{1}

Kai

. . .

"Remind me, why are we doing this?" I ask my father with a bored look, crossing my legs as I tug at the tie of my new uniform.

Straightening his newspaper, without looking at me, my father replies, "We are doing this, in order to raise less suspicion. The humans kept wondering why they weren't allowed into our school— Kept trying to buy in. Therefore, Alpha Leo and I have come to create an integrated school."

I roll my eyes, straightening my legs and crossing my arms over my chest, "I meant, why do I have to go?"

With a bored sigh, my father's hand is wrapped my throat, putting just enough pressure on my neck to hurt. I don't flinch. He has done this before and I've been in worse situations with rival packs.

"I am your father and your Alpha, Kai." He growls the words, his eyes flickering a muted green.

I huff, my nostrils flaring as I mutter 'yes sir' through gritted teeth.

Relaxing back into his seat my father resumes his reading as though he hadn't calmly choked his own son.

The rest of the ride continues in silence as I glare out of the tinted limousine windows.

He's been such a tight ass ever since mom died. I've mourned, and I occasionally do get sad, but hurting your kid is just pathetic.

And the main thing that people choose to say is that I don't understand because I haven't met my mate.

My sister, Kalaya, met hers at the age of sixteen, and immediately left our pack to be with him. Neither my father nor I wanted to accept it, but it was proven that nothing could keep them apart.

But, Chris treats her well which is good enough for me.

My father and I arrive at the new school fairly quickly, stopping at the large iron gates to be allowed in.

Then, with the Beta following us, we make it into the central office building.

"Your job here is to continue learning, keep a low profile, and stay away from Karen," my father begins lecturing me. "Now, when we enter the office I need you to be careful what you say. Alpha Leo adopted a human daughter. She's been with him for a while, but they haven't told her what they are. Do you understand?" he asks, patronizingly.

"Yes father," I answer.

A human? I'd known about her, hadn't met her, but it was still surprising that little tidbit hadn't been mentioned.

It's not uncommon for them to be accepted into a pack but, usually, it's as someone's mate. Human adoption is practically unheard of in the werewolf community.

We walk into the room, which is painted navy blue, and decorated nicely with mahogany furniture.

"Ah. Hello... Joseph." The stocky blonde man slowly addresses my father, unsure of how to speak to him without using his title.

"Hello Leo, it's nice to see you again. You know Kai," my father says dismissively, lazily waving his hand in my direction.

"Hey, Kai. This is my daughter, Rebecca." Following his hand gesture, I am greeted with the sight of a beautiful girl. Her hair is pale brown, a unique shade that is just slightly too dark to be classified as blonde, with bangs that brush her eyelashes and a small ponytail on either side of the front of her head, with the rest of it hanging straight down her back.

Her eyes, like her hair are a unique color, a striking grey, contrasting nicely with her tan skin.

"Hi," she says timidly, hiding her mouth behind her hands.