Epilogue

Rebecca

. . .

My adoptive father is dead.

So is my adoptive father's secret son.

And the girl who helped them try to force me to use my powers for evil.

So many people, so many lives lost.

And as much as I wish I didn't feel this way—I couldn't be happier.

I should feel some level of guilt, knowing that so many people died because of me, but with the catalysts behind the destruction permanently out of the picture, I can't feel anything but relief.

I finally met Kai's sister, and the two could practically be twins. They didn't talk much when they were apart, but that didn't mean their relationship was weak.

Because the second she arrived, they embraced, grieving the loss of their last living parent, and then were talking about all that had happened, not letting anyone get a word in edgewise.

Quite frankly I spent most of the few days when Kai came under his sister's care with Chris, his sister's husband.

He's the beta of his pack, and is really similar to Chev, quiet and unassuming, but otherwise strong as a goddamned tank.

Speaking of Chev, he and Kai, and Heaven of course, have been practically joined at the hip since Chev's brush with death.

And I'm fairly certain that Heaven still manages to thank me at least once a day.

"What's that face for?" Max asks, peeking over at me, just the barest of glances away from the screen as she and Kai battle in Mortal Kombat.

"Nothing," I shake my head with a smile, clearing away my thoughts.

Kai mindlinks me, something I've just barely gotten used to. "Are you hungry, Becks?"

I shake my head again, a wry smile on my lips.

Max gives me another questioning glance, but looks away as the TV announces, 'Raiden wins.' Laughing teasingly at Kai, she jumps to receive a victory kiss from Azrael.

Another thing I've grown used to. Azrael created more reapers, relinquishing much of her duties to them so that she could spend time with Max who'd come way too close to the brink on purpose, way too many times.

Azrael, like Chev, doesn't speak much, making it abundantly clear that she was more keen to observe than to do anything else.

It's weird, with all of us; Heaven, who lies face down on the bed beside Chev, his hand clasped tightly in her own, Mason, who's about to bid us farewell to go check on Ms. Manson, who's any second from giving birth, Max and Azrael who are about ten seconds from victory sex, and Kai who pouts at the screen like a petulant four year old, shoved into this one room.

At a glance you'd never think we'd be friends.

I realize Kai's asked me a question and I haven't responded when I can feel him teasing around the edges of my mind but with an imploring look in his direction, it fades.

"And to think—if he'd changed your last name, let the Swedes cut off an ear, and let Thia live, you'd be ruling the world in a universal dictatorship while dressed like something from the world's most disgusting hentai," whispers Azrael, who is locked tightly in Max's embrace.

The entire room pauses, and even Mason fumbles a bit at the door before turning around, his narrow eyed gaze soldered to Azrael who looks as though she's said something completely normal.

A collective sound of varying versions of, 'What?' fills the room.

Azrael nods. "Yeah, there's a fuckton of futures. But, butterfly effect it the right way, and you're a succubus dominatrix who throws mountains at people," she murmurs, before pursing her lips. "That was not a favorable possibility."

I gawp at her, barely comprehending the smorgashbord of words that just left her mouth whilst Kai tries and fails to hold back a laugh.

"Seriously?"

Azrael turns to meet my gaze. "Yes."

Right, of course. Azrael doesn't know how to joke.

"Which ear?" Chev snorts, earning a smack on the shoulder from Kai, who has also resorted to broken snorts.

"The left one."

We dissolve into laughter and I see that now, surrounded by more friends than I thought I'd have in my lifetime, with my mom, who is apparently a closeted badass, singlehandedly running our school, that the perfect family has chosen me.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

. . .

Well damn, that's cheesier than a wheel of camembert.

Would you believe this goddamned book was supposed to be 25 chapters? 

So... It's done! And now I'd like to personally dedicate this chapter to everyone who took the time out of their day to read my book.

I took it down for a while, and the second it was up, you all were reading again, and not to mention those days I missed my own updates.

I'm thankful to have readers as wonderful and loyal as you all.

No more chapters, but always remember to stay safe.♥