{8}

Rebecca

. . .

Time seems to blur together with Kai by my side.

I've been getting used to being with him, but I also can't shake the fear like everyone else I placed on a pedestal, he's going to leave me at some point. It's much too soon for unprecedented 'big talks' and Kai doesn't want to push me into anything else he feels is too much.

It chips away at my heart every time I see him settle for what little I give him, little facts about my life, random memories, but he doesn't complain.

He hardly ever does, which is for some reason more frightening than if he did it all the time.
I pull all of my hair up into a ponytail on either side of my head for the first time in a long time, securing each with a hairband before bounding out of the locker room.

We share a locker room with the girl's lacrosse team, the only girl's sports team any of the parents wished to fund, aside from the swim team. However, it also connects to the gym, which is where the cheerleading tryouts are being held.

We have a set of judges who aren't on the team, and per my request, not the principals, their son or one of the other girls' boyfriends. On the panel is the cheerleading coach, the eleventh-grade math and twelfth grade English teachers, as well as the secretary Mr. Macabee and... Kai?!

Instantly I sprint toward the table, squatting down so I'm not seen as the other girls stretch. "What are you doing here? I told them not to let you judge!"

Kai has the nerve to look flustered. "I know! I told them that too! Leo put me here, and I'm not arguing with your father," he whisper-shouts his reply, looking around to make sure that no one sees us talking. "I think he wants me to push you through in case there is anyone who kicks a little higher."

I purse my lips at him and furrow my brow. "There's only one of you and three of them. Exactly how much of an impact do you have?"

His tan skin manages to pale. "Mace is here as a tie-breaker," he offers weakly. "Please don't be mad at me, I didn't want to do this. I was planning on sitting in the bleachers so I could watch your tits bounce in that shirt!"

I scowl at him, having enough of an answer to my question. "Vote honestly or I sleep in Max's room."

The platinum blonde and I have become friends quite quickly, bonding over the TV show that Kai seems to hate. Though she likes Supernatural just as much as I do, she must have talked to Kai at some point as they both maintain that there are some false facts in the show.

Kai nods, and I stalk toward the other girls, sitting on the floor beside Frankie as I do my stretches.

"Looks like you have even more of an unfair advantage," a voice comes from somewhere behind Frankie.

I look around for the culprit, finding Karen. I give her a wan smile. I hadn't thought I'd made too bad of an impression on her when we first met, but it appears she doesn't feel the same.

"No. He's not supposed to be here but since he is, I made him promise to vote honestly," I state firmly, looking her straight in the eye.

"Well you gotta admit; we've never seen you cheer, and your daddy and your boyfriend's daddy runs the place. And now, said boyfriend is deciding whether or not you get on the team." This time, the hurtful words come from Frankie, and I'm shocked.

I vaguely hear a whistle being blown and we're told to stand as I respond with the only thing that comes to mind. "He's your best friend too."

Frankie laughs, straightening her sleeves as she stands. "But I'm not the one he sleeps with at night."