{33}

(hey angels, chapter 34 is coming sometime today, so don't hate me, but I decided to change whose perspective it was from, so I added part of the original version to the end of this one)

. . .

Kai

. . .

We head back to the school, Karen still bound in the trunk and the rest of us mentally preparing for battle.

Frankie has reaffirmed her position as my friend and ally and flipped through Leo's convoluted planner book.

We know where he is, that Rebecca's ex is helping him, we know his motives—that prideful fucker—but we still don't know what the fuck he's doing with my mate. Or why he killed his.

Of all things, that's what he didn't write down.

Bastard.

My need to be with Rebecca is suffocating. It steals my breath with every poke and prod at her physically and emotionally, but no insight, no direct link to her, I get the barest of glimpse into how my father feels.

Nothing matters. Nothing but her.

I feel my abdomen contract and find myself hunching over in the front seat, grabbing the 'oh shit' handle to steel myself whilst my left hand tears through the camel leather of the car's seat.

Rebecca's probably feeling starved by now and that little scar faced fucker has better not touch her.

We pull up to the school, and before Mace has even brought the car to a complete stop, I'm bounding toward my father's office.

"Dad," I roar as I burst into the room. Whatever I had planned to say next escapes me as I take in the scene in front of me. "Sierra!" I shout for her as I rush toward my father. I can hear his breathing, but his heart rate is way too fast, and the mell of wolfsbane that emanates from the arrow protruding from his chest is too strong to not be lethal.

My father's once crisp suit is covered in blood and his eyes are closed as he holds up a hand to stop me coming any closer. He's concious—barely.

"What happened, Dad?"

As I await his answer, I examine his wound as best as I can without coming any closer. He's been shot fairly close to his neck, as though his shooter was aiming for the same spot that killed Reese but missed, clipping him high on his shoulder.

Leo did this.

It may not be his handiwork, but he orchestrated this.

I'll kill him.

"Got shot. Couldn't mind-link. Shouting hurts... I saw your mother for a few seconds," he murmurs the last part with a wistful smile on his face and I smile sadly with him.

It's one of the only things he's ever wanted.

"Dad, who shot you?"

He coughs, droplets of blood hitting me in the face, though I could care less about that. 

Sierra comes bustling in the office, trailed by Mace, Chev, Frankie, and now Heaven and Max as well.