{15}

Updating now, so I don't forget later. It's ~ 4-pm where I am, wbu?
. . .

Rebecca

. . .

"Ahhhhh!"

My ears are filled with the sound of my classmates' screams, but all I can hear is my own blood thrumming through my veins. 

But, unlike my classmates, I'm unable to scream as the world flips until the only thing preventing everyone from crashing into the ceiling is a seatbelt. 

Remembering that Kai is next to me, I scramble to grasp his hand, fighting to take oxygen into my lungs.

I'd always been proud of how calm I remained when I was kidnapped. I hadn't been hurt by my captors, but their initial taking of me had left me wary around cars for a while.

Leo and Reese had been patiently accomodating, having me be homeschooled for the remainder of the year since I'd had panic attacks around any and all cars.

I remember it as vividly as any other day. Kai calls out to me, but his voice sounds muffled, almost as if I'm drowning. As I begin remembering, I find myself being dragged so deep into my mind that I'm unable to respond.

. . .

Rebecca (a year ago)

. . .

I pout my lips in the mirror as I apply a layer of watermelon chapstick—Slate's favorite.

I smile as I begin to think about my boyfriend. We've been together for nearly six months, and our anniversary is tomorrow.

Slate is nothing but kind to me, if a little possessive.

"Rebecca, it's time to go!"

Reese, I mean my mom calls to me from downstairs. The middle aged couple had been in New York on a weekend vacation when they realized they wanted a child. As far as I could discern, Reese had been declared infertile, and Leo was shooting nothing but blanks, so the couple had come in, hoping for a small child, but instead chose... me.

I toss my chapstick into my purse, and make a mad dash downstairs, grabbing a banana and home-made granola bar and giving Reese a peck on the cheek as I leave.

Once I'm in the car, an SUV stretch limo of all things, I begin to nibble on my snack, though eventually, I just end up passing the banana to my driver, unable to eat any more.

We're about fifteen minutes from the school, stopped at a red light.

I'm looking out of the window, my watching the fast moving river to my left when all of a sudden another vehicle, a truck I think, crashes into us. The world begins to do somersaults, turning thrice, before landing on its side.

My eyes fly open, though I hadn't remembered holding them closed. I must have hit my head on the seat pretty hard, as my vision blurs. 

As I look around, my vision remaining unfocused, hoping for help, my hands fumble for the latch of my seatbelt. I begin hyperventilating, forcing myself not to panic as the limo begins to slide, slipping toward the river. I find that my desire not to panic is pointless as the car begins to fill with water.