientist looked over with a smile, "Hey, come here. I want your opinion on something."

Jemma walked over to Spyen, "I would be happy to help."

Spyen pointed to the monitor, "Look at these scans. They're mine. I wanted to know what you think of them. Fitz thinks that I use about fifty-five percent of my brain at any given time, but he wanted a second opinion."

Jemma's eyes went wide as she looked at the scans, "These are extraordinary. The way that your brain has altered their neurological pattern is exquisite."

Jemma was marveling in the scans and Spyen had to direct her towards the right path, "Percentage, Jemma."
"Ah, yes, right. Well it looks to me that because of the re-wiring of your neurons, you could have the capacity to reach up to ninety percent function. But fifty-five percent is correct."

Spyen looked up at Jemma, "I can use ninety percent of my brain?"

Jemma nodded, "Perhaps. Although, we don't know the entirety of the brain, so I can't tell you for certain."

Spyen suddenly got nervous, "That's a terrifying thought."

"Don't think about it." Spyen looked over at Fitz, "If you think about it you will just worry."

Jemma looked over to Fitz, "What is that your working on?"

Fitz kept working, "It's the Neural Inhibitor I was telling you about."

Spyen could feel the tension between the two of them and let out a long breath, "Well, you two are making me squirm."

"Then come here and give me your wrist."

Spyen furrowed her brows but walked over to Fitz and extended her dominant hand. Fitz snapped together the frame of the device and wrapped it around Spyen's left wrist.

He clasped it and it fit snugly, "How does it feel?"

Spyen looked down at it, "Uh, kind of tight."

Fitz nodded, "Good."

"I don't feel anything, though."

"That's because I haven't turned it on yet." Fitz pressed a small button on the side of the black band and Spyen suddenly felt an electrical charge rush up her body.

She pulled in a gasp, "Whoa."

Fitz looked up at Spyen's pulsing red eyes, "Are you okay?"

She furrowed her brows, "It almost feels like static electricity. But in a good way."

"How is your head?"

Spyen blinked a few times. Her mind was silent, but she was able to control what came in and went out with spectacular ease. She felt a small block form in her mind and she let out a relieved breath, "It's quiet. It doesn't hurt."

Fitz looked down at the device and read what was on the small screen, "You're temperature looks like it is going down. How does the energy feel?"

Spyen looked down at her hands, "It doesn't feel like it is building up." She looked up at Fitz with a smile, "Fitz, you did it!"

Spyen suddenly threw herself forward and wrapped her arms around Fitz's body in a hug. "Thank you, Fitz."

Fitz accepted the hug, "N-no problem."

Spyen pulled away and looked around the lab. She had been so used to the flooding of thoughts and emotions inside of her mind, but she was able to push the unimportant out of her way and let in the more urgent thoughts.

"Uh, let's check the frequency." Fitz tapped at his tablet, "O-okay. Seems to be working."

Spyen looked down at the tablet, "I have my own frequency. I don't know if that is cool or weird."

Before Fitz could answer, Spyen looked up at Coulson's thought. The Director walked into the lab and came up to the scientist and the agent.

"Spyen. Fitz."

Spyen's smile faded, "What's wrong?"

Coulson tightened his lips, "Can we talk alone?"

Spyen glanced at Fitz before she followed her Director into the hallway. Coulson looked down at her, "Since I won't be able to keep anything from you, I thought I'd just tell you. I am taking you and Skye off base to one of Fury's old retreats."

Spyen folded her arms, "I have a feeling that this isn't for leisure."

Coulson let out a breath, "Andrew thought that it would be a good idea to relive both of you from active SHIELD duty. He thinks you both are too unstable to work in the field."

Spyen wanted to be angry to the news, but she honestly knew that some extreme measure was going to happen, "Which retreat?"

Coulson let out his tension, "Wyoming retreat."

Spyen let out a nod, "Ah, okay. I'll, uh, go back a bag."

"Thank you. I am going to go tell Skye, but I can't tell her where we are going."

Spyen nodded, "I understand." Spyen stood in the center of the hallway as Coulson walked away from her. She glanced into the lab and saw Fitz and Simmons looking at the computer monitor together with intrigued expression. Spyen looked down at the Inhibitor on her wrist and watched the small heart pulsate in time with her own heart. Spyen had only had the Inhibitor on for a maximum of three minutes and she has already felt like a new person. Her pain was gone and she was able to control the energy building up inside of her, and it terrified her. She was terrified that she wouldn't ever be able to control her powers on her own and she would have to rely on the Inhibitor for the rest of her life.