{19}

Rebecca 

. . .

"What?"

It's nothing like it appears on television, where I instantly have questions and deny everything, or worse, accept it as fact the second he says it. I just... what?

"C'mere." I allow Kai to drag me into his desired position, our movement causing the air mattress to make a crinkling sound. He places my head on his lap, and though my heat has returned, I would much rather be in pain than be without an explanation. 

I'm inches away from his penis, and if I turned my head, it would be in my mouth, but with the way Kai begins to stroke my hair, using his fingers to detangle the knotted mess, I realize that his plans aren't sexual.

"Kai," I whimper involuntarily. With the lack of stimulation, my heat becomes debilitating and I paw aimlessly at the parts of him I can reach until Kai shushes me.

"I know. But—and believe me when I say I know how creepy this sounds—I need you to not be able to run from me." He takes a breath before he begins. "You wanted to know why this is happening to you, right?"

I nod, the motion feeling odd.

Kai audibly swallows. "I am a werewolf. My father is one. Your parents are too. Most of the school, as well as other parts of the world."

When I open my mouth to object or call him crazy, Kai covers it with his large hand.

"Eons ago, I uh, some humans hung with wolves. Evolved to survive the only way they knew. Found out most of that evolution was just magic from a bored goddess who they began to pray too. Yadda yadda, we turn into wolves when we need to, or want too. Full moon makes it more likely to happen out of anger. And we each get a soul mate."

I push his hand away. He's crazy. They're all crazy. They aren't harvesting organs. They're a cult of crazies. "Okay. So if that's... true. What's happening to me?"

Kai sighs. "Female wolves go into heat during mating season. But since the Moon Goddess saw that our human halves weren't bound to just loving werewolves, she made it so that all females would go into heat. Once a month... until they'd hdssks."

"What?"

Ka rolls his eyes before he mumbles his reply. "Have sex."

I nod. "Right. That's a new one."

I turn my head and find that Kai is nodding as well. "Yeah, well... Wait, what?"

"Out of all the crap you could have said to try to convince your already willing girlfriend into sex, you choose that?"

Kai laughs darkly, the sound far from humorous. "Willing? You think you're willing? Didn't you just hear me?"

"I heard you. And you sound psyc—"

"Psychotic? I sound like a psychopath? Right," he scoffs, hesitating before reluctantly continuing to drag his fingers through my hair. "It'll take you a while for you to get used to it. I understand."

I sigh, relaxing into his touch. "Why are you doing this? Making this up? It's not funny and serves no purpose."

"It's the truth."