{21}

Rebecca

. . .

"What's happening now?" I sob, arms flailing aimlessly, hoping to grab hold of Kai. My back hurts. Like really hurts. Like my spine is being split in two.

Kai's response is just as panicked as mine. "I don't—I don't know," he places a hand on my forehead.

I wasn't aware that I'd closed my eyes but as they fly open, I see Kai's genuinely frightened features roaming over my body, searching for the cause of my distress.

"KAIIIII!" 

"Fuck, okay! What do I do? Do I get ice, or-or-or heat?! What's happening to you?!" His brown eyes become glassy, flashing a muddy green as he visibly wars with himself on whether touching me would be helpful or harmful.

A  pinching pressure causes the skin on my back to tighten and once again, I cry out. As the pressure tugs on my entire being, rendering me otherwise immobilized, I find that my vision has begun to blur.

I've physically blocked out the worst of the pain, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel it. My body distorts with unwilling movements and I let out a sound akin to that of a velociraptor as with several not so suden tears, the skin on my back ruptures.

"Ah," I moan, not really able to say much else. "Ahhh."

I allow my eyes to slide closed as at once any pain I felt just fades to nearly pleasant tingles. I'm bent over on my hands and knees, panting heavily when my senses which I hadn't even known were gone begin to reacquaint themselves with me.

"Holy, shit," Kai whispers, finally touching me.

Only he doesn't—not really. He touches whatever protrudes from my back, whatever it is. It's not weighty, feeling quite thin actually, the resulting sensation feeling as if he was touching my hair.

"What?" I pant, looking up at Kai. "What is it?"

I frown as I look at him. He looks... like he's glowing red. And not in the embarassed sense. 

As Kai holds up a placating finger and makes a mad dash for an unknown tool somewhere in the cave, I realize that the room darkening glow that surrounded him had come from me.

The shine is coming from my back and instantly—idiotically—I try to turn around and get a better look at the source. 

Frantic and confused, I'm sure I'd look like a moron to an outsider as I chase the shiny shit on my back like a dog with its tail.

Realizing it's getting me nowhere, I slow down and my eyes widen as I finally catch a clear glimpse at the gimmering, iridescent culprit... or culprits.

Jutting through the somehow healed skin on my back, were a pair of wings?!

"Kaaaaaaiiiiiiiii!?"

As if it never ended my hyperventilation begins anew as I allow myself to panic.

I'm crazy. I've hit my head and I'm seeing things. I've allowed Kai's crazy to rub off on me. 

Except. . .

. . . 

 . . . 

I definitely SAW him turn into a werewolf, and back into a person. And that damned heat that plagued me for days is gone.

Why can't I have wings?

Running so fast he nearly stumbles into the water, Kai returns with a mirror in hand. 

"Uh... here?"

Forcing a small smile I practically snatch it from his grasp and hold it just over my shoulder, getting a good look at the thin pieces of flesh.

The blood colored flaps draw my gaze almost instantly, webbed like a bat's, but in the shape of a butterfly. Or a demonic Tinkerbell, I muse.

They remain still, the light they emit flickering as it slowly dims. I lift a hand reaching to touch their reflection in the Beauty and the Beast-esque mirror. With the movement of my arm comes my wing, reacting just like any other body part, causing me to jump.

Willing myself to tamp down my anxiety I laugh to myself, noting that Kai makes no move to be apart of my new self exploration.

This time as I look in the mirror, I find myself trying to flex my newfound muscles at will and with just a smidge of concentration my wings begin to flap in a butterfly stroke, before increasing to a quick flutter.

"The faster they move, the brighter they glow," I murmur to myself. "I won—WAH!" I drop the mirror, allowing it to fall, thankfully onto the air mattress with a clack when I begin to float, my wings causing me to lift from where I was safely located on the ground.

"Woah," Kai cries out in alarm, his hands scrambling to grab my hips and tugging me down before I can drift too far. 

As I become grounded once ore, the complete what the fuckery of today washes over me. Trembling slightly, I turn around, little points on the bottoms of my wings that I hadn't before scrape against the air mattress, threatening to poke a hole in it. "So you're a werewolf," I murmur, my gaze centering on Kai. "What the fuck am I?"

Kai visibly swallows, his Adam's apple bobbing as he does so. "I don't know," he says, voice laced with all of his unspoken emotions. Fear, confusion, regret... wonder. "But we're damned sure going to find out."

Neither of us says anything more, but we begin to fix up the cave. Putting boxes back into place, deflating the air mattress, and putting on our now dry and very wrinkled uniforms. I can't get into my top without hurting my wings, until I realize that they phase straight through the material. That's... functional, I guess.

As though sensing my uncertainty at the depth of the water, passed the naturally formed steps, Kai hops in first, his muscular body breaking the rhythmic rings caused by the waterfall and forcing new ones outward. As he resurfaces, he gives me an almost imperceptible head nod, motioning for me to come on.

Still hesitant, I lower myself to the shallowest part of the water and clamber onto Kai's back, tucking my legs around his waist and wrapping my arms around his neck. As I do, I involuntariy clench him harder, letting out a quiet 'yip' as my wings touched the unexpectedly cold water.

Not having to be told this time, I close my eyes and hold my breath as we pass underneath the waterfall, resoaking our clothes and hair which had once been dry,

I inhale deeply once we've pass through the liquid curtain, eyes opening but cringing back at the brightness of the sun as Kai swims us to the shore.

When we reach the grass he puts me down, and I note with surprise that the greenery seems to wrap around my palm, forming grassy bracelets and blooming beneath my touch.

Whoa.

"Hey," I whisper in astonishment, needing to show Kai. "Look at th—"

. . .

Did I make this convoluted, twisty-turny fuckled up storyline because my second book was such a dud?

. . .

. . .

. . .

Nahhhhhhhhhh

A/N: Therapy sucks but, next update's on Friday!

😊✌🏽